ADVERTISEMENT

Draft week. NFL Draft info. QB's

I live in the Chi and Bears fans I know are all over the map when it comes to the best thing to do. Gonna a real tough call. Could get a kings ransom for that pick but can you pass on the consensus #1 QB? Probably the most highly regarded since Lawrence and maybe as far back as Luck?

No matter what they do at that position, it always seems to be the wrong move. Fields could be great somewhere else. Bears defense getting better has definitely improved his game too.

Could keep him for another 2 years without committing to a 2nd contract. Maybe also a sign and trade?

Curious what the market is for him. If you're a middling team like the Raiders or Falcons, wouldn't you rather have Fields than your current starter, assuming you're not getting Caleb or Maye?

Reactions: king_kong_
Curious what the market is for him. If you're a middling team like the Raiders or Falcons, wouldn't you rather have Fields than your current starter, assuming you're not getting Caleb or Maye?
I think other teams would bid him up to something like 5 and $150 mil. He has much more upside than Mitch, even if Mitch experienced more success.

Interestingly enough, there aren't THAT many teams that need a QB.

Pats, Giants, Falcons, Broncos, Vikes (if Cousins doesn't return), Raiders maybe, Bucs maybe (Baker having a pretty good year).

If I'm Panthers or Skins, I'm probably going to move on, but I don't know that they will this soon.

Why? Dude had high picks and huge cap space. If you are good at your job it doesn't get much better than his position.
because now he has to make a career defining decision and the right answer is anything but clear

Bears fan here, I’m sold that Fields is our guy. Trade down a couple spots, hopefully draft Harrison and possibly Bowers as well and then just stack the lines. They’ve shown significant improvement this year imo and changing qb’s and coaches again just restarts the process. The D is significantly better, fields still has room to improve but the trajectory is clearly up

Bears fan here, I’m sold that Fields is our guy. Trade down a couple spots, hopefully draft Harrison and possibly Bowers as well and then just stack the lines. They’ve shown significant improvement this year imo and changing qb’s and coaches again just restarts the process. The D is significantly better, fields still has room to improve but the trajectory is clearly up
I think Eberflus is safe now. Not 6 weeks ago, but he is now.

I'd stay with Fields, deal #1 for more picks, and keep building.
We talk about this almost weekly at work because it's so intriguing. I just help but think you can't go wrong with Marvin Harrison Jr.

I wonder about Marvin Harrison Jr. at 1 and a OT at 10? If I thought MH Jr. was available at 3 or 4 I would trade down. I think all the qbs are somewhat similar in that they are all flawed and all really talented and experienced. No Peyton Manning but no Trey Lance.

Williams has the best arm talent of any of the college kids coming and a lot of the pros. He's the best player at the most important position. Have to take him even though he's a little weird. Plus you can get the rookie contract thing and build the team around him.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Williams has the best arm talent of any of the college kids coming and a lot of the pros. He's the best player at the most important position. Have to take him even though he's a little weird. Plus you can get the rookie contract thing and build the team around him.
As a bears fan, I do not care at all about eccentric/weird.

The two best quarterbacks in Bears history are Jim McMahon and Jay Cutler. Couple of big time oddballs.

Its a huge media market, but also by far the most forgiving so long as there are wins.

Williams is an enticing prospect, to be sure. As is any QB’s 4 year rookie contract window.

I’d be excited to have him. Hope springs eternal, as we Husker fans can attest

I live in the Chi and Bears fans I know are all over the map when it comes to the best thing to do. Gonna a real tough call. Could get a kings ransom for that pick but can you pass on the consensus #1 QB? Probably the most highly regarded since Lawrence and maybe as far back as Luck?

No matter what they do at that position, it always seems to be the wrong move. Fields could be great somewhere else. Bears defense getting better has definitely improved his game too.
I used to live there, how are the local sports talk show hosts handling it? Are they anti-Fields or does it just depend on the day?

As a bears fan, I do not care at all about eccentric/weird.

The two best quarterbacks in Bears history are Jim McMahon and Jay Cutler. Couple of big time oddballs.

Its a huge media market, but also by far the most forgiving so long as there are wins.

Williams is an enticing prospect, to be sure. As is any QB’s 4 year rookie contract window.

I’d be excited to have him. Hope springs eternal, as we Husker fans can attest
Growing up there, I agree. Bears fans LOVE a winner, their fan base is insanely loyal and each home game is really an event.

And if you play for the bears and win...you are a god.

Stunned there are Bears fans who want to give the vegan more time. You have a chance to move on, don't have to give up any draft capital (cough cough Denver) or overpay for a marginal talent (cough cough Dallas)...You can draft Maye or Williams and fix the most important position on the team. I'd be pissed if I were a Bear fan and they decide to run Fields out there again. Lost season if they do, and lets say he improves a little....you don't get the #1 pick next year and will draft somebody with less upside than what you can draft this year and you're still in QB purgatory.

If you want to keep building, it would make sense to draft a QB. The best way to build in the NFL is to do it with a QB on his rookie deal. Fields has one more year on his current deal. Let a team like the Falcons trade for him and extend him on a high risk (for the team), high dollar guaranteed contract. They may even give the Bears a high 2nd rounder for the privilege.

I wouldn't pass on Marvin Harrison Jr. Guy is as big of lock to be awesome that I have seen. Get him one way or another. Trading down would be ideal but I don't risk missing him.
As a guy who has followed the NFL draft for years, one thing that we need to remember is that trading down is not easy. Just about everyone wants to do it. Not too many franchises like the Panthers that are run by a no nothing owner who will give you stupid value to move down.

It is very difficult to trade down and get equal or better value and then still get the player you want. Teams that regularly succeed in the NFL make sure that they get their guy. The guy best known for trading down is Bill Belichick and his drafts have been terrible.

If you want to keep building, it would make sense to draft a QB. The best way to build in the NFL is to do it with a QB on his rookie deal. Fields has one more year on his current deal. Let a team like the Falcons trade for him and extend him on a high risk (for the team), high dollar guaranteed contract. They may even give the Bears a high 2nd rounder for the privilege.

I appreciate that theory, it's just that they're probably ready to be a playoff team next year and it's hard to expect that out of a rookie qb, even one as talented as Williams.

Reactions: Dean Pope
It is very difficult to trade down and get equal or better value and then still get the player you want. Teams that regularly succeed in the NFL make sure that they get their guy. The guy best known for trading down is Bill Belichick and his drafts have been terrible.

Man, has he been awful as GM the last several years. Their roster is garbage.

As a guy who has followed the NFL draft for years, one thing that we need to remember is that trading down is not easy. Just about everyone wants to do it. Not too many franchises like the Panthers that are run by a no nothing owner who will give you stupid value to move down.

Packers have done it semi-successfully for years but as a Packers fan it's maddening at times. Worked this year when they traded down and got Reed and Wicks with those picks.

I think the Bears could have traded down easier with a surefire couple of qbs at the top. Problem is there are too many qbs so why trade up.

But like I said, I personally ensure I get MH Jr. No one is going to regret drafting him, no matter what pick.

Take Maye. He has the proper size and an excellent arm. He just needs polish. Williams is not tall enough and wont hold up under the scrutiny. Would love to see him cry in a Raiders uni, however.

You haven’t seen enough of Fields? Time for a hard reset.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I appreciate that theory, it's just that they're probably ready to be a playoff team next year and it's hard to expect that out of a rookie qb, even one as talented as Williams.
Well, if the Bears think that they are close, then it's a different conversation. They may want to keep Fields. But if they do, they could be looking at having to extend him this off-season and there goes your cap space. It's still early, but there are generally three QBs with top five ratings at this point. Realistically, if the Bears want Harrison, they may need to draft him #1. Other teams near the top of the draft may like Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye enough to the point that they don't want to give up a lot of picks to move up to #1.

Reactions: cubsker
Bears are close to winning more game with Fields?...like one or two. games? Three? So then what? You only get better enough to drop in the next draft. To win in the NFL you need better QB play than what Fields gives you.

Reactions: drubendall
Tom Welling Dd GIF

Bears are close to winning more game with Fields?...like one or two. games? Three? So then what? You only get better enough to drop in the next draft. To win in the NFL you need better QB play than what Fields gives you.

His last 6 games, they're 4-2 with 3 point and 5 point losses to playoff teams where they had double digit leads in the 4th qtr.

When I lived in Indy I remember Bill PolIan talking about drafting a Qb with the number 1 pick, He said if you love the guy and truly feel he is the man you draft him, If you are not sold 100% trade down. It seems most are not sold 100% on Fields so then the question is are you 100% sold on one of the prospects in the draft. I sure don’t have the answer but it will be really interesting to watch it play out.

His last 6 games, they're 4-2 with 3 point and 5 point losses to playoff teams where they had double digit leads in the 4th qtr.

Yeah I just looked...you think beating Atlanta or Minnnesota or Arizona is something to hang your hat on? Then keep Fields. Sweet. Bears will get beat by alnost every decent team with a decent QB as long as Fields is taking the snaps. For the 17 games they've played this season, they have one quality win. Detroit. For his career they are abysmal X 10.

Reactions: drubendall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT