ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stoops retiring

“After 18 years at the University of Oklahoma, I’ve decided to step down as the head football coach. I understand there has been some speculation about my health. My health was not the deciding factor in this decision and I’ve had no incidents that would prevent me from coaching. I feel the timing is perfect to hand over the reins. The program is in tremendous shape. We have outstanding players and coaches and are poised to make another run at a Big 12 and national championship. We have new state-of-the-art facilities and a great start on next year’s recruiting class. The time is now because Lincoln Riley will provide a seamless transition as the new head coach, capitalizing on an excellent staff that is already in place and providing familiarity and confidence for our players. Now is simply the ideal time for me and our program to make this transition."

More at the link

http://kfor.com/2017/06/07/ive-fulfilled-my-purpose-here-at-ou-bob-stoops-speaks-out-on-retirement/
No pressure on the next guy after that rant. Maybe he wasnt impressed by there talent in the off season.

I can understand on that. He has had a lot of success and has been paid handsomely.

With his success comes a petty media just aching to tear people down for their own gratification.

His statement makes me think he had this planned out for a while, but wanted to hand the reins over to who he wanted to. Tough for OU to look for a replacement coach now. Lincoln Riley gets his shot to see what he can do.
Bingo. I wonder if the AD was out of town when he frocked Lincoln as the new coach.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Terrific coach, ran a clean program, expected and got much from his players.

Excellent point. OU was largely without scandal while he was there. There is a very real possibility he was the first Sooner coach to run a clean program in Norman. And he won a ton of games doing it. Shocking, really.

Terrific coach, ran a clean program, expected and got much from his players.

Bob Stoops was one of the good guys and Michigan would have been lucky to have him.

Good luck to him in all his future endeavors, Boomer Sooner

Go Blue

He would have been welcomed as HC by most any college football program. Rock solid.

Excellent point. OU was largely without scandal while he was there. There is a very real possibility he was the first Sooner coach to run a clean program in Norman. And he won a ton of games doing it. Shocking, really.
If I were AD@NU and I needed a new coach Stoops would be my first call. The guy can coach!! I've always said that he is from the TO Camp of coaches. He can flat out coach.

no one comes out if college athletics without some bruises on their reputation, but for the amount cash he packed away, who would give 2 sh*ts....?

I always think that too but now I am starting to wonder if some of these head coaches, especially the ones that started young and have made a fortune, have started thinking "I don't need this anymore, I don't need to harassment from fans and the complaining and the recruiting trips. I am rich and can retire now and do some pregame shows or some color commentary"
I'm surprised some of them keep coaching as long as they do for that reason. Is it ego or does momma's spending habits necessitate keeping the gravy train rolling as long as you can? When is enough enough? .

my guess is he is coaching again within a year ala Urby at OSU, just my thoughts, I find it rather odd he retires in June, something is amass in sooner land.

I'm surprised some of them keep coaching as long as they do for that reason. Is it ego or does momma's spending habits necessitate keeping the gravy train rolling as long as you can? When is enough enough? .
I suppose for a lot of them they just really like the job, they are usually working with friends, they are doing what they love and lets face it, we love hearing the stories about how hard the staffs are working and blah blah...but there is a ton of downtime and even when you are at the office it is with your friends.

Now, it isn't like the "good old days" where they could all go out and hit up a bar after practice and after games like Switzer would do but I am sure they still have fun.

But like I said, I am sure that all the lame fans being super annoying starts to wear on them a bit.

I suppose for a lot of them they just really like the job, they are usually working with friends, they are doing what they love and lets face it, we love hearing the stories about how hard the staffs are working and blah blah...but there is a ton of downtime and even when you are at the office it is with your friends.

Now, it isn't like the "good old days" where they could all go out and hit up a bar after practice and after games like Switzer would do but I am sure they still have fun.

But like I said, I am sure that all the lame fans being super annoying starts to wear on them a bit.
Well I read an article this morning that reminded me that his dad did in fact die coaching a high school football game at 2 years younger than Bob is now. It also stated that he has some heart disease now. That would make me think twice about wanting to keep up the grind.

There was the whole car dealership scandal...
Stoops was not at all at fault in the car dealership situation. There was no possible way for him to know that Bomar was not showing up for his job. That's a compliance function. When it came out, Stoops immediately threw his starting quarterback off the team. No excuses, no attempts to keep him. I'm real impressed with Stoops. He's class all the way, and I'd have loved to have him coach NU.

Stoops was not at all at fault in the car dealership situation. There was no possible way for him to know that Bomar was not showing up for his job. That's a compliance function. When it came out, Stoops immediately threw his starting quarterback off the team. No excuses, no attempts to keep him. I'm real impressed with Stoops. He's class all the way, and I'd have loved to have him coach NU.

I will beg to differ there. At that time in my career, I was working pretty closely to Big Red Sports and Imports. It was pretty common knowledge that the previous owner was paying players. For a couple of summers, he didn't even have them on the payroll, then before the summer 2006, he was advised by "someone at OU" that he had to hire these guys and make it officials before the school got in trouble. But the owner did a piss poor job of record keeping. I was told one of the dealership employees (an ATM Aggie) turned them into President Boren and posted about it on TexAgs. At that point OU compliance dept investigated and Bomar and his roommate JD Quinn were booted but there were at least 5 other players working at Big Red that summer. Stoops pretended not to know, but as I said, it was common knowledge in Norman and if he didn't know, it was because he didn't want to.

Momma pulls down high six figures herself. She doesn't need Bob's money.

ADVERTISEMENT