ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 appears to be the worst Power 5 conference

Can't help but lol inside when I read a "take out (insert player, team, or coach here) they are average" take. It's just a way for a jealous non fan of said entity to rationalize why their team or player doesn't stack up.

Can't help but lol inside when I read a "take out (insert player, team, or coach here) they are average" take. It's just a way for a jealous non fan of said entity to rationalize why their team or player doesn't stack up.
Pretty much sums up the rationale for all the vitriol directed at Deion and Colorado on this site

No doubt 100% spot on. It's the quintessential "if my aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle" argument.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Pretty much sums up the rationale for all the vitriol directed at Deion and Colorado on this site

Nah, the vitriol for Colorado is warranted based on our history with them. The vitriol for Deion, however, is often exactly what you're talking about.

Last edited:
It’s ridiculous that Michigan isn’t in this conversation with yet another awful OOC schedule.

I will rebuttal your question with asking what’s the Big 10’s worst loss? Probably Purdue losing to Fresno State? Fresno State just blanked ASU 29-0.

It’s hard to tell how bad the Big 10 is based on that. OSU beating ND could set the tone for the rest of the season.
Ohio state winning as a favorite could “set the tone”?

Such a B1G comment it hurts

Which makes it all the more sad that Nebraska can never seem to win it, despite the fact that it's universally regarded as the worst division in the P5.

And then NU immediately started the 2023 campaign with a loss to a B1G West team.

Unless Rhule turns things around here, I honestly do think that from strictly a football standpoint, NU would be better off back in the Big 12. They might actually compete there and win more games.

I know I've been one of the ones talking about the benefits of B1G cash and how it can be used for NIL, exposure to big media markets to attract better recruits and coaches (Rhule has said he picked Nebraska because he wanted to be in the Big Ten), in addition to NU's brand and legacy, but the truth is, the Big Ten has been absolutely brutal to Nebraska on the field since 2011. NU was and still is in many ways, a Big 12 team. And it shows.

So again, unless Rhule gets things back on track, I think this conference only gets worse for NU.
Loser mentality really. Adjust and get better. We would be losing games in the BIG 12 too laying like Nebraska has. We beat ourselves. That gets you beat in any conference.

I don't get that comparison personally...i've never seen a poster say "Take out (sometbing about Colorado here) and they're an average football team"

This is sarcasm, right? The amount of goal post moving and mental gymnastics by the anti-Deion crowd is about as egregious as it gets when it comes to this.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Awesome Big wins bowls that don't matter. Sec wins championships. Got it
With officiating. 2 proper calls I can think of, either of which wins the game for Ohio State.

Hey...I'm simply saying it's competitive...while many of you falsely say its lopsided.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
That's a big if and whoever beats Bama it's a big win
I guess you've not watched much Bama football this year? This is not your typical Saban squad. They will struggle this year. My guess is they'll end up with 4 or so losses by the end of the regular season.

Texas isn't that good either, and I have no doubt their record will reflect that by the end of the season. In the Big XII, only OU looks legit to me.

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
You said that last year too, and the year before....but the B1G West is 6-3 in Bowl games.

Yeah, fewer and fewer teams care about bowls outside of the top few. Players sit, teams don't want to be there, matchups aren't based on skill. They've become almost an exhibition. They're the college football post-season equivalent to pro football pre-season.

I guess you've not watched much Bama football this year? This is not your typical Saban squad. They will struggle this year. My guess is they'll end up with 4 or so losses by the end of the regular season.

Texas isn't that good either, and I have no doubt their record will reflect that by the end of the season. In the Big XII, only OU looks legit to me.
Geezus. Bama could end up with one loss or 4. Still a big win in Tuscaloosa. Especially for an OOC team. And you lose any credibility with this post. When saying OU is the only looking legit team. They have played a pillow soft schedule. And you say Texas win at Bama you come away with they aren't that good. But OU is legit haha.

OU beat Arkansas State 73-0 but they haven't played anyone that good.

Geezus. Bama could end up with one loss or 4. Still a big win in Tuscaloosa. Especially for an OOC team. And you lose any credibility with this post. When saying OU is the only looking legit team. They have played a pillow soft schedule. And you say Texas win at Bama you come away with they aren't that good. But OU is legit haha.
Feel free to save this post so that we can revisit it at the end of the season and see who was more correct.

Whorns Beat Bama
KU is unbeaten
OU looks good
K-St lost on 61 FG.. ( want me to repeat that?)
BYU unbeaten beat the Hogs
The Big 12 sucked last year too but they somehow all got ranked at some point and were considered good when they beat others ranked teams from the weak conference
K state lost=quit making excuses as they have got lucky way too many times against junk teams last yr to carry the scales yet everyone applauded those victories.
KU sucks but will win over .500
Horns and OU are no longer Big 12 other than by forced to be there. Only two decent teams
Overall the conference looks just like what it is-2 good teams leaving for the SEC- and the rest junkers that no one wanted-The sec and the Big 12 passed all of them up so they added the minor leaguers that look like minor leaguers when they are playing power . They are a group 5 conference now!

Last edited:
Reactions: moralvictories
Okie State seem to be stuck. They sort of hate Gundy but they also don't seem to think they can do better without him.
they won't.. they would be stupid to get rid of him

with UT and OU leaving, the conference gets CU.. I dunno.. I'd still go back to the Big 12 most likely, but who knows how their money distribution works.. we used to get a higher percentage, but we no longer have any of that leverage.. I'd still get out of the BigTen.. they are starting to become like the BlackRock of CFB. They are buying up all the assets, and then you are subjugated to their rules.

Last edited:
IMHO the Big12 is better than the record indicates...

That said, if Okie State implodes and Gundy is gone (rumors are flying as you can imagine) does Zane Flores come home?

How wild would it be to have 2 Nebraska Born/Raised QB's that are Elite 11 finalists and oh yeah... what if Rezac would join them... crazy to think
I think Gundy has been unhappy and not the same since the OAN shirt BS. He has a right to watch conservative political news just as much as all the rest of America and the world. He should have resigned then and there and would have found a new and better home.

Feel free to save this post so that we can revisit it at the end of the season and see who was more correct.
Things look a lot different with Bama this year. There have been a lot of rumors that this could be Saban's last year and I think that could be true. I think he's legitimately starting to tire as a human being. His intensity just isn't what it was 5 - 10 years ago. His coaching staff is constantly in flux and he's built a coaching tree that is probably unrivaled in history. Now that tree is all over the SEC and starting to beat Alabama. The staff he has now isn't as good as the staffs he had over the prior decade.
Alabama also thrived on getting the very best recruits nationally and destroying teams off of sheer talent. That is getting much harder. Georgia, Texas, FSU, Miami etc are now in good hands and are taking many of the 5 star players that Alabama could count on getting. NIL has changed the game too. The guy at CU will now start getting 5 stars as well.
So I think we have already seen the high water mark at Alabama (probably 2020) and the decline is becoming more noticeable. If Saban does retire this season or in the next few that job will have a ton of suitors but nobody is going to come close to his success.

Reactions: FissionReaction
I think Gundy has been unhappy and not the same since the OAN shirt BS. He has a right to watch conservative political news just as much as all the rest of America and the world. He should have resigned then and there and would have found a new and better home.
I also wonder if he knows he has gone as far as he can with OSU.

It would get more than annoying to pretty much know that you are never going to be able to "win it all" after being at the same place for what, 20 years?

Cashing checks is great but he is more than set for life I would imagine. It might get to the point where each new season no longer has that "new car smell" and you look at your schedule (like all coaches and players do) and you go, "okay IF we catch a break or two we can get to 9 wins" and you know all that means is a lame season and a lame bowl game.

I mean, at that point you basically become that dude who is on year 28 at their job...they look around and everyone on their "team" is younger than they are...all the people above them are younger...and you realize you are just sort of stuck.

I have coached teams before where we knew, before the first game, what the best record we could get was going to be...and if you know it will be a shitty record, it makes for a really long ass boring season.

Reactions: FissionReaction
So what? Bowl games that aren’t playoff are trash. As in, nobody cares and all the good players aren’t even playing
Saban hasn't scheduled a P5 road game in 17 years. Except once...unranked Texas...which they won by 1 point on a controversial call.

Yeah 1 or 2 or 3 Bowl games doesn't determine power rankings. But my Gophers have won 6 straight...still absolutely zero credit from you guys...?

Saban hasn't scheduled a P5 road game in 17 years. Except once...unranked Texas...which they won by 1 point on a controversial call.

Yeah 1 or 2 or 3 Bowl games doesn't determine power rankings. But my Gophers have won 6 straight...still absolutely zero credit from you guys...?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

You should post the same whiny, sniveling diatribe a couple hundred more times, and perhaps people will suddenly give a crap.

Do you realize that Nebraska has the NCAA record for number of bowl game appearances in a row? Nebraska went to bowls from 1969 to 2003.

When Nebraska lost, it was mostly to top ten opponents. Inface it was mostly to top 5 ranked opponents.

Color us unimpressed with 6 "toilet bowl" wins. Which is still better than our post season the last 6 years, but dude, no, we've seen, and look forward to better fireworks.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT