ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball... if only...

artguy68

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
A few years ago, Nebraska was oh so close to landing Adam Woodbury, Iowa's 7'1" center, and Matt Gesell, Iowa's PG who dropped 22 points and 10 assists on us today. They are from Sioux City and South Sioux City, so we had the inside track. Alas.

Imagine if the Huskers has a big center these last few years. Imagine if we had a true PG these last few years. If only.

Miles had 3 recruiting classes to deliver the above and failed. Still looking for that big man(please Elijah Thomas)...we have the PG in Watson. Miles needs more help than just that though....coaching seems questionable. Lack of shooters thru the roster.

2015-2016 BIG season (in conference) - major revenue sports - Football + Basketball combined

Nebraska is in the conversation for the worst team in the conference

Re: Watson as our PG, I still hope he will develop over time, but I think the jury is still out as to whether he will be "the guy".

I guess I remembered wrong about Woodbury. Thanks for being as cool as ever about it. Always can count on this board to be as condescending as possible. Gessel had NU as one of his top picks-- would have loved to have him over these last 4 years.

I used to live in Sioux City and still have good friends in South Sioux. They said Gessel's Dad and family were big Husker fans and wanted him to come here. However, Doc apparently always gave up recruiting kids when someone else pressed hard for them. Same case here. Doc basically gave up and didn't press near as hard to get him as the Hawkeyes did. A lot of other Nebraska kids ended up playing DI that Doc didn't even recruit. Doc and Bo must have had a lot of lunches together as they both missed out on a lot of good local kids.

I used to live in Sioux City and still have good friends in South Sioux. They said Gessel's Dad and family were big Husker fans and wanted him to come here. However, Doc apparently always gave up recruiting kids when someone else pressed hard for them. Same case here. Doc basically gave up and didn't press near as hard to get him as the Hawkeyes did. A lot of other Nebraska kids ended up playing DI that Doc didn't even recruit. Doc and Bo must have had a lot of lunches together as they both missed out on a lot of good local kids.
I know of TWO other 7 footers from our area that started on winning D-1 programs at power 5 schools that Doc failed to effectively recruit. BOTH ended up at Minnesota playing for Tubby. One transferred to CSU to play for Miles (only reason) then Miles got hired away before he was elgible to play. A kid like Iverson right now would be a HUGE help for this team. I will note that Gessele and Woodbury BOTH struggled early in their careers. I have high hopes for the youngsters Miles has recruited.

ADVERTISEMENT