ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten / SEC break from NCAA

1Ramsker3

Walk On
Sep 24, 2017
I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam but it's the offseason.

@TheBigTenHuddle

Conference realignment rumors that are quickly turning from speculation to nearly confirmed:• Florida State has an invitation waiting for them to join the Big Ten. They just need to get the legal stuff with leaving the ACC figured out.• North Carolina is in a situation with their state government that makes it difficult for them to leave the ACC without a partner like NC State. UNC wants to be in the Big Ten but the North Carolina government is causing issues.• The SEC (ESPN) and the Big Ten (Fox) are approaching realignment differently. While the SEC is attempting to acquire as many states as possible, the Big Ten is attempting to acquire as many big markets as they can. An example of this is why you hear rumblings about FSU and Miami to the Big Ten but not the SEC.• AAU status is still a preference of the Big Ten but the process of getting the status is so political and done poorly that the Big Ten can no longer rely on that.• It is very likely that the SEC and Big Ten will eventually break away from the NCAA. The goal is to begin this process in Spring of 2025. Much of this centers around paying players with restrictions they control and not the corrupt NCAA.
https://twitter.com/RossDellenger
@RossDellenger

NEWS: Big Ten & SEC are creating a joint advisory group of presidents & ADs in an urgent mission to find solutions & steer college sports into the future.“Pressures are mounting,” SEC’s Greg Sankey tells
@YahooSports
. “We are not going to be status quo.”

Its gonna happen eventually.

And then we have divisions which are regional.

Full circle.
Eventually, all the conferences that aren't part of the P2 will also split apart and become regional conferences just like they were in the past.

College football is headed toward a super conference at the top that looks a lot like the NFL and the gap between teams that have money in the super conference and those that don't have so much money in other conferences will get even bigger.

Reactions: Bold Words
seems NU is in a good spot as long as we start putting our head down and play actual football.
Huge and correct move by Nebraska joining the Big ten a few years back. CF is headed to 2 super conferences - sort of like the NFL. It's all about $$$ and, obviously, the Big Ten stands at the very top. Even the SEC is starting to panic

Last edited:
Huge and correct move by Nebraska joining the Big ten a few years back. CF is headed to 2 super conferences - sort of like the NFL. It's all about $$$ and, obviously, the Big Ten stands at the very top. Even the SEC is starting to panic
You‘re correct about one thing the SEC and B1G are forming two super conferences..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Funny how quickly things change. Just a few years ago SEC was king and the b1g was irrelevant...now the b1g looks like a monster

Reactions: BleedRed78
Funny how quickly things change. Just a few years ago SEC was king and the b1g was irrelevant...now the b1g looks like a monster
SEC is more of a strong regional now - the Big is a national conference coast to coast

Let's just remember one thing in this new age - just because you're "in" now doesn't mean you get to stay in for sure. Nebraska better get this football program figured out. I'm not saying anything that Trev and others haven't already said. I think the interim president also just said it.

I don’t see any original team in the B1G being kicked out... I don’t see us being kicked out either, but that’s just me thinking..
Let's just remember one thing in this new age - just because you're "in" now doesn't mean you get to stay in for sure. Nebraska better get this football program figured out. I'm not saying anything that Trev and others haven't already said. I think the interim president also just said it.

I don’t see any original team in the B1G being kicked out... I don’t see us being kicked out either, but that’s just me thinking..
Definitely not likely at all, but I would predict there are teams currently in the B1G and SEC that the rest would like to jettison. Our national pull is big enough to protect us, but still need to win and remove any doubt at this very weird point in time.

Definitely not likely at all, but I would predict there are teams currently in the B1G and SEC that the rest would like to jettison. Our national pull is big enough to protect us, but still need to win and remove any doubt at this very weird point in time.
Like others have mentioned, it a new age now and it all comes down to $$$$ - and a lot of that has to do with how many TV eyeballs a program is bringing in

Not sure that will matter going forward - just a guess though, Wasn't NU an AAU member when they were admitted though ?
Yes. But Nebraska was kicked out through a vote of AAU members. So, now it is the only B1G school that is not a member of the AAU and it has had a crappy football team for the past 8 years. That combination would make me a little nervous if I was the president, chancellor or AD of Nebraska. Hopefully the football team will improve dramatically.

Last edited:
Yes. But Nebraska was kicked out through a vote of AAU members. So, now it is the only B1G school that is not a member of the AAU and it has had a crappy football team for the past 8 years. That combination would make me a little nervous if I was the president, chancellor or AD of Nebraska. Hopefully the football team will improve dramatically.
NU could always join the SEC :). Yeah I know you're not a southeastern school but regional conferences are a thing of the past. Would also allow NU to rejoin long standing rivalries in OU and Missouri.
Yeah I know never happen...but it would be an interesting change.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that a dividing line could be minimum required AD annual expense spending. Those that are willing/able to meet that threshold are in. That could create room for some that are currently out of the P2 (Miami, FSU, UNC) and perhaps nudge some schools out that are currently in but aren’t willing to invest sufficiently (NW, Vandy). It makes the division process more objective.

NU could always join the SEC :). Yeah I know you're not a southeastern school but regional conferences are a thing of the past. Would also allow NU to rejoin long standing rivalries in OU and Missouri.
Yeah I know never happen...but it would be an interesting change.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind it.

• Haha
Do you actually want to know why they lost AAU membership?

It was because Nebraska’s medical center was located in Omaha so I believe it was Michigan that voted against us when voting Nebraska AAU member..
FWIW…

the worst part is missou wrote the best artical on it...nebraska writers haven't even named the mich guy who kicked us out..hell they never gave the name of the coke bottle eyed big 12 ref who always thru flags on us..

indeed...no time to be a dancing, sola football.

Last edited:
Every Conference needs a bottom feeder. If things stay as is a bottom feeding Nebraska is worth far more than a Purdue or Northwestern

I don't think this is going to happen BUT a relegation style system similar to that sport where they run and kick a ball over in Europe has been discussed. That might be a way to tier schools into NIL caps.

When the "super" conferences are all finally settled, I could see something where their are tiers and "bowl" games between tiers. I don't know but I do know that in 10 years this thing could look or is likely to look completely different.

Reactions: zrob and mgbreis
Huh? The Big 10 wants eyeballs and advertising money. We punch way above our weight when it comes to ratings. And I'm guessing our ratings aren't going down this year if DR is the starter.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Huh? The Big 10 wants eyeballs and advertising money. We punch way above our weight when it comes to ratings. And I'm guessing our ratings aren't going down this year if DR is the starter.
We're fortunate things held together so well. We can't continue this if we continue to not make bowl games or don't win 8+ games at a minimum

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but don't give me "huh?" when Trev Alberts and Chris Kabourek have already said the same thing - Nebraska needs to win if they don't want to get left out. Nebraska can't rely on a loyal fan base forever if we don't start winning. Dan Patrick was just talking this morning about how college football needs a relegation style league. If a "super league" were started next year with 50 teams we'd be in but a lot closer to the bottom than the top.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but don't give me "huh?" when Trev Alberts and Chris Kabourek have already said the same thing - Nebraska needs to win if they don't want to get left out. Nebraska can't rely on a loyal fan base forever if we don't start winning. Dan Patrick was just talking this morning about how college football needs a relegation style league. If a "super league" were started next year with 50 teams we'd be in but a lot closer to the bottom than the top.
On that note College football news 2024 preseason ratings ranks Nebraska 35th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT