ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball: Iowa @ Nebraska HUSKERS WIN IN 2OT!!

Tai Webster with an all-time effort. Someone get that kid an ice tub and new feet. Wow!

So, does this win over Iowa BB vanquish the sting of losing to Iowa in football?.
Edited quote as I quoted the wrong comment and could not figure out how to insert the other quote in edit...

Maybe Riley should take note that playing the young players can light a fire under a team's ass...

Or maybe the AD should tell Riley to win or you are gone like he did Miles a couple weeks ago...

(Humor... not serious)

Reactions: GBRhuskers
Great game. let's see if you can get a sweep in Iowa City next month or the young Hawks play pay back.

Reactions: Alum-Ni
And this team is YOUNG. This kind of experience is immeasurable. I hope this quiets some of the Miles haters who continue to reference the three man weave. This guy is simply a winner.

Three man weave-lose to Gardner Webb. No three man weave-three straight wins. This isn't about this guy being a winner, it's about a warm seat dictating coaching changes. Don't crown this guy coach k yet, Iowa started four freshmen and easily could have won. I'm excited for the team, I like the coaching adjustments, and enjoy seeing some chemistry that's been lacking.

This ref crew should be suspended for at least a game for poor performance. Some of the worst officiating I've seen.
Missing that tip-in call on the floor was bad enough. But not going to the monitor to make what would have been an obvious correction was absolutely gutless. Refs hold up games all the time for ticky-tack calls and shot-clock corrections, but they won't take 10 seconds to see that they gifted a team a HUGE basket with less that 2:00 minutes to play? That's not just incompetence - it's being too arrogant to admit you might have gotten a huge call wrong.

What did the announcers say about them allowing the tip? I don't think they even reviewed it? If that is not worth going to the monitor for, why even have it? It was under 2 minutes.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
What did the announcers say about them allowing the tip? I don't think they even reviewed it? If that is not worth going to the monitor is for, why even have it? It was under 2 minutes.
Announcers said the refs got it wrong, but didn't get too excited because they thought they would surely review it and get it right. But hey, we can't hold up the game for such an insignificant call.

Missing that tip-in call on the floor was bad enough. But not going to the monitor to make what would have been an obvious correction was absolutely gutless. Refs hold up games all the time for ticky-tack calls and shot-clock corrections, but they won't take 10 seconds to see that the gifted a team a HUGE basket with less that 2:00 minutes to play? That's not just incompetence - it's being too arrogant to admit you might have gotten a huge call wrong.
Why was Fran still upset after they corrected the foul count on Jok back to 4? Dude bumped refs and was trying to get at the scorers table.

That being said... the coaches in NCAA need to be knocked down a few pegs. It was a circus on both benches tonight. Hell they stalled the game forever when we were due to shoot free throws so they could powder Frannies diaper. And Miles was not much better.

Why was Fran still upset after they corrected the foul count on Jok back to 4? Dude bumped refs and was trying to get at the scorers table.

That being said... the coaches in NCAA need to be knocked down a few pegs. It was a circus on both benches tonight. Hell they stalled the game forever when we were due to shoot free throws so they could powder Frannies diaper. And Miles was not much better.
I really think one of the reasons college basketball officiating is so bad is that it's the only sport I know of where the coaches are allowed to berate the officials right from the opening tip. In my opinion, that leads to a host of make-up calls, my-turn-to-get-one calls, and I-don't-want-Coach Blank-phoning-my-supervisor-tomorrow calls. Would love to see coaches get T'd up early in the game and put an end to all the crying, lobbying and arm-twisting.

Thank God many on this board aren't Athletic Directors. Miles would already be gone. Stick around with Riley while you're at it and you'll enjoy that ride eventually too.

LOL! Miles lucks out and loses one of his poorly performing players to an injury, which essentially makes his lineup choice for him, and all of a sudden he's a genius and not the guy that was going to get fired after this season?? Give me a break. We're in year 5, and for the first time, we have a semblance of an offense. It's about fking time..

Reactions: huskernaut
I really think one of the reasons college basketball officiating is so bad is that it's the only sport I know of where the coaches are allowed to berate the officials right from the opening tip. In my opinion, that leads to a host of make-up calls, my-turn-to-get-one calls, and I-don't-want-Coach Blank-phoning-my-supervisor-tomorrow calls. Would love to see coaches get T'd up early in the game and put an end to all the crying, lobbying and arm-twisting.
Agree. It hurts the game. Hell even Molinari was in their grill tonight. Half the time I think that guy is tripping acid during games. Watch him stare at the screen during timeouts.

These refs go to the monitor 3 to 5 times a game nowadays and they huddle at mid-court to discuss a call they obviously got wrong and the crowd clearly saw on the big screen was wrong and they still don't go to the monitor? WTF? I'd like to hear an explanation from the league on that one.

Agree. It hurts the game. Hell even Molinari was in their grill tonight. Half the time I think that guy is tripping acid during games. Watch him stare at the screen during timeouts.
Every time I see Molinari I keep thinking, Why is Anthony Bourdain from Parts Unkown sitting on NU's bench?

Reactions: DonlugoQ
LOL! Miles lucks out and loses one of his poorly performing players to an injury, which essentially makes his lineup choice for him, and all of a sudden he's a genius and not the guy that was going to get fired after this season?? Give me a break. We're in year 5, and for the first time, we have a semblance of an offense. It's about fking time..
Let me address. Miles has a history of winning wherever he has coached. I'll take past performance as an indicator more than an angry fan's opinion.

Regarding Year 5, on paper I could agree but it ignores the magical run the team had that made the NCAA tournament. That magical run actually set the team back because he was unable to install his system and instead had to have another year of simply relying on Petteway to get hot every game. That in essence started his implementation clock back by two years. I get it. You hate Miles and crowed loudly after a loss to GW. Now I can crow loudly after the first 3-0 conference start in 41 years.

These refs go to the monitor 3 to 5 times a game nowadays and they huddle at mid-court to discuss a call they obviously got wrong and the crowd clearly saw on the big screen was wrong and they still don't go to the monitor? WTF? I'd like to hear an explanation from the league on that one.
That's the thing. The good old boy network will protect them. The way the crowd reacted after the replay.... I thought for sure one of them would say "we better check this so we can make it out of here alive".

In all honesty I remember 2 or 3 plays that they hosed Iowa on too. One of them was when one of their players simply reached in front of him to grab the ball. Our player ran through him from behind, and they call a foul on Iowa. I would have been ejected almost immediately

Missing that tip-in call on the floor was bad enough. But not going to the monitor to make what would have been an obvious correction was absolutely gutless. Refs hold up games all the time for ticky-tack calls and shot-clock corrections, but they won't take 10 seconds to see that they gifted a team a HUGE basket with less that 2:00 minutes to play? That's not just incompetence - it's being too arrogant to admit you might have gotten a huge call wrong.

Couldn't have said it better. Miles needs to file a complaint on that call alone, but the black ref was horrible the entire game. The most inconsistent ref I've seen in quite some time. He needs to choose a new vocation.

Last edited:
Couldn't have said it better. Miles needs to file a complaint on that call alone, but the black guy was horrible the entire game. The most inconsistent ref I've seen in quite some time. He needs to choose a new vocation.
His throw for the 2nd overtime jump was damn near a 45 degree angle toward the Iowa kid. Our courtside fans actually got off their asses and gave him hell for it. It takes damn near murder for them to get off their thumbs.

Same here.

Seriously, why did they not go to the monitor? No way it should have counted if the ref on the right side of the camera shot raised his arm and blew his whistle at or before the Husker player touched the ball, which was before the Iowa guy tipped it in!

Like 463 said, it happens, but just crazy that they didn't go to the monitor on that one.

Obviously it's waaay too premature to say that the Huskers will make the NCAA tournament, but I think they have a better chance than Syracuse at this point.

Let me address. Miles has a history of winning wherever he has coached. I'll take past performance as an indicator more than an angry fan's opinion.

Regarding Year 5, on paper I could agree but it ignores the magical run the team had that made the NCAA tournament. That magical run actually set the team back because he was unable to install his system and instead had to have another year of simply relying on Petteway to get hot every game. That in essence started his implementation clock back by two years. I get it. You hate Miles and crowed loudly after a loss to GW. Now I can crow loudly after the first 3-0 conference start in 41 years.

Wrong! The only reason why Miles hasn't been fired already is because he had two players that played outside of his drab offensive sets in year 2, and got us to the Tourney. Think about that. The only time we've been successful under him is when players refused to play in his system and slashed and gunned their way to the Tourney.

That being said, for whatever reason, this team is playing team basketball for the first time in I don't know how long, and it looks like an offensive system. So, I have to give credit where credit is due.

Miles brought the players in, and they are finally playing team offense, and moving without the ball to get open, so Miles should get the credit. I'm not so sure either of our previous 2 coaches couldn't have gotten the same out of these players, but Miles brought them in, so he should get credit for it. Congratulations to he and his staff and players. It would be great to see this trend continue.

Wrong! The only reason why Miles hasn't been fired already is because he had two players that played outside of his drab offensive sets in year 2, and got us to the Tourney. Think about that. The only time we've been successful under him is when players refused to play in his system and slashed and gunned their way to the Tourney.

That being said, for whatever reason, this team is playing team basketball for the first time in I don't know how long, and it looks like an offensive system. So, I have to give credit where credit is due.

Miles brought the players in, and they are finally playing team offense, and moving without the ball to get open, so Miles should get the credit. I'm not so sure either of our previous 2 coaches couldn't have gotten the same out of these players, but Miles brought them in, so he should get credit for it. Congratulations to he and his staff and players. It would be great to see this trend continue.
We cannot afford to have Horne and McVeigh in the game at the same time if possible. They have both mastered the position Benny Parker used to play "go stand in the corner" is kind of bad when you have guys doing it on both sides of the court.
And if I hear defense is the reason Horne doesn't (or wasn't) getting more minutes, my head may explode.

Same here.

Seriously, why did they not go to the monitor? No way it should have counted if the ref on the right side of the camera shot raised his arm and blew his whistle at or before the Husker player touched the ball, which was before the Iowa guy tipped it in!

Like 463 said, it happens, but just crazy that they didn't go to the monitor on that one.
I figured maybe it wasn't reviewable. If it was, then that is absolutely inexcusable and they should be fired. It's bad enough to get something wrong in the first place, it's even worse to get it wrong on review, but it is unconscionable to not even review it if it is reviewable. We better get an explanation from the conference on it.

Can someone confirm if that play is allowed to be reviewed?

I've always thought the only plays that can reviewed are [1] shot clock violation, [2] who the ball went off of, [3] game clock accuracy and [4] flagrant fouls [5] who committed the foul. I may very well be wrong?

Miles seemed animated, pointing to the scorers table for a review and one of the officials put his hands up like "stop" then Miles quickly calmed down after the explanation.

Reactions: Red Steve

Just got home from the game. We sat right behind the scorers table. I don't know how there were no technicals tonight. Molinari was going off like a mad man and got a warning and then Fran freaked out on the score keeper when he made the mistake on Jok's 4th foul. He walked right over and was screaming F bombs at him like crazy. Then the ref grabbed him, took him over to the bench and whispered something in his ear and Fran shut up and patted the ref on the butt. No clue what was said. The refs really let the game and coaches get out of control tonight. On the tip in, the replay guy was freaking out because he rewound it a bunch of times and knew it was wrong. No clue how they didnt review that. If Nebraska would have lost they had nobody to blame but themselves with all the missed free throws. Also, Jacobson looks like he is realizing his role and is playing well right now. Rebound, play defense and make the shots that are given to you in scoring areas. Great game and fun to be at tonight.

Just got home from the game. We sat right behind the scorers table. I don't know how there were no technicals tonight. Molinari was going off like a mad man and got a warning and then Fran freaked out on the score keeper when he made the mistake on Jok's 4th foul. He walked right over and was screaming F bombs at him like crazy. Then the ref grabbed him, took him over to the bench and whispered something in his ear and Fran shut up and patted the ref on the butt. No clue what was said. The refs really let the game and coaches get out of control tonight. On the tip in, the replay guy was freaking out because he rewound it a bunch of times and knew it was wrong. No clue how they didnt review that. If Nebraska would have lost they had nobody to blame but themselves with all the missed free throws. Also, Jacobson looks like he is realizing his role and is playing well right now. Rebound, play defense and make the shots that are given to you in scoring areas. Great game and fun to be at tonight.

Good for you for being there. How loud was it?

I've always thought the only plays that can reviewed are [1] shot clock violation, [2] who the ball went off of, [3] game clock accuracy and [4] flagrant fouls [5] who committed the foul. I may very well be wrong?

Miles seemed animated, pointing to the scorers table for a review and one of the officials put his hands up like "stop" then Miles quickly calmed down after the explanation.
Miles and Molinari were freaking out on that play because the replay guy at the scorers table was yelling at them that the basket shouldn't have counted after he watched it. I don't think he was supposed to do that because after he realized he was doing it he shut up and turned away like he knew he may get in trouble.

Good for you for being there. How loud was it?
It got pretty loud at times in the second half and overtime. Nothing really sustained like the no sit Sunday game against Wisconsin. Jok kinda took the crowd out of it when he got hot in the second half. He almost tried do too much after that and got a little sloppy with the ball at times.
I also have to say it was great to watch Watson and Webster play close up. Those two were working tonight. Best backcourt duo in the Big Ten right now. Watching Jok and Watson dueling for a while was a treat too. Webster was doing everything he could with Jok for a while. He just hit some monster shots.

tai not getting #5 while guarding jok for a long time was maybe the best thing he did.
And it wasn't like Tai was laying off of him either. He was getting pretty physical with him at times and finally took him out of his hot streak. You could just tell Jok was feeling it when iowa went on that run.

I would think this play could be reviewed, because it's not a judgement call, like traveling or double-dribble or a foul being called. It would be the equivalent of a football review of an incomplete pass, because it was such a bang bang play, and they needed to find out if the foul was called prior to the Iowa player touching the ball. I don't know if that makes sense, but I can't imagine the sequence of events not being reviewable.

I guess it depends on ones perspective :Cool:

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment but I'd say Fran was better than Miles.. Heck of a game. Fantastic crowd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT