ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC will reportedly officially announce an alliance between the three conferences as early as next week, according to Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic on Friday.

The move comes in response to the SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas to become a 16-team conference.
Adam Rittenberg of ESPN first reported news of the alignment between the conferences, which is to "create stability without schools moving conferences."

The Big 12 has not been part of these discussions.

Last edited:

The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC will reportedly officially announce an alliance between the three conferences as early as next week, according to Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic on Friday.

The move comes in response to the SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas to become a 16-team conference.
Adam Rittenberg of ESPN first reported news of the alignment between the conferences, which is to "create stability without schools moving conferences."

Well it remains to be seen just what the specifics are for such an alliance. Will it actually be anything more than a publicity move?

Reactions: HBK4life
True. I just found it amusing that the Big 12 without their UT overlords are the red headed step child left out in the rain looking in. 😆
Well whether the remaining midgets like it or not, the Big 12 is not P5 material without Texas and Oklahoma.

Reactions: HBK4life
I would guess that everyone knows the Big12 is dead and that most of those teams will be absorbed elsewhere either in a P5 or G5 so why bother even adding them to the alliance?

Reactions: blackshirts25
While it may will look as being a dog on the remaining Big 12 teams, it is nothing more than bowing to the mighty SEC.

Did they join together? No. They are simply recognizing the SEC as the almighty power and will schedule games in and amongst themselves whenever possible.

B10 needs to loot the ACC and Pac 12 for viable members. Make it the NFL of AFC vs NFC type scenario and all the world will be right.

Well it remains to be seen just what the specifics are for such an alliance. Will it actually be anything more than a publicity move?
The only way this works is if the 3 conferences have an SEC exclusion. Meaning member schools must schedule non-conference games with allied members. Maybe make an exclusion for UF/FSU and UGA/GT, but other than that, I would think you would have to structure it to play 9 conference games, two non-conference games each one against the other member conferences and then one other non conference game against another opponent not in the SEC.

Part of me also wonders if this isn’t a play to force ND’s hand. Join the ACC and BIG and force ND to the table as part of a joint venture to add to the conference alliance. If they do that, then that essentially trumps what the SEC did with Ut and OU from a revenue standpoint.

The Big 12 is dead. The remaining teams combined don’t move the needle as much as a joint conference venture or the addition of ND.

Reactions: saluno22
z28, I agree that looks like what they are doing. Which is absurd. So USC plays Ohio State. Clemson plays Oregon. Notre Dame plays Penn State. SEC locked out so the OOC games are Houston, UCF, Rice, etc. So 6-7 SEC teams go 10-2 or better. The "new 3" all have 9-3 or 8-4 records with 8-12 teams going the CFP. Can't wait.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I don’t think scheduling is the big reason for this. It’s more about making sure any expansion of playoffs doesn’t end up brought to you solely by ESPN. Fox, or anybody else, won’t bid as much if they are locked out of every playoff game. SEC doesn’t care because they have sold their soul

News flash - College football is now a regional game, the South. They put a puppet northern team (ND or Ohio State) in the CFP only to have them get bitch slapped in the first game. College football is, and has been, in decline in the western one third of the nation for over ten years. Those schools, and most in the Midwest, do not have the stomach to bring on to their campuses what it takes to compete for a national title. It is still fun to go to the stadium, although fewer actually go each year, and get drunk and have a good time.
Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee....and their recruiting grounds, are all you need to know. That is why ESPN is pushing all their chips to the center of the table, the sec. They have the numbers. Damn near all, and I mean all, of the 4 million club (viewership numbers) games are in the South. That is about to increase with their new additions. Makes me sick, but its the truth. Everything has changed.

I don’t think scheduling is the big reason for this. It’s more about making sure any expansion of playoffs doesn’t end up brought to you solely by ESPN. Fox, or anybody else, won’t bid as much if they are locked out of every playoff game. SEC doesn’t care because they have sold their soul

The SEC has 5 of the 9 power programs in college football in their conference.

Only Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, and USC are missing.

You may laugh about USC, but they control the entire left coast and about 100M potential viewers. Take away USC, and the PAC12 is done.

I'd be dead sure the SEC is looking at USC and Clemson. I'm sure Texas is advising on USC, and have little doubt they are dragging more than Oklahoma along with them.

Clemson, Florida State, USC, are likely next. Maybe UCLA along with USC.

Big 10 has to get rid of Warren, and then get after Virginia, North Carolina, and Clemson. Maybe even pull South Carolina from the SEC. Tennessee and Kentucky are options as well.

The only way this works is if the 3 conferences have an SEC exclusion. Meaning member schools must schedule non-conference games with allied members. Maybe make an exclusion for UF/FSU and UGA/GT, but other than that, I would think you would have to structure it to play 9 conference games, two non-conference games each one against the other member conferences and then one other non conference game against another opponent not in the SEC.
Obviously Nebraska isn't a power player in all of this, but their financial structure is similar to the power players I'm sure in that Nebraska NEEDS 7 home games. With 9 conference games (alternating 4v5 home), presumably the non-conference ACC/Pac-12 games will be one home and one away, then a home non-conference against a mid-major, that leaves 6 home games every other season.

Yes I think it's basically an $ec vs everyone else ploy here just to put the brakes on to slow things down and try to wisely make the next move because clearly everyone else not $ec has been asleep at the wheel. They need to try to figure out how to be in a position of leadership rather than reacting out of fear.

Knee jerk reactions seldom are wise ones. Having a plan a,b,c,d if XYZ happens isn't a knee jerk reaction.

Reactions: Seascout3
The SEC has 5 of the 9 power programs in college football in their conference.

Only Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, and USC are missing.

You may laugh about USC, but they control the entire left coast and about 100M potential viewers. Take away USC, and the PAC12 is done.

I'd be dead sure the SEC is looking at USC and Clemson. I'm sure Texas is advising on USC, and have little doubt they are dragging more than Oklahoma along with them.

Clemson, Florida State, USC, are likely next. Maybe UCLA along with USC.

Big 10 has to get rid of Warren, and then get after Virginia, North Carolina, and Clemson. Maybe even pull South Carolina from the SEC. Tennessee and Kentucky are options as well.

LOL, did you write this post on speed?

USC will not be in the SEC. No ACC team is going anywhere for at least a decade. No SEC team will leave for the Big Ten.

Get a grip.

Reactions: 250vertical
the sec is leaving the ncaa and starting their own disney league. the ncaa will have 4 conferences, the big, pac, acc and big 12 and have a 4 team playoff for the national championship

Would like to see Four major conferences and a 4 team playoff with the winner of each conference. That insures the $EC can only get 1 team in the playoffs.

It's fairly simple

The 3 leagues will form a partnership that sees them begin to exclude SEC teams and to vote against any expansion of the playoffs as well as likely voting in ways that prevent multiple playoff spots to the SEC (likely by making a Conference Title a requirement to be selected)

A few years from now the P10 will add 2 new teams. Going to 14 teams matching the B10 and ACC.

This will take place around the time the ACC contracts with the ESPN expire.

ACC will sign a new television contract with Fox.

The three leagues create a new schedule:
6 games in your division
2 games in your Conference's other division
1 game from each other division (4 games)

For a 12 game regular season.

Then finally they announce the new college football playoff tournament.

The winner of the Big Ten and winner of the Pac 12 play in the Rose Bowl.

The winner of the ACC plays the top ranked non P4 team in the Orange Bowl.

The winners play in the national championship game.

All games on Fox and FOX affiliates/partner networks.

Playoff revenue gets split 5 ways. Fox gets a cut, The ACC, P14 and B10 get a cut. And the fifth share gets shared equally with every non power conference that excludes ESPN and the SEC from its schedule and aligns themselves with Fox and friends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT