ADVERTISEMENT

Article about former Husker DB Ciante Evans

SarasotaHusker

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2003
FYI, Ciante is the only former Husker on a CFL roster this year.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/young-evans-eager-to-show-his-skills

No wide-eyed youngster walking in the shadows of the old guys.

Ciante Evans has been mixing it up with those same veterans, in the hopes that this weekend he will suit up for his first CFL regular-season game.

And the mere thought of it has the face of the quiet-spoken Calgary Stampeders’ defensive back out of Nebraska breaking out into a wide grin.

“Man, it’s been a long time,” he said. “I can’t even express to you in words how happy I am and excited to be playing on a football field.”

Evans is getting his share of reps this week after being activated from the practice roster. With a leg injury to corner Buddy Jackson and a tweak that has bothered Fred Bennett, Joe Burnett and Evans have given a bit of a different look to the secondary.

The 22-year-old Evans, a slight but adroit Texan, has spent the past couple of months learning both the CFL game and what exactly is expected of him.

“He’s a really crafty man-to-man guy; we’ve been excited to get him on the field,” said Stamps’ defensive backs coach Kahlil Carter. “He’s a young guy, but he studies really hard, he’s really bright, went to a really great program and we think that he will help us do some things this week.'”

“It’s more mental being on the practice squad because you never know when the opportunity is going to present itself,” said Evans. “At the same time, it’s our job to be as prepared as the guys in front of you.”

There is a wealth of experience in front of Evans and he’s simply soaking it all in, like a veritable sponge.

“I can’t really pick out one,” he said of a prospective mentor. “I pick everybody’s brain, especially all the vets. I want to know what they’re thinking so it can help me when I’m out there. They’ve been playing however long they’ve been playing and this is my first year, so I just want to figure out the nuances of the game and hopefully incorporate it into mine.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News