ADVERTISEMENT

Boy- Alabama has some great running backs...

onechase

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2005
Seems like they get hit and still pick up additional yardage. They pick up 4, 5, 6 extra yards every play always falling forward.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Seems like they get hit and still pick up additional yardage. They pick up 4, 5, 6 extra yards every play always falling forward.
Bama has had a 5 star RB recruit in every recruiting class but one since 2014. They also have the #1RB in the country committed for next season. They are literally signing all the best players every season.

-I took a look at their 2013 class that didn’t have a 5 star back. They still signed four, 4 star RBs which included Derrick Henry and Alvin Kamara.
-The other season they failed to sign a 5 star RB was 2016 but they still landed a 6.0, 4 star back.

I’d be willing to bet that there are more 5 star RBs on Bama’s bench than there are total 5 star players in the entire B1G West!

Bama has had a 5 star RB recruit in every recruiting class but one since 2014. They also have the #1RB in the country committed for next season. They are literally signing all the best players every season.

-I took a look at their 2013 class that didn’t have a 5 star back. They still signed four, 4 star RBs which included Derrick Henry and Alvin Kamara.
-The other season they failed to sign a 5 star RB was 2016 but they still landed a 6.0, 4 star back.

I’d be willing to bet that there are more 5 star RBs on Bama’s bench than there are total 5 star players in the entire B1G West!
That's why I still say the 85 scholarship limitation hurts the northern schools and helps the southern ones, the hot bed for recruiting is the south right now, even with the new rule you have honor the scholarship for 4 years, why do you think Troy and other no name schools are really competitive, it all under the table the get all the sec kids that don't make the two deep after 2 years, and Troy is just a example there are other no names

Imagine meeting up with Nick Saban in a school gymnasium. You and Saban are going to be captains of some dodge ball teams. You get to choose players, but Nick gets to choose his entire team before you get to pick. That's pretty much what's going on competitively for most teams going against Alabama.

That's why I still say the 85 scholarship limitation hurts the northern schools and helps the southern ones, the hot bed for recruiting is the south right now, even with the new rule you have honor the scholarship for 4 years, why do you think Troy and other no name schools are really competitive, it all under the table the get all the sec kids that don't make the two deep after 2 years, and Troy is just a example there are other no names

I've wondered how the rules could be changed to bring Alabama and Clemson back to earth a bit. I think all options should be explored including even raising the limit of 85. I wonder a rule in line with the old 8/5 basketball rule would reign them in. Something that would hamper teams that are over signing each year and sending away transfers every year. Conversely, teams that can hold onto players for 4-5 years would benefit. I would think that players who go pro early would be exempted.

I've wondered how the rules could be changed to bring Alabama and Clemson back to earth a bit. I think all options should be explored including even raising the limit of 85. I wonder a rule in line with the old 8/5 basketball rule would reign them in. Something that would hamper teams that are over signing each year and sending away transfers every year. Conversely, teams that can hold onto players for 4-5 years would benefit. I would think that players who go pro early would be exempted.
Increasing the scholarship limit would only help those schools. The limit was instated to even the playing field, so powerhouse teams couldn’t load up on all the good players. Back in the day we would give full rides to guys we never intended to play, just to keep them from the Iowa State’s of the world.

Imagine meeting up with Nick Saban in a school gymnasium. You and Saban are going to be captains of some dodge ball teams. You get to choose players, but Nick gets to choose his entire team before you get to pick. That's pretty much what's going on competitively for most teams going against Alabama.
It’s like Saban’s playing EA Sports NCAA Football Dynasty on easy. It doesn’t matter if they have great or below average coaches and/or play callers. All that matters is that they keep their kids in check and they keep getting the top kids each year.

Reactions: TFrazier
Increasing the scholarship limit would only help those schools. The limit was instated to even the playing field, so powerhouse teams couldn’t load up on all the good players. Back in the day we would give full rides to guys we never intended to play, just to keep them from the Iowa State’s of the world.
It sure seemed like back then you had more competition, from USC, Washington to Nebraska Oklahoma Michigan Ohio state a couple of sec schools couple of ACC schools several independents, as of now seems like everything is staying in the Sec or acc. So imo the 85 scholarship limits aren't the answer either

Alabama’s number one running back was only a 3 star out of Tulsa. No offers from either OK or OK State. He is projected as a top NFL pick.

Their top two running backs are studs, but I wasn't impressed with Najee Harris. I think he's going to get passed up on the depth chart in coming years.

He's not their number one back.

Alabama rotates 3 backs very often so it’s not like he gets no carries or comes in for mop up duty. He contributes in their offense and they don’t miss much with him in and Damien Harris sitting on the bench.

You're probably right. I'm just saying that any and all options should be explored. The teams at the top are way too dominant and there's no end in sight at this point.

Reactions: headcard
Alabama's dynasty isn't ending anytime soon. Unfortunately Alabama and Clemson are hurting college football.

The cable sports revolution, led by ESPN, has changed the face of sports. College sports used to be regional, reported largely by newspapers, and one team got pretty much the same publicity as another. As a Big 10 fan when I was a kid, part of the intrigue of the Rose Bowl was that you really had no idea how good the Pac 8 teams such as USC, UCLA or Washingon were. Chances were, you'd never seen them play. It was rare for college games, even for good teams, to be televised.

In the '50s and '60s, you'd see teams such as LaSalle, San Francisco, Bradley, Loyola-Chicago and Texas Western competing for national basketball championships.

When ESPN came along, some leagues benefitted immediately. In basketball, the Big East was virtually created for TV and quickly became a powerhouse. The ACC, already a good league, became a lot better. Both of them were Eastern time zone leagues whose games could be broadcast at convenient times across the country. On the other hand, the Pacific league, whose games are played when much of the country had gone to bed, has not seen a similar impact. Their BB league just had the worst OOC record of any P5 conference in the past 20 years.

Demographics have changed, making the south a more fertile recruiting area for many sports. And if you get a run of success, such as Coach K had at Duke and Saban has had in football at Alabama, you become an ESPN demigod whose actions are constantly before the public. Look for your team's football score on the scroll at the bottom of the TV screen on a Saturday, and you'd better be top 25 or it's going to be a long, long time before you see it. Recruiting classes are constantly rated, bolstering the impregnable image of the already high and mighty. How many Notre Dame classes have been ranked in the top 10-15 the past year vs. how many teams that high Notre Dame has actually produced?

It is what it is, and it will be tough to change. USA Today has suggested going to 70 scholarships.

Reactions: kerpal_68
Wow, that is just not fair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT