ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Pelini's statement on Shawn Eichorst firing

Can I please get those 12 minutes of my life back...please? Thanks Winking

Last edited:
Yes he did seem relaxed. And genuine. I liked his response to the flag protest issue. Said his opinion and said it was only his opinion. One thing about Bo is you usually got a straight answer whether you liked it or not.

Reactions: Thomud and jeans15
Bo has a bunch of guys who can run the football.

They're a good football team.

when i look over at that other football sideline, and see that other football team, I see a good football team.

RJUMUKXBBTSRNVE.20041003010649.jpg

Watching Bo again just reminds me of the colossal mistake Perlman made when he hired Shawn Eichorst as the Huskers AD. A great opportunity was missed by Eichorst. He fires Bo. The prudent thing to do after Bo dared him to fire him. Instead of seizing the moment and hiring a great coach, Eichorst replaces a coach who absolutely detested recruiting, but still manages to win 9 or 10 games a season with a coach that hasn't come closing to replicating that win total.

Watching Bo again just reminds me of the colossal mistake Perlman made when he hired Shawn Eichorst as the Huskers AD. A great opportunity was missed by Eichorst. He fires Bo. The prudent thing to do after Bo dared him to fire him. Instead of seizing the moment and hiring a great coach, Eichorst replaces a coach who absolutely detested recruiting, but still manages to win 9 or 10 games a season with a coach that hasn't come closing to replicating that win total.
:rolleyes: You are ASSuming that he could have gotten a "great" coach to come to NU. Tuco has already stated on here that he knows of 2 SEC coaches who were contacted that we would probably have been very happy with and apparently they wanted no part of the toxic mess our program was at the time. We had an AD who was incurring the wrath of Tom hiding in the wings. We had a Chancellor who was clearly near retirement. We had a questionable level of returning talent. We had a fractured fan base divided between those who loathe Pelini and those who worship the ground he walks on. Context means everything. We needed a healer and I think Riley has done that as much as anybody can do. I would have loved to have had a Chris Peterson but he wasn't coming and anybody else with a good D-1 job wasn't leaving it for NU at the time. Now? Maybe so. IF Riley doesn't win enough people will understand if a change is made....although he did win 9 last year and looks like he has the talent on an upward trajectory with all the youngsters who are playing.

Reactions: WHCSC
And he waited a year too long to fire him. He should have done it after Pelini begged him to, following the Iowa game in 2013.

Um... Riley won 9 last year?

Reactions: timnsun
:rolleyes: You are ASSuming that he could have gotten a "great" coach to come to NU. Tuco has already stated on here that he knows of 2 SEC coaches who were contacted that we would probably have been very happy with and apparently they wanted no part of the toxic mess our program was at the time. We had an AD who was incurring the wrath of Tom hiding in the wings. We had a Chancellor who was clearly near retirement. We had a questionable level of returning talent. We had a fractured fan base divided between those who loathe Pelini and those who worship the ground he walks on. Context means everything. We needed a healer and I think Riley has done that as much as anybody can do. I would have loved to have had a Chris Peterson but he wasn't coming and anybody else with a good D-1 job wasn't leaving it for NU at the time. Now? Maybe so. IF Riley doesn't win enough people will understand if a change is made....although he did win 9 last year and looks like he has the talent on an upward trajectory with all the youngsters who are playing.

Who are these great SEC coaches? It seems to me that other than Saban none of the rest of them are worth much. Maybe Jim McElwain, but we could have tried to get him from CSU as well. Oh yeah that would have been lunacy as to some Husker fans who seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to comparing Nebraska to other schools. I don't buy your assertion TO was plotting against Eichorst. That is fantasyland talk and more than just a little bit of paranoia. Show be proof not guesses or what some guy said in a bar. I agree that Chris Petersen wasn't coming, but that has more to do with location. He played at UC Davis, coached at Portland State and Oregon before going to Boise State so I believe a Pac 12 team was always in his sights. Riley a healer? A nice guy, but I think another coach who has divided the fans just as much as Bo did. Bo won more games, but many fans couldn't stand his antics. Riles loses games but many fans view him as a nice guy, but not a good coach.. Just use this board as an example and I think you find a pretty deep divide still exists amongst the fans..

Last edited:
Once again, WOW! I need to chew on this for a minute. Maybe this isn't lunacy and excuse-making at its finest.
giphy.gif

There were a couple of quick contacts made but it wasn't the toxic environment....because there wasn't one. The truth is they weren't interested when they heard the pay range. WE were doing a value hiring again. MR is the 43 highest paid coach and that is the range we wanted to be in. WE needed to save all that extra money for assistant AD's

I will agree we eliminate a large chunk of candidates by paying less than Top 25 money. We have lost the checkbook on our way to every hire since Osborne - always going for value. It is easier to live with mistakes when you do that - if they pay huge money AND it does not work out.....that could be painful given the financial reality. So I understand the caution....but if they aren't convinced now that will not work not sure what will convince the decision makes to scratch the big check.

Reactions: Huskercigar
How the heck does ND get away with only paying Brian Kelly 1.6M? They could buy any coach they want.

There were a couple of quick contacts made but it wasn't the toxic environment....because there wasn't one. The truth is they weren't interested when they heard the pay range. WE were doing a value hiring again. MR is the 43 highest paid coach and that is the range we wanted to be in. WE needed to save all that extra money for assistant AD's

Bullshit - you don't contact someone making $3 million to discuss a job where you are only willing to pay $2.5.

Salary range is never discussed when gauging interest because you want to see who is interested in taking this particular job and who is just bucking for a raise from their current employer.

You simply pay a coach their value. Nebraska hired Richorst and made him a top 5 paid AD. To assume that they were willing to pay the market salary for the right coach is not accurate. They weren't going to pay Mike Riley Top 5 money because he isn't and wasn't a top 5 coach. The fact that even with all that excessive spending you keep preaching about, the athletic dept had a spare $5 million to put back towards academics. Money is not the issue.

In 2014 no one was leaving a good power 5 job to take a huge risk at a place like Nebraska. They had just fired their 2nd coach in 3 hires for winning more than 70% of their games. It wasn't the toxic atmosphere of Pelini, that isn't what kept people away. It was simply the fact that winning 9 and 10 games a year isn't enough.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Bullshit - you don't contact someone making $3 million to discuss a job where you are only willing to pay $2.5.

Salary range is never discussed when gauging interest because you want to see who is interested in taking this particular job and who is just bucking for a raise from their current employer.

You simply pay a coach their value. Nebraska hired Richorst and made him a top 5 paid AD. To assume that they were willing to pay the market salary for the right coach is not accurate. They weren't going to pay Mike Riley Top 5 money because he isn't and wasn't a top 5 coach. The fact that even with all that excessive spending you keep preaching about, the athletic dept had a spare $5 million to put back towards academics. Money is not the issue.

In 2014 no one was leaving a good power 5 job to take a huge risk at a place like Nebraska. They had just fired their 2nd coach in 3 hires for winning more than 70% of their games. It wasn't the toxic atmosphere of Pelini, that isn't what kept people away. It was simply the fact that winning 9 and 10 games a year isn't enough.
Overall Tuco is on the money here when it comes to established coaches. Why would an established coach in a decent Power 5 school making 3-5 million leave that situation behind to come to Lincoln and make the same or even a little more? The answer is that they wouldn't. That is why it is necessary to go after a coach doing well in either non-power five conferences (ahem...Frost or Montgomery) or coaches doing well in lower Power 5 schools (like a Fleck or maybe even a Gundy).

P.S. I can't see us firing Mike for a coordinator.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT