ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news for breakfast cereal

In the 1890s, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg and his brother, W.K. Kellogg, invented their signature Corn Flakes cereal in Battle Creek, Michigan. Dr. Kellogg was a devout Seventh-day Adventist who advocated against any form of sexual activity, while also promoting a vegetarian diet, leading to experimentation with grains. Dr. Kellogg also ran the Battle Creek Sanitarium — a world-famous medical wellness spa where his patients stuck to diets of all bland foods.

What royally sucks is the high paying jobs that will go away here when that happens. I was engaged to a chick several years back who worked there and gawd damn do they pay well. Yes they work you to death, but they paid you for it. She was making $125(ish) ...downside is she'd go 3 weeks straight without a day off but there aren't to many jobs you can make that at...and it didn't require a degree.

I don't know why they closed and don't care enough to research it, but I know their employees like to hold the plant hostage with strikes every once and a while...cannot help but wonder if that had sumthin to do with it. Pretty sure, if I remember correctly, they were unionized, which i'm also pretty sure didn't help their cause.

Regardless, that sucks for them and Omaha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT