Maryland (7-6)
Nebraska (7-6)
Rutgers (6-6)
Penn State (4-7)
Michigan (4-8)
Northwestern (3-7)
Michigan State (3-10)

Games for Saturday, March 10
Ohio State vs. High Point (at Conway, SC)
Ohio State at #24 Coastal Carolina
Cal Poly at Nebraska (12:00 p.m. & 4:00 p.m. - BTN Plus)
Illinois vs. Furman (at Greenville, SC)
Illinois vs. Michigan State (at Greenville, SC)
Pacific at #14 Indiana
Bryant at Maryland
Rutgers vs. Army (at Fort Myers, FL)
MacMurray at Northwestern
Creighton at Minnesota
Purdue at Tulane
Michigan at Lipscomb
Penn State at Grand Canyon
Iowa at UNLV

Reactions: saluno22
Big Ten went 4-7 yesterday outside of the Illinois/MSU game.
Indiana lost 1-2 in the series opener with Pacific (7-8). A couple hot pitchers I guess.

The Big Ten has dropped to 7th in RPI rankings because of the last week or so.

Really like to know how they start this RPI stuff from the very beginning of the season. Who do they detertain the the best and so forth and so forth after 5 or 6 games?

Really like to know how they start this RPI stuff from the very beginning of the season. Who do they detertain the the best and so forth and so forth after 5 or 6 games?
RPI of any significance can't really be compiled until about 6-8 weeks into the season. You can still do the calculation, but knowing the size of the data set, it's relatively meaningless this early.

RPI of any significance can't really be compiled until about 6-8 weeks into the season. You can still do the calculation, but knowing the size of the data set, it's relatively meaningless this early.
I will say on an individual team level it doesn’t have much relevance but conferences are nearing the end of the OOC season. Once conference season starts rarely will you see a conference RPI jump up too much the rest of the year. 7th isn’t very good. Hopefully over the next couple weeks we can get back in the top 5.

I will say on an individual team level it doesn’t have much relevance but conferences are nearing the end of the OOC season. Once conference season starts rarely will you see a conference RPI jump up too much the rest of the year. 7th isn’t very good. Hopefully over the next couple weeks we can get back in the top 5.
Correct. I was thinking team RPI, but the original message was regarding conference RPI. Yeah, that won't change as the much inter-conference games wind down.

Correct. I was thinking team RPI, but the original message was regarding conference RPI. Yeah, that won't change as the much inter-conference games wind down.
What stinks is we were sitting pretty at 4 and the last week and a half some big loses have hurt us. Luckily we don’t play PSU or Northwestern this year who seem to be the leagues lowest in RPI right now.

There's no magic to RPI, it's simple math. It's nothing but win/loss records and the formula they use to add it all together.

You can calculate RPI after just one game but that would be completely meaningless. Still the bots do it. Think nothing of it.

There's no magic to RPI, it's simple math. It's nothing but win/loss records and the formula they use to add it all together.

You can calculate RPI after just one game but that would be completely meaningless. Still the bots do it. Think nothing of it.
Plus multipliers for where the games are played.

Plus multipliers for where the games are played.
Right, the numbers get tweaked but it's all part of the formula.

I used to think RPI was mysterious, had values only the committee had access to. So I looked into it and found it's just W/L records washed through a set formula. No magic at all.

Right, the numbers get tweaked but it's all part of the formula.

I used to think RPI was mysterious, had values only the committee had access to. So I looked into it and found it's just W/L records washed through a set formula. No magic at all.
I thought the same about "PairWise" in college hockey. It's really just an extension of RPI.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT