ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Baseball Scores and Standings (4/29)

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
#20 Maryland 9, Delaware 4
Northwestern 5, Chicago State 4 (10 inn)
Michigan State 13, Eastern Michigan 4
Indiana State 6, Indiana 5 (10 inn)
Kansas State 9, Minnesota 0
Penn State 8, Pittsburgh 7
Villanova 7, Rutgers 2

Standings
1. Illinois (37-6-1, 13-1)
2. Iowa (31-11, 13-2)
3. Ohio State (31-10, 12-3)
4. Maryland (32-13, 11-4)
5. Michigan (27-17, 11-7)
6. Michigan State (27-17, 9-6)
7. Nebraska (31-16, 6-9)
8. Minnesota (19-22, 7-11)
9. Indiana (23-19, 6-10)
10. Rutgers (15-28-1, 5-10)
11. Northwestern (14-29, 4-11)
12. Penn State (14-26, 2-12)
13. Purdue (14-31, 1-14)

Games for Friday, May 1
#8 Illinois at #25 Ohio State
#18 Iowa at Michigan
Indiana at #20 Maryland
Nebraska at Northwestern (3:00)
Purdue at Michigan State
Rutgers at Penn State
UC-Irvine at Minnesota

I know Indiana had significant roster turnover and obviously a new coach but I hope this season is just the blip many thought it could be. They need to stay relevant and now have facilites to help support that effort. To do so they need to lock down the state and thats gonna be hard losing to Indiana State and Evansville like they have this year.

I think they will be fine over time. Limonis comes pretty highly regarded and there isnt a better location to be in as far as recruiting goes, in the Midwest. They are close to every where, so to speak.

Michigan and Wisconsin kids want to go further south. Bingo.

Chicago and st Louis and cinci are a stones throw. Easy peasy

Plus, illinois and Ohio are fertile and nearby. Indiana alone can feed a ton of prospects.

I think they will be fine. MVC used to be more highly regarded than the B1G. not any longer. B1G has the $, the facilities and the glitz.

Yes, Indiana State and E'vville have nice set ups, particularly ISU, but they will still be a mid major in comparison.

All my opinion but i am very familiar with all 3 programs personally

I think they will be fine over time. Limonis comes pretty highly regarded and there isnt a better location to be in as far as recruiting goes, in the Midwest. They are close to every where, so to speak.

Michigan and Wisconsin kids want to go further south. Bingo.

Chicago and st Louis and cinci are a stones throw. Easy peasy

Plus, illinois and Ohio are fertile and nearby. Indiana alone can feed a ton of prospects.

I think they will be fine. MVC used to be more highly regarded than the B1G. not any longer. B1G has the $, the facilities and the glitz.

Yes, Indiana State and E'vville have nice set ups, particularly ISU, but they will still be a mid major in comparison.

All my opinion but i am very familiar with all 3 programs personally
I think your probably right and am familiar with all 3 programs as well. Lived in Newburgh (just outside of Evansville) for 7 years. My son was recruited by Josh Reynolds at UE before he left for KState and he has former HS, Summer, and JC team members playing at both ISU and Indiana.

ISU has pretty decent faciliteis but the town is a crap hole and the school itself is very old. Just not much of a campus IMO. UE is small and expensive and wont be everyone's cup of tea, but I was quite impressed once I got on campus and actually saw what they had to offer. Prretty decent facilites but the playing surface itself there is not good. Poor drainage and really needs an overhaul. Wes has been trying to get Fieldturf since his second year as HC but cant raise the money. Tried to get Andy Benes to be the seed money to get it all started but was a tough sell since they didnt recruit his kid and he ended up at Arkansas State.

B1G needs IU to stay relevant. I think and hope they will as there are numerous inherent advantages vs. both ISU and UE. How Purdue has dropped off so quickly is a mystery to me. Dont know much about their program/staff other than the fact they appear to have taken zero advantage of the run a few years ago and new facilities.

I think your probably right and am familiar with all 3 programs as well. Lived in Newburgh (just outside of Evansville) for 7 years. My son was recruited by Josh Reynolds at UE before he left for KState and he has former HS, Summer, and JC team members playing at both ISU and Indiana.

ISU has pretty decent faciliteis but the town is a crap hole and the school itself is very old. Just not much of a campus IMO. UE is small and expensive and wont be everyone's cup of tea, but I was quite impressed once I got on campus and actually saw what they had to offer. Prretty decent facilites but the playing surface itself there is not good. Poor drainage and really needs an overhaul. Wes has been trying to get Fieldturf since his second year as HC but cant raise the money. Tried to get Andy Benes to be the seed money to get it all started but was a tough sell since they didnt recruit his kid and he ended up at Arkansas State.

B1G needs IU to stay relevant. I think and hope they will as there are numerous inherent advantages vs. both ISU and UE. How Purdue has dropped off so quickly is a mystery to me. Dont know much about their program/staff other than the fact they appear to have taken zero advantage of the run a few years ago and new facilities.

Purdue has zero history as a B1G contender. Total flash in the pan that year. And then they didn't even get out of their own regional. They won't be back in my lifetime. But, hey, I'm really old. Cool

I forgot about Purdue. I don't know what happened there either. I really thought they were going to be the class of the state of indiana and the Schreiber name carried a lot of weight in the area.

Haven't been in the area for quite a while now so I don't know what is happening with them.

Yeah, E'ville's facility is really old. Classic old time ball park (See the movie "A league of their Own" for lot's of great shots filmed in the ball park. It's a shame they can't get more support for an upgrade. Private school so it can be tough without the gubment check book behind you.

I'm curious what you know about ISU as far as their staff goes. I knew several of them pretty well at one time. Wonder how the kids your son knows likes playing for them? Good people.

It will be interesting to see if IU ends up like Purdue or will they endure.....With such a small scholarship pool, it's tough for baseball programs to sustain a high level, particularly in the non-blue blood programs. All it takes is a couple recruiting mistakes or a bit of bad luck and you can be average or worse very quickly. Not much margin for error.

Purdue has zero history as a B1G contender. Total flash in the pan that year. And then they didn't even get out of their own regional. They won't be back in my lifetime. But, hey, I'm really old. Cool
I think you are right. They just don't have the "whole package" in that town/college.

Lincoln/Omaha? Yep
Iowa City? Yep
Minneapolis? Yep
Bloomington? Yep
Ann Arbor? Yep

W Lafayette? NO
Champaign? Don't really know much about the town but they have had some success. Kinda surprising to me.
NU? Sure it's in Chicago but they have their own struggles due to their academics. I do think they are going to be pretty good if they hire the right guy. The current guy is retiring and hasn't even been trying for quite some time.

Starting to look that way but it has to start somewhere (we didn't have much history pre DVH either) . Just a shame they weren't ablel to take advantage of the momentum they created. Only conclusion I can draw from it is their staff must not be as good as many made them out to be. Location isnt terrible, its a nice campus, good college town, and they have a new facility. Maybe he should worry < about a fall schedule and start focusing on recruiting!

I think you are right. They just don't have the "whole package" in that town/college.

Lincoln/Omaha? Yep
Iowa City? Yep
Minneapolis? Yep
Bloomington? Yep
Ann Arbor? Yep

W Lafayette? NO
Champaign? Don't really know much about the town but they have had some success. Kinda surprising to me.
NU? Sure it's in Chicago but they have their own struggles due to their academics. I do think they are going to be pretty good if they hire the right guy. The current guy is retiring and hasn't even been trying for quite some time.
I dont think I would agree with you about W Lafayette. I spent a couple of different weekends there in 2010/2011 and thought it was a pretty nice campus with a small town geared around the college. Not that dissimiliar from Iowa City or Bloomington (although I did like Bloomington better).

I forgot about Purdue. I don't know what happened there either. I really thought they were going to be the class of the state of indiana and the Schreiber name carried a lot of weight in the area.

Haven't been in the area for quite a while now so I don't know what is happening with them.

Yeah, E'ville's facility is really old. Classic old time ball park (See the movie "A league of their Own" for lot's of great shots filmed in the ball park. It's a shame they can't get more support for an upgrade. Private school so it can be tough without the gubment check book behind you.

I'm curious what you know about ISU as far as their staff goes. I knew several of them pretty well at one time. Wonder how the kids your son knows likes playing for them? Good people.

It will be interesting to see if IU ends up like Purdue or will they endure.....With such a small scholarship pool, it's tough for baseball programs to sustain a high level, particularly in the non-blue blood programs. All it takes is a couple recruiting mistakes or a bit of bad luck and you can be average or worse very quickly. Not much margin for error.
Dont know much about ISU HC other than wasn't impressed that much with his JC teams at Lincoln Trail. My son's summer coach had pretty good relationship with Smiley and he seemed ok.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT