ADVERTISEMENT

Draft week. NFL Draft info. QB's

that's placing a huge bet that Drake Maye > Penix + Jefferson

considering the film, i don't know how you can even justify Maye > Penix
Maye’s upside is his athleticism and he doesn’t have Penix’s injury history. I don’t disagree much other than that. That’s why I think trading down from 7 might not be a bad gamble. Maybe you still get a QB but if not you could maybe pick up another early round defensive starter. People keep talking up the Vikes’ O line but I think they need another good O lineman. It seemed they constantly were playing with a scrub on their O line when somebody got nicked up. Frankly I’m just kind of disgusted by the Vikings and ready to root for somebody else. IF the Raiders had kept Bisaccia as their head coach I would be following them.

Maye’s upside is his athleticism and he doesn’t have Penix’s injury history. I don’t disagree much other than that. That’s why I think trading down from 7 might not be a bad gamble. Maybe you still get a QB but if not you could maybe pick up another early round defensive starter. People keep talking up the Vikes’ O line but I think they need another good O lineman. It seemed they constantly were playing with a scrub on their O line when somebody got nicked up. Frankly I’m just kind of disgusted by the Vikings and ready to root for somebody else. IF the Raiders had kept Bisaccia as their head coach I would be following them.
Drew Lock doesn't have Joe Burrow's injury history.

I think Penix's injury history is being overblown. Were it repeated concussions or a current injury, i'd think it was cause for major concern, but they were all a function of running the ball too often and he seems to have adjusted.

Also, Penix ran a much faster 40 than Maye so i'd be highly doubtful that he's more athletic.

the allure to Maye is hoping he'll take a gigantic developmental leap. those prayers can work when they fall into your lap, but are rarely worth mortgaging your future for.

Reactions: Huskers123456
Pats have a lot of needs. They could get their playmaker proven WR and still maybe get McCarthy. They’ve got Brisset who likely will be better than Maye and McCarthy. In my mind it makes sense for both teams.
You need to bring your Jacoby Brissett take over to the Patriots Reddit. See how that goes. :)

Drew Lock doesn't have Joe Burrow's injury history.

I think Penix's injury history is being overblown. Were it repeated concussions or a current injury, i'd think it was cause for major concern, but they were all a function of running the ball too often and he seems to have adjusted.

Also, Penix ran a much faster 40 than Maye so i'd be highly doubtful that he's more athletic.

the allure to Maye is hoping he'll take a gigantic developmental leap. those prayers can work when they fall into your lap, but are rarely worth mortgaging your future for.
I didn't mean to imply that Maye was more athletic than Penix. My point was that Penix has had multiple injuries and that's just wear and tear on his body. I was very surprised that he was taken where he was. Again, none of the QBs including Williams do much for me. Burrow was a can't miss coming out of college. He was tremendous against the best defenses in the country and I don't recall him having any injuries in college. Penix not so much. As far as Maye goes, I like his combination of size, athleticism and accuracy but I think he'll struggle in New England.

I didn't mean to imply that Maye was more athletic than Penix. My point was that Penix has had multiple injuries and that's just wear and tear on his body. I was very surprised that he was taken where he was. Again, none of the QBs including Williams do much for me. Burrow was a can't miss coming out of college. He was tremendous against the best defenses in the country and I don't recall him having any injuries in college. Penix not so much. As far as Maye goes, I like his combination of size, athleticism and accuracy but I think he'll struggle in New England.
Burrow rode the bench for 3 years at OSU. Hard to get hurt when not playing. He was can't miss in hindsight, but in reality he did it for one year with Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase as his weapons.

Burrow rode the bench for 3 years at OSU. Hard to get hurt when not playing. He was can't miss in hindsight, but in reality he did it for one year with Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase as his weapons.
Penix had both of his WRs drafted in the first 2 rounds as well. Burrow took a ton of hits his first year at LSU. He did it without the injuries that Penix incurred. That said, I'm not saying Penix is more injury prone. I'm saying that injuries are additive and tend to shorten careers of QBs. It's a fact. He's older and has had more injuries.

Penix had both of his WRs drafted in the first 2 rounds as well. Burrow took a ton of hits his first year at LSU. He did it without the injuries that Penix incurred. That said, I'm not saying Penix is more injury prone. I'm saying that injuries are additive and tend to shorten careers of QBs. It's a fact. He's older and has had more injuries.
And Washington had a third WR drafted in the 3rd plus their left tackle was arguably one of the best 10 players in college football last year. That team was loaded with talent.

I'm also hearing that the Raiders wanted to trade up from 13 to get Penix. So that guy definitely had teams that were high on him. My Steelers liked him as well, but they wouldn't have drafted him at 20 (if he was available) because they already had a plan at QB. And so did the Falcons by signing Cousins to that huge contract. I just don't understand why the Falcons did what they did. Very weird.

And Washington had a third WR drafted in the 3rd plus their left tackle was arguably one of the best 10 players in college football last year. That team was loaded with talent.

I'm also hearing that the Raiders wanted to trade up from 13 to get Penix. So that guy definitely had teams that were high on him. My Steelers liked him as well, but they wouldn't have drafted him at 20 (if he was available) because they already had a plan at QB. And so did the Falcons by signing Cousins to that huge contract. I just don't understand why the Falcons did what they did. Very weird.
Some of the analysts I've listened to say that Penix has the best physical tools of everybody not named Caleb. I think he's a tough dude and more mentally mature than Daniels. Unless there's some concern about Cousins' recovery, it was still a dumb pick. Of course, IMO giving an upper 30 year old QB with a torn achilles that much guaranteed money was insane to begin with.

Last edited:
Some of the analysts I've listened to say that Penix has the best physical tools of everybody not named Caleb. I think he's a tough dude and more mentally mature than Daniels. Unless there's some concern about Cousins' recovery, it was still a dumb pick. Of course, IMO giving an upper 30 year old QB with a torn achilles that much guaranteed money was insane to begin with.
I can't make sense of it. 2 years from now? Sure. Next year? I suppose. But they must have believed in Cousins to give him that deal. Sure, maybe they consider it a 3 year deal and needed the 4th to entice him, but either way they were all in. Heard a guy on the radio say the Falcons feel they have a playoff roster without needing a non-qb in the 1st round so they took Penix. Uh, ok. How about trade down then and get a 2nd day pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT