ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten to Try to Play in Spring 2021?

Exactly. Plus, if the B1G is really serious about playing in the spring then they can't allow their member schools to explore options of playing in the fall. Besides, whether anybody plays this fall is still in flux. There's no chess or checkers being played right now. The SEC, ACC, and Big12 won't out maneuver what the B1G couldn't. This is a game of dominoes, and big one just fell.

There using that we’ll play in the spring.. like a Dangling carrot..

No chance in hell they play in the spring. This is a kneejerk reaction to Frost's presser yesterday. It's a lame attempt to keep Nebraska from seeking opponents outside the BIG. It's keeps Nebraska legally obligated to the conference. I'm sure the lawyers are all over it.
Only thing would be if there is something somewhere in the contracts that states when the official football season is ? Maybe could get around it that the football season ends Say Jan 10th. Anything after that date is considered part of the 2021 season.

GTFO. Your passive aggressive schtick is pathetic and worn out.

we are playing this fall ... Scott Frost said so

During a press conference via Zoom on Monday afternoon, head coach Scott Frost made it clear that the Huskers were determined to play football this fall, even if meant creating their own schedule should the conference decide to postpone or cancel this season.

“We want to play a Big Ten schedule,” Frost said. “I hope that’s what happens. Our University is committed to playing no matter what that looks like and how that looks. We want to play no matter where it is and who it is, so we’ll see how all those chips fall and certainly hope it’s in the Big Ten and if it isn’t, then we’re prepared to look for other options.”

As an alumnus of a school not in the Big 10 I just say damn this sucks for you guys. I'm just glad our commissioner appears to have some stones and isn't going to cower in the corner in fear for the rest of his life. Come south and east for a year and play some ball with us because there is no chance you get anything but a half-assed attempt at an exhibition league in the Spring.

Lol at the idea that the BIG could play a conference schedule in the spring then turn around and join the rest of the conferences in the fall.

BIG cancelled this FB season, but didn't have the guts to communicate it today.

Careful. I think in the end we're likely to end up the school that let a coach off the leash and didn't have the guts to go through with it.

Seriously, this "Spring Football" thing isn't going to happen. It's appeasement, not an actual plan.

Kevin Warren is a political animal with big ambitions, and this decision is the "safest" political decision he can make - to hell with the science and the actual data..

EXACTLY. All political.

If we play, and some players contract it (even though nothing will happen to them) politics will take over and they will fire people for being "greedy".

Just make this damn thing optional. Let people take responsibility for their lives, I hate that those of us that aren't shaking in our boots have to appease a loud, annoying minority that wants everything shut down and no one can ever get sick no matter if it costs us our way of life.

If these idiots managed our money they would have us all in a money market, because any amount of risk in stocks or bonds is too great to potentially lose $1 to make $100.

EXACTLY. All political.

If we play, and some players contract it (even though nothing will happen to them) politics will take over and they will fire people for being "greedy".

Just make this damn thing optional. Let people take responsibility for their lives, I hate that those of us that aren't shaking in our boots have to appease a loud, annoying minority that wants everything shut down and no one can ever get sick no matter if it costs us our way of life.

If these idiots managed our money they would have us all in a money market, because any amount of risk in stocks or bonds is too great to potentially lose $1 to make $100.

Amen. 2020: The Weak Leading the Blind

I can’t see the SEC and ACC being the only conferences that play this year in the P5. That would just be cruel and unusual punishment for everyone else. There’s too much money to be made. If 2 conferences play, other schools with large income to gain will also play. But I could also still see no one playing.

I can’t see the SEC and ACC being the only conferences that play this year in the P5. That would just be cruel and unusual punishment for everyone else. There’s too much money to be made. If 2 conferences play, other schools with large income to gain will also play. But I could also still see no one playing.

Everyone that canceled their season deserves the consequences of that dumb f***ing decision.

Any conference or team that plays deserves the rewards that come with making a sensible decision based on science and not politics.

Seriously, this "Spring Football" thing isn't going to happen. It's appeasement, not an actual plan.

Kevin Warren is a political animal with big ambitions, and this decision is the "safest" political decision he can make - to hell with the science and the actual data.

And since the PAC 12 is the B1G's bitc- uh, "lapdog" , we're gonna tube our season too.

I hope you guys and the rest of the league figure out a way to play. I'm not ready to head to Estes Park and buy a bunch of Big Red gear, but I sure as hell will stop putting voodoo pins into into my stuffed Herbie doll on Saturdays. Go get 'em.

The Husker store in Estes has been closed for a few years.

Reactions: MikeRileyGBR
I dont get why people are saying "Big Ten postponed until the spring." That isn't what the statement said. The statement said:

"The Big Ten Conference will continue to evaluate a number of options regarding these sports, including the possibility of competition in the spring."

That doesn't sound very promising.... I think they just want to limit the backlash by pointing to the spring. Once spring gets here... they'll just say well let's just wait until the fall like always and we'll go forward with spring practice.

I dont get why people are saying "Big Ten postponed until the spring." That isn't what the statement said. The statement said:

"The Big Ten Conference will continue to evaluate a number of options regarding these sports, including the possibility of competition in the spring."

That doesn't sound very promising.... I think they just want to limit the backlash by pointing to the spring. Once spring gets here... they'll just say well let's just wait until the fall like always and we'll go forward with spring practice.
That's my interpretation as well. Kevin Warren isn't a good attorney but he's an attorney, and in typical attorney fashion he said absolutely nothing today despite speaking for several minutes and signing off on a press release.

Last edited:
This along with OSUs AD earlier .... sounds like the adults have been sent to the podiums and the children having tantrums yesterday are in time out

Exactly. Plus, if the B1G is really serious about playing in the spring then they can't allow their member schools to explore options of playing in the fall. Besides, whether anybody plays this fall is still in flux. There's no chess or checkers being played right now. The SEC, ACC, and Big12 won't out maneuver what the B1G couldn't. This is a game of dominoes, and big one just fell.
What couldnt they out maneuver??

this almost seems more difficult than going ahead with fall.

ACC/SEC/Big 12 about to pick up quite a few fans if they stick to their current plans.
It won't happen. Too many logistical issues. Recruiting season, dead of winter weather, NFL combine and draft, competing NCAA sports, and ending a season and then almost immediately starting up again.

That, and medical experts give medical opinions. If you based policy decisions on only medical doctors then Cigarettes, Alcohol, and fast food would all be illegal punishable by death, guns would be illegal, cars would be illegal.

At some point you have to consider other factors like people being able to enjoy their life.

Bingo! Well stated sir.....

If his kid plays at Mississippi St this fall your post is a laughing stock.

The children I was referring to weren’t the players

the kid is an adult - if the leaders of his conference say they can play - that is his choice

This along with OSUs AD earlier .... sounds like the adults have been sent to the podiums and the children having tantrums yesterday are in time out

this is why you have to change conferences. You can't just defy this and expect things to be normal next year.. in fact, they are a little sketchy right now I would think, given the veiled threats before and after the cancellation. I think you kind of have to go through with it now. They are expecting you not to, but if you do, things look much better on the other side.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The children I was referring to weren’t the players

the kid is an adult - if the leaders of his conference say they can play - that is his choice

I know damn well what you’re referring too.
If Warren let’s him play what does that say..

Think about that.

Reactions: Chuck003
Handling necessary COVID procedures while maintaining amateur athlete status for the players. The COVID situation didn't change in the last week since the new schedule was released. However, the momentum behind collective bargaining by the players did. The B1G and now Pac-12 are getting out ahead of this by shutting down the season.

Collective bargaining of what?

Why can't it be, anyone that doesn't want to risk playing, go sit in your dorm room and jack off.

Everyone that wants to play, let's get with it.

This isn't that f***ing complicated if you live in a free country, which we don't anymore.

Think about that.

maybe it says he raised an adult capable of weighing the risks and benefits of the options that are laid out by his up lines

Handling necessary COVID procedures while maintaining amateur athlete status for the players. The COVID situation didn't change in the last week since the new schedule was released. However, the momentum behind collective bargaining by the players did. The B1G and now Pac-12 are getting out ahead of this by shutting down the season.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/stor...eason-cancel-big-ten-we-want-to-play-movement

Until 3 other conference’s shut it down the other 2 look like wussies.

Think about that.

The part of his brain that has rational thought has been broken for a bit.
maybe it says he raised an adult capable of weighing the risks and benefits of the options that are laid out by his up lines

So BIG players aren’t adults? Only SEC players?

It is over for everyone this year. The spring? Not going to happen. Accept it and move on to Sept 2021. Unfortunately with the current mass hysteria and panic that is currently going on, I am not so sure that we will be playing a year from now either. How can this mess, in the mighty USA of all places, even be reality and not just a bad dream? Because that is exactly how it feels.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Until 3 other conference’s shut it down the other 2 look like wussies.
It depends on how you look at it. Some may look at it from player health and that debate has been beaten to death here. But if you look at it from the perspective of shutting down a season to prevent the slippery slope toward unionization then it doesn't seem all that weak. Might be wrong to squash it, but it is a strong move nonetheless.

The part of his brain that has rational thought has been broken for a bit.

So BIG players aren’t adults? Only SEC players?

The key portion of my post you are missing is “as laid out by their up lines”. The Big players up lines ... ie bosses .... decided they weren’t sanctioning football this fall. The SEC players currently have the option of playing or not

Collective bargaining of what?

Why can't it be, anyone that doesn't want to risk playing, go sit in your dorm room and jack off.

Everyone that wants to play, let's get with it.

This isn't that f***ing complicated if you live in a free country, which we don't anymore.
If it were that simple then there would be B1G football. And that was the plan up until last weekend. The COVID situation didn't change, but Trevor Lawrence did tweet out a call for a players association. In other words, a union. His call was endorsed by many players, including in the B1G. Under labor law, a union consists of employees. So the players couldn't form a union, but letting them form any kind of association would give them a seat at the table when it comes to making decisions. This is a major step toward shifting the debate in favor of forming an official union, which means paying college players. This is an entirely different ballgame than allowing players to profit off their likeness. Of course coaches at major programs like Clemson would support this idea. The NCAA, however, is a tax exempt entity recognized under Supreme Court rulings as a non-professional sports association. So unless universities are prepared to disassociate with the NCAA or to fight legal battles against federal labor law (and find middle ground between each state's laws, BTW) and Supreme Court rulings, players will be dissuaded from forming associations or anything else that is a union by another name. From the perspective of B1G universities (and now Pac-12 and I'm sure soon to be others), dealing with the short-term fallout of COVID is a far smaller loss than the long-term implications of relinquishing the amateur status of college athletes.

I'm not going to get into whether I'm for or against a players association, but this is what I gather is the rationale behind the decisions being made. Throw on top of that the even greater responsibility that presidents and chancellors have to protecting their campuses and it becomes an easy choice from their perspective.

Your sarcasm meter is broken.
the key is "almost" anyone. There has already been a couple fb players diagnosed with myocarditis. Usually that ends up being transient and goes away within a few months. But heart issues of any kind carry an ominous aura to parents and lawyers alike. i did read an article written by a CD that says they are pretty routine to treat nowadays. i think more athletes have already got covid before the season started then get the flu in an entire season. so it would be really hard to compare the 2. One has not been uncommon already and the flu is pretty uncommon among players during a season

It depends on how you look at it. Some may look at it from player health and that debate has been beaten to death here. But if you look at it from the perspective of shutting down a season to prevent the slippery slope toward unionization then it doesn't seem all that weak. Might be wrong to squash it, but it is a strong move nonetheless.
doing this isnt going to dent that movement.

Yes, and they don't want all of the top Big Ten players to hit the transfer portal.

Yes, and they don't want all of the top Big Ten players to hit the transfer portal.

If that's the case, they handled it about as poorly as possible. Put out a schedule, then a few days later "postpone" the season indefinitely. With no path or communicated plan or timeline going forward.

Question:. If you're a 4 or 5 star player in this conference today, what's your motivation for staying?

The idea that maybe the BIG will play football again one day once a vaccine is developed (5 years from now, if ever?)

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Depends on the lawyers. Schedule is basically done if we are going hat in hand to the B12. It's a matter of settling the whole postponement vice cancellation issue and what we risk by backing out of our obligation.

Yeah. If the Huskers can get a temporary agreement with the Big 12 they would fit perfectly into a round robin schedule or a North Division if the conference wants to play fewer games (would really expect a round robin though).

I could see discussion with Iowa as well.

There may be a chance that a Big 12 school doesn't want to play and Iowa or Nebraska could sub in also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT