ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stoops is on the clock...

red rover 70

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2011
I think before Chip or Scott get any love from Moos he will give the old ball coach a call.

Go...

I'm 99.9999% sure he is done coaching at this level. It just wouldn't make any sense for him to go somewhere else.
Did it make sense for Urban Meyer or Nick Saban to go somewhere else?

Yep, the first thing you do, if you have a vacancy, is make Stoops say no. He is the new Urban Myer, in that regard.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I think you kick the tires to gauge interest. I just dont believe you go into thinking he is going to be your guy. He left OU with a Heisman candidate at QB and an outside chance to get to the CFP. He has high school aged sons that play football, that at least have a chance of playing on Saturdays and he wants to watch them play. He doesn't need the money. There is a Youngstown connection and that may be tough to overcome. He and Bo may not be best buddies, but I am sure they have spoken over the years.

I think you kick the tires to gauge interest. I just dont believe you go into thinking he is going to be your guy. He left OU with a Heisman candidate at QB and an outside chance to get to the CFP. He has high school aged sons that play football, that at least have a chance of playing on Saturdays and he wants to watch them play. He doesn't need the money. There is a Youngstown connection and that may be tough to overcome. He and Bo may not be best buddies, but I am sure they have spoken over the years.

Great points... and just imagine what Bob must be thinking?

"Bo got them to multiple championship games and I know I'm a way better coach and recruiter"

Here's the response when Big Game Bob gets the call:
gKqNY.gif

Bob’s brother is on Bo’s YSU staff. Yes I’d be pretty surprised if Bo and Bob haven’t kicked it around since Bo left Norman.

Bob is also known to be doubling the size of his Chicago row house by connecting/opening it into the adjoining address. If he’s coaching again anytime soon it’s for the Bears.

I'm 99.9999% sure he is done coaching at this level. It just wouldn't make any sense for him to go somewhere else.
Well the rumor mill says he didn't like the fact that he was told he had to groom lincoln Riley for the HC job when stoops retire. So to avoid it he just stepped down.

Didn't think he had the moniker of the old ball coach.

Read some articles about the interests he and his wife have in business. Sounded like they were both well established and set financially so money is not a draw.

If you are approaching it from the point to say you tried then by all means make the call. He now has no staff to bring with him.

Didn't think he had the moniker of the old ball coach.

Read some articles about the interests he and his wife have in business. Sounded like they were both well established and set financially so money is not a draw.

If you are approaching it from the point to say you tried then by all means make the call. He now has no staff to bring with him.
Yeah that was Spurrier's name but I threw that in there...RollingLaugh

Nice responses from everyone...
Sometimes you just gotta throw conventional wisdom out the window and make the call cuz you just might get a response you weren't counting on.

I guess now we just sit back and see what happens and hopefully we beat Purdue this weekend.

I would personally go to Nebraska, however, if I wasn't a big NU fan, I'd take Florida, Florida St., USC, or UCLA.
I think you have to factor in the fact hat Bob was the head coach in Norman. Norman is about as far away from USC and UCLA as Nebraska is.

And could you imagine how PO'd Hawkeye fans would be!!! RollingLaugh

Just that by itself would be worth a phone call. :D

Nice responses from everyone...
Sometimes you just gotta throw conventional wisdom out the window and make the call cuz you just might get a response you weren't counting on.

I guess now we just sit back and see what happens and hopefully we beat Purdue this weekend.

Why not call Saban & Meyer while you're at it? Seriously. I know they'll say no but it doesn't hurt.

Reactions: jeans15
With the connections Bob had in Texas don't you think he had all of the opportunities he ever wanted there as well? It isn't that far.

If Moos doesn't make the call he will look like a $1 million idiot if Stoops accepts a position with someone else.

I didn't read through this whole thread so I might be repeating what somebody else already said.

Bob Stoops was interviewed in the last 2 weeks on ESPN XM Radio and said that he is 100% done coaching, that he decided when he is done he is done.

He said the thought of retiring came up between Signing Day and spring football. He thought a lot about it for a few months.

He said that if he still wanted to coach, he would be coaching right now.

When asked if the right school would ask him to come out of retirement to coach for them he reiterated that he is 100% done coaching and no longer has the coaching bug.

Reactions: Husker-NJ and tpmcg
Quick question:

Other than the title of this thread, what evidence is there that Bob Stoops is, in fact, "on the clock", or has any interest whatsoever in taking over here?

I didn't read through this whole thread so I might be repeating what somebody else already said.

Bob Stoops was interviewed in the last 2 weeks on ESPN XM Radio and said that he is 100% done coaching, that he decided when he is done he is done.

He said the thought of retiring came up between Signing Day and spring football. He thought a lot about it for a few months.

When asked if the right school would ask him to come out of retirement to coach for them he reiterated that he is 100% done coaching and no longer has the coaching bug.

So this is all coach-speak and there's a chance? ;)

Reactions: TwinsRRUs

You still make the call.

I would be very surprised if Bob coaches again. His dad died of a heart attack while coaching at this exact age and Bob said he has a "heart condition" himself. I think he to play golf and take it easy. I could see him as a color commentator before I see him coaching again.

Reactions: Husker-NJ and WHCSC
It don't hurt to call but I don't believe it is coach speak. His family is more important to him. His dad died at 54 from a heart attack he had while coaching his last game. Stoops doesn't want that for his family
Damn good post right here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT