ADVERTISEMENT

At least this staff can hang their hat on

Wrong, acting like a whining kid like HB13, who's always been a negative wimp. The fans were booing more than they were cheering today.
This ship will go down even harder if we lose hope.
Put your hope in one hand and crap in the other...see which one gets filled up first.

I'd be willing to bet that we always had more walk-ons in our 2-deep than any program in the country. It's been a staple of the program for as long as I've been alive.

People crucified Callahan for "killing" the walk-on program, and now they are crucifying Pelini for giving too many scholarships to walk-ons. There's always an excuse.

I'm not asking for Riley to be fired, but he shouldn't be given a free pass. Player performance is either coached or tolerated.

It's because of fans like you they none of your coaching staffs have a chance to relax. Whiners, fair weather.
If you want to accept mediocrity or at this point worse than mediocrity that is fine. I will never watch a game like the one today and be ok with it. Nebraska fans know what good football looks like and this is not good football. Every coach at every blue blood program and plenty of Baylor type programs have to deal with high expectations. Many of them are higher expectations than the ones at NU. Thats why they get paid millions of dollars.

If you want to accept mediocrity or at this point worse than mediocrity that is fine. I will never watch a game like the one today and be ok with it. Nebraska fans know what good football looks like and this is not good football. Every coach at every blue blood program and plenty of Baylor type programs have to deal with high expectations. Many of them are higher expectations than the ones at NU. Thats why they get paid millions of dollars.
The blue bloods also have their issues.

Tell me what is so bad about the scheme. Please, everyone wants to bash the coaches/scheme. Tell me what they're trying to do and what is wrong with it. Quit making generic platitudes and talk football.

What I saw was a lack of speed on the edges and the back 7 that created situations that required guys to make one on one plays in space and we couldn't do it. We were in position to make plays but just weren't good enough to get it done. Our linebackers and defensive backs were chasing wr's and running backs all game long. We were too slow and not athletic enough to stop Northwestern's skill players.

On offense, our offensive line got BEAT UP by the NW defensive line and Tommie Armstrong couldn't make enough throws to keep the offense going. Everyone clamors for us to "RUN THE BALL!!" but when we did that, we were getting hit for 5 yard losses because our o-line couldn't stop them from penetrating up field.

Someone tell me how a coach overcomes poor athletic ability at linebacker and the secondary as well as on the offensive line and at quarterback. I've yet to hear a single one of you people blaming Riley/Langs/Banker speak up as to how to fix it. Let me hear it. Drop some specifics.

I am not going to bash on this staff, because I thought the defense actually performed much better. I think late in the game the lack of depth caught up with Nebraska's defense.

For most of the game, the defense performed very well. They essentially only gave up two long plays-both were QB runs. I thought the defense got out of position and had poor angles which resulted in the long runs. I don't think Nebraska's defense is slow or not athletic enough to stop almost anyone.

Offensively two things I would personally do better.
1. I would be playing more or different running backs.
2. 94 was killing Nebraska. Northwestern secondary could not stay with Nebraska WR. TA does not always play well when under pressure (as most QB's don't). These are three facts. That tells me either chip 94 with a rb or te or run more max protect to give TA some more time.

This game was probably more about lack of execution than it was coaching--although at the end of the day it is their job to get them ready to play. Defense lost contain a couple times which led to 10 points. TA made a terrible decision which led to a pick six. TA got sacked later that almost took Nebraska out of field goal range-when he should have thrown the ball away-that mistake didn't cost Nebraska.

Reactions: HuskerO
The blue bloods also have their issues.
Your right they do. But the ones that want to be competitive again do what Michigan and OSU did they go get a proven winner that won't put up with the things we are seeing. Those coaches draw a line in the sand and say your either with us or you don't touch the field. I would rather lose games watching players that try hard than watching guys that don't want to be there. Regardless of their talent level.

Your right they do. But the ones that want to be competitive again do what Michigan and OSU did they go get a proven winner that won't put up with the things we are seeing. Those coaches draw a line in the sand and say your either with us or you don't touch the field. I would rather lose games watching players that try hard than watching guys that don't want to be there. Regardless of their talent level.
Not too many of those left. Spurrier maybe?

Not too many of those left. Spurrier maybe?
Not entirely sure. That's where Eichorst is supposed to come in. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike MR. I just have to question why SE only interviewed one man. Maybe they go get a young hungry HC and try to surround him with great assistant coaches that can help him become the next Saban/Meyer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT