ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 expansion?

I'd take Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Kansas and North Carolina. A football school rich in tradition like ND and OU, also two history rich basketball schools. Be cool to destroy the Big 12 in the process and drive down to Lawrence for some football games again. Also would be fun to take over touchdown Jesus stadium again and paint it red!! Get the OU-NU rivalry going again and leave Texass and their crumbling Big 12 in the dust!!

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerq
1. KU
2. Notre Dame
----------------------------------------------------------------
3. Iowa St (yes, like KU they'd be a nice addition for BBall)

positives: Expand TV market to KC. All 3 schools are good Basketball schools (which may not be the driving force behind inclusion but should not be completely factored out).

I just don't see the recently rebuilt ACC having teams that move around again so soon. Would love Vandy but don't see the SEC letting them move (they are a great academic school). Really don't see them expanding to an odd number of teams in general too...

GBR

Virginia (DC), G Tech (Atlanta), KU (KC, BB, proximity, hurts Big XII badly). Assuming ND not an option.

I don't see 18 teams, but who knows? I feel that at some point we should add Notre Dame, that is a lock. We fit culturally, academically and is loaded with tradition. ND-Michigan should be a yearly affair. Add the Irish to the B1G East and give the West OU. Forget Kansas and it's weak basketball market. OU would restore our signature rivalry and it would drive our football $$ through the roof. OU and ND are a national brand. BONANZA! If 18 then KU and Virginia. That does for B1G basketball what ND/OU would do for B1G football. One for each side of the conference. I still see that football is more important than basketball when it comes to making those decisions.

Reactions: WestCoastCornhusker
Delany has been after ND for years and they continually say " No Thanks". If the B1G wants to get ND, we will have to add another heavy weight that will bring more prestige and TVs to the B1G. I can think of 1 team for that and people will definitely say " Hell NO ". We should add Texas to lure ND. I know it doesn't fit the connecting states thing that Delany has stated is a must but I am sure he would disregard that if he could get ND because of Texas.

If those are a dream and we only add 2, I would go with Kansas and Louisville. If we add 4, I would again go with KU, Louisville, OU and Virginia or NC.

KU and OU. Besides their respective markets, they are both big time national brands. Texas is going nowhere. They have their little conference that they run for themselves.

There was a time when the ACC was vulnerable, but they are not anymore. So count out Virginia, N Carolina, etc. It ain't happening.

Notre Dame likes where they are at and won't join any conference unless the landscape drastically changes.

Both OU and KU cannot go anywhere without taking little brother. So they are both out.

B1G bylaws, I believe, state that to bring in a new school it must boarder a state that has an existing B1G school.

So, if the B1G goes to 16, which I think would be the max, I'd say UVA and UNC (Which won't happen cause UNC and Duke will never leave each other). If they go to 18, I'd add in Duke and GaTech.

Iowa isn't letting ISU into the B1G and they bring nothing to the table with added revenue

I believe the BTN is already in the KC market with higher level rights so KU doesn't bring that

BTN already has DC/Baltimore market with MD but I do think the CIC would like to have UVA.

I don't know if GT brings the Atlanta market, if the studies show they can then that could be an option.

Still think Delaney wants Texas but you know, they're Texas.

Aside from Texas and ND---both of which are very long shots for B1G expansion, there aren't many schools left that could give a revenue bump worthy of their addition.

The other possibility would be schools with HUGE research budgets that could be an incredible addition to the CIC.

In order of preference: Iowa St, KU, and KSU. Logistically they would be the best for NU by far. Academically and culturally they would be a good fit. ISU has one of the best engineering, agricultural and veterinary colleges in the US. Eyeballs and TV revenue would be the biggest reason it would never happen. ISU already has a great rivalry with Iowa and makes a ton of sense. Unfortunately in the interest of population base and revenue I'm afraid that any expansion would have to take place in the east. The travel associated with being in the B1G has been the only downside to having joined them. The good news is that a place like Chicago is a huge upgrade in travel destinations. Happy Valley not so much.

IMO, the next round of Big Ten expansion will be driven by one of 3 things, none of which appear likely at this moment.

1. Notre Dame wants to join.
2. Texas wants to join.
3. UNC/Virginia want to join. I believe the only way either comes is with the other.

Not sure there are any other candidates that would earn consideration without one of these scenarios playing out. I could see a Kansas getting in if Texas joined and we needed another school to come in with them but I don't think we'll expand again with Kansas as the focal point. Oklahoma will never happen due to the AAU thing.

IMO, the next round of Big Ten expansion will be driven by one of 3 things, none of which appear likely at this moment.

1. Notre Dame wants to join.
2. Texas wants to join.
3. UNC/Virginia want to join. I believe the only way either comes is with the other.

Not sure there are any other candidates that would earn consideration without one of these scenarios playing out. I could see a Kansas getting in if Texas joined and we needed another school to come in with them but I don't think we'll expand again with Kansas as the focal point. Oklahoma will never happen due to the AAU thing.

Still makes no sense why schools like Michigan State, Rutgers, Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State are AAU and NU isn't. Especially Mich State. Funny how NU would still be in AAU if not for Texas lobbying Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, and Wisconsin to vote No.

Reactions: Husk10
I cant imagine state senators would sit by and block KU and OU from joining the B1G with all the additional money they would bring in. T Boone might be a problem though. Not sure about how he would affect a state legislative vote to allow OU to change conferences without Okie Lite.

I cant imagine state senators would sit by and block KU and OU from joining the B1G with all the additional money they would bring in. T Boone might be a problem though. Not sure about how he would affect a state legislative vote to allow OU to change conferences without Okie Lite.

OU would bring in more $ not really KU. If Delaney didn't want MU KU has no chance.

OU would bring in more $ not really KU. If Delaney didn't want MU KU has no chance.
I think you mis read what i meant. I mean that the schools themselves would receive more money from the B1G than the Big12. I do think KU is valuable to the B1G in basketball and OU in football, but the money I was talking about was directed at the increase those 2 schools would have by joining the Big Ten.

I think they look east for larger cities.....Boston College, Pitt, etc. If OU or KU have national followings.....so I could see either being an option.

Oklahoma would bring the Texas recruiting without all the Texas BS.
Balance in recruiting would be evened out overnight between the divisions.

The B1G is already a east division heavy conference in every aspect. Going east again makes little sense with relation to the west teams. Oklahoma and Kansas make perfect sense.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

I'm looking at football only NOT basketball, overall athletic program quality, culture or academics.

The easy answer is grab up the strongest teams to make an all powerful conference.

But I'm not so sure that this is a particularly good idea especially if the schedulers decide that the marquee teams play each other more frequently.

If we were to take the top 10 teams of all time and have them play in a conference we would end up with a bunch of mediocre teams.

Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame would be whizbang great to have but is it desirable overall for the conference?

The odds of any team emerging from conference and CCG play undefeated or 1 loss is quite low.

While the conference may do well in bowl play, unless the playoff expands to 8 or 16 teams its unlikely that the big10 would be in it much.

I probably wouldn't go that route.

I see an issue with division balance with the east being the stronger sporting a combined historical win% of .600 to the the west's .553.

I would poach Missouri (they'd come in a heartbeat), Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in the west.

I would take Virginia Tech and realign Purdue with the east where it is a more natural fit.

East.............West
Michigan.........Oklahoma
Ohio State.......Nebraska
Penn State.......Wisconsin
Virginia Tech....Minnesota
Michigan State...Missouri
Maryland.........Iowa
Purdue...........Illinois
Rutgers..........Oklahoma State
Indiana..........Northwestern

Looks better balanced to me (east win% .593 to .569 for the west) and good geographic sense.

The SEC will go hunting for a replacement and expansion which spells doom for the ACC and Big12 see ya FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia and West Virginia.

Texas and BYU possibly Colorado State?, TCU?, Baylor?, Fresno State? will go to the PAC1?

Let the Domers pound sand and beg the MAC to take them when the ACC goes tits up.

Go Blue!

Last edited:
Reactions: arf_man and HuskAir
I think Missouri would leave the SEC in a heartbeat for the Big Ten. My in-laws are in St. Louis and I go to a lot of Cardinal games. In talking to other fans, when they find out I'm from Nebraska the conversation inevitably turns to football. They do NOT like the SEC and say they are just not a good fit for that conference, both athletically and demographically. They always made it known they would go to the Big Ten if asked years ago, and I don't think it's any different now. I would take MU and KU. Iowa State brings nothing to the table and I don't think Iowa would ever allow that to happen. Otherwise it would have happened already. Just my thoughts.

I'm looking at football only NOT basketball, overall athletic program quality, culture or academics.

The easy answer is grab up the strongest teams to make an all powerful conference.

But I'm not so sure that this is a particularly good idea especially if the schedulers decide that the marquee teams play each other more frequently.

If we were to take the top 10 teams of all time and have them play in a conference we would end up with a bunch of mediocre teams.

Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame would be whizbang great to have but is it desirable overall for the conference?

The odds of any team emerging from conference and CCG play undefeated or 1 loss is quite low.

While the conference may do well in bowl play, unless the playoff expands to 8 or 16 teams its unlikely that the big10 would be in it much.

I probably wouldn't go that route.

I see an issue with division balance with the east being the stronger sporting a combined historical win% of .600 to the the west's .553.

I would poach Missouri (they'd come in a heartbeat), Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in the west.

I would take Virginia Tech and realign Purdue with the east where it is a more natural fit.

East West
Michigan Oklahoma
Ohio State Nebraska
Penn State Wisconsin
Virginia Tech Minnesota
Michigan State Missouri
Maryland Iowa
Purdue Illinois
Rutgers Oklahoma State
Indiana Northwestern

Looks better balanced to me (east win% .593 to .569 for the west) and good geographic sense.

The SEC will go hunting for a replacement and expansion which spells doom for the ACC and Big12 see ya FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia and West Virginia.

Texas and BYU possibly Colorado State?, TCU?, Baylor?, Fresno State? will go to the PAC1?

Let the Domers pound sand and beg the MAC to take them when the ACC goes tits up.

Go Blue!
You are looking at it from a fans' perspective, meaning reaching the national championship game is the goal and that sort of thing. From a business standpoint, it is still important, but much less so.. Delany want's bargaining power when he sits down to negotiate the tv contracts. He would rather say "I have 50 high caliber games" vs. saying "I have 30 high caliber games". He also wants to show that the B1G market is X amount of viewers, where X is the biggest number possible. Reaching the national championship game is further down the list of priorities, but it does still matter, just not as much as what a fan's perspective would be.

They definitely need to rebalance the East & West Divisions.

The only way you can go West is if you can get Oklahoma, and then Kansas is comes with the package.

If you can go East and take Virginia & North Carolina, then Michigan & Michigan State jump to the West.

The other caveat I'd add is that if we get to 16, then we go to (4) pods of 4 teams to ensure your conference games aren't always only with the East or West Divisions and that you get some variety.

So if you add Oklahoma & Kansas, it would look like (sorry about spacing - MS Word Copy & Paste):

West
  1. Nebraska
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Kansas
  4. Iowa
  1. Wisconsin
  2. Minnesota
  3. Purdue
  4. Indiana

East
  1. Michigan
  2. Michigan State
  3. Northwestern
  4. Illinois
  1. Ohio State
  2. Penn State
  3. Maryland
  4. Rutgers

If you add, North Carolina and Virginia then Michigan and Michigan State jump to the West:

West
  1. Nebraska
  2. Wisconsin
  3. Iowa
  4. Minnesota

1. Michigan
  2. Michigan State
  3. Northwestern
  4. Illinois
East
  1. Ohio State
  2. Penn State
  3. Purdue
  4. Indiana
  1. North Carolina
  2. Virginia
  3. Maryland
  4. Rutgers

Either option is better than the current alignment....

M.

Delany has been after ND for years and they continually say " No Thanks". If the B1G wants to get ND, we will have to add another heavy weight that will bring more prestige and TVs to the B1G. I can think of 1 team for that and people will definitely say " Hell NO ". We should add Texas to lure ND. I know it doesn't fit the connecting states thing that Delany has stated is a must but I am sure he would disregard that if he could get ND because of Texas.

If those are a dream and we only add 2, I would go with Kansas and Louisville. If we add 4, I would again go with KU, Louisville, OU and Virginia or NC.
L'ville, will never be invited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT