ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone see Cocaine Bear yet?

It's a campy horror film but more campy than scary. Lot's of laughs at dumb characters. I liked it as something fresh/different. First 2/3 fun and funny but I thought the last third wasn't as funny as the first part. A hit at the box office for a lower budget film. Possibly could become a cult film down the road.

I don't go to very many movies, especially now with the lack of selection.

Holding out for John Wick 4.

On my continued road to old fuddy duddy-dom I gotta say movies are garbage nowadays. I grew up with Charleton Heston telling Pharoah to let his people go, Victor Mature smiting the Philistines with the jawbone of an ass, Liz Taylor trying to out-maneuver Mark Antony, and George C. Scott kicking Rommel's ass.

Up to 10 years ago we took my mother-in-law to a movie once a month and it was torture because not only were the movies crap, but she seemed determined to select the crap of the crap (no Batman, Spiderman or reasonably decent movies like that). I liked my M-I-L and hated to see her pass, but the only good thing was no more movies.

Admittedly they dont make em like they used to...original Star Wars...Raiders...Smokey and the Bandit...Godfather....Fast Times.....but once and a while something like "A man named Otto" comes along....we thought it was pretty fantastic.

Everything is dumb now. Movies have been unexplainably 98% garbage for the past 10-15 years. Not sure I’ve been to a movie theater in 2 years. Cocaine bear actually looks good in comparison and the boys and I are definitely going to go see it.
just spend the money on cocaine instead, you and the boys have a good time.

• Haha
Reactions: EastOregonHusker
The entire Marvel series...every last "super hero" needs to just die. First several were really great, been hot garbage for a while now.
I think there's some Marvel exhaustion BUT regardless of what people think of them, like them or hate them, they're not dying yet when Wakanda Forever has racked up $860 million at the box office to date. That's a bit more than most other recent movies (excepting of course the Avatar and Top Gun sequels).

Admittedly they dont make em like they used to...original Star Wars...Raiders...Smokey and the Bandit...Godfather....Fast Times.....but once and a while something like "A man named Otto" comes along....we thought it was pretty fantastic.
Don't give them too much credit. Before it was Otto it was Ove (and that came from a book).

Stop.making people rich and throwing away your hard earned money.

They rely on poor people to keep them rich making dumb decisions financially.

Not to get OT and pull away from your thread or anything, but I can’t believe they made; and are getting away with such a movie in this day and age…seriously! When there’s “people” who are out in full force to take away M&M commercials due to them not wearing pants?” 😳

On my continued road to old fuddy duddy-dom I gotta say movies are garbage nowadays. I grew up with Charleton Heston telling Pharoah to let his people go, Victor Mature smiting the Philistines with the jawbone of an ass, Liz Taylor trying to out-maneuver Mark Antony, and George C. Scott kicking Rommel's ass.

Up to 10 years ago we took my mother-in-law to a movie once a month and it was torture because not only were the movies crap, but she seemed determined to select the crap of the crap (no Batman, Spiderman or reasonably decent movies like that). I liked my M-I-L and hated to see her pass, but the only good thing was no more movies.
It’s not you being fuddy duddy… movies do suck nowadays. Most ideas have been done already, and the tent pole movies are the same shit. I’d love to see a good movie but there aren’t any. Only movie I have chosen to see that wasn’t tied to taking my kids in the past 5 years was Top Gun Maverick… and I think the most recent Mission Impossible or the one before that.

It's a campy horror film but more campy than scary. Lot's of laughs at dumb characters. I liked it as something fresh/different. First 2/3 fun and funny but I thought the last third wasn't as funny as the first part. A hit at the box office for a lower budget film. Possibly could become a cult film down the road.
This⬆️ Not sure when I will see it or under which format, but I will see it. It deserves that much.

It’s not you being fuddy duddy… movies do suck nowadays. Most ideas have been done already, and the tent pole movies are the same shit. I’d love to see a good movie but there aren’t any. Only movie I have chosen to see that wasn’t tied to taking my kids in the past 5 years was Top Gun Maverick… and I think the most recent Mission Impossible or the one before that.
The movie business is solely about worldwide box office appeal and Blockbuster making. They lean in hard to the formulaic tried and true franchises.

They don't take enough chances with pure, good old-fashioned story telling. There are endless stories that could be retold, only better. The problem is that the populace of our Idiocracy doesn't have the mental bandwidth or patience to watch anything of substance. I'm always looking for the smart indie film to go along with the wider releases. They are out there.

Reactions: WHCSC
I don't go to very many movies, especially now with the lack of selection.

Holding out for John Wick 4.
I would agree that most movies today suck. I really enjoyed John Wick. The second one was garbage. Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't seen it....he has a bulletproof suit jacket that he uses like Superman's cape. Dumbest thing I have ever seen in ANY movie ever. The third one was pretty good, but nowhere near the original. The trailer for the 4th one looks like a video game. Move from character to character, killing them as you go. Try to remain alive. The Warriors did that much better in 1979 for probably no budget at all.

Having wrote all that, the bear movie looks pretty dumb. I have also only heard from many people that have seen it that is awesome. I heard it outdrew that new comic book movie which probably costed 100x more to make. I might go see the bear movie. I will wait for Wick4 somewhere down the road.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
The movie business is solely about worldwide box office appeal and Blockbuster making. They lean in hard to the formulaic tried and true franchises.

They don't take enough chances with pure, good old-fashioned story telling. There are endless stories that could be retold, only better. The problem is that the populace of our Idiocracy doesn't have the mental bandwidth or patience to watch anything of substance. I'm always looking for the smart indie film to go along with the wider releases. They are out there.
People have been complaining about films since some critics claimed "talkies ruined the movies". LOL, but that's OK everyone is entitled to an opinion. Some people like art films, some people like commercial films.

Government grants fund many of the international art films because they aren't profit makers and therefore don't attract investor funding.

Box Office receipts fund Hollywood films which are from businesses aiming to get a return on the bucks they invest. So they often make sequels to previous moneymakers (far less risk to the financial capital for making those sequels which reflect what the majority of people will pay to see).

And for the art film lovers, you have more opportunity than ever to see those kind of films with the streaming these days.

I gave up on most big Hollywood movies a long time ago. I invested in a couple of streaming services and do date nights watching the big screen in the basement at home with my wife. We still get out plenty for other things, just not movies anymore.

Showtime (they output A24 films) and AMC+ (carries many Sundance and IFC films) streaming services have a good selection of independent movies. Admittedly, many of the "indies" don't have the thrills and CGI of big blockbusters, and there's been some busts I can't sit through, but there are some fresh gems if you're in the mood for a drama, comedy, or thriller. I'd rather spend $25 a month to have these services than pay to see one movie a month in a theater.

Here are some good ones my wife and I've enjoyed recently:
mid90s
The Florida Project
Hereditary
Midsommar
20th Century Women
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Rust Creek
John and the Hole
The Survivalist (2015 Irish version)
Lucky (came out just before Harry Dean Stanton died a few years ago)
Moon Manor (similar vibe as Lucky)

Last edited:
I thought this had something to do with Winnie The Pooh being public domain now. We already got Blood and Honey out of it, a real treasure to be sure.

Also, as far as movies these days? Get off my lawn.

I gave up on most big Hollywood movies a long time ago. I invested in a couple of streaming services and do date nights watching the big screen in the basement at home with my wife. We still get out plenty for other things, just not movies anymore.

Showtime (they output A24 films) and AMC+ (carries many Sundance and IFC films) streaming services have a good selection of independent movies. Admittedly, many of the "indies" don't have the thrills and CGI of big blockbusters, and there's been some busts I can't sit through, but there are some fresh gems if you're in the mood for a drama, comedy, or thriller. I'd rather spend $25 a month to have these services than pay to see one movie a month in a theater.

mid90s
The Florida Project
Hereditary
Midsommar
20th Century Women
Rust Creek
John and the Hole
Midsommar had some beautiful cinematography however that was way more disturbing than I can handle. I was drunk and blown out of my gourd so that helped

Reactions: jrhuskerdad

mid90s
The Florida Project
Hereditary
Midsommar
20th Century Women
Rust Creek
John and the Hole
Midsommar was the most retarded movie I’ve ever seen. Boring as hell, and then just went bat sh!t crazy the final 20 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT