ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone recall the number of football scholarships back in the 1960's?

utrex

Walk On
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2001
My declining memory says we had close to 150 players on scholarship each year and there was no rule limiting how many could be awarded. The only limiting factor is what could your football program afford. I may be wrong on these number and please correct me if I am.

Prior to 1973, it was up to each school as there wasn't a set number. In 1972, Title IX passed and the rest is history.
  1. 1973, maximum was 105
  2. 1978, maximum was 95
  3. 1992, maximum was 85

My declining memory says we had close to 150 players on scholarship each year and there was no rule limiting how many could be awarded. The only limiting factor is what could your football program afford. I may be wrong on these number and please correct me if I am.
As many as you wanted.

the communists also got rid of the jv team, and a lot of coaches
Not many schools had a JV team. It was a great advantage for us. They were basically made up of freshmen and redshirts. I remember we played Juco's and Air Force. It gave our young guys a chance to play decent competition. The opponents were older in age.

As many as you wanted.
One thing that stimulated a national move to limit the number of scholies school could offer - Johnny Majors came in to Pittsburgh and gave out something like 200 in one year = out of that he got Tony Dorsett and great success. ........ Many schools were limited by how many their conference allowed them to give. So a small school conference might limit it too 30 on an annual basis ( helps control costs) . I believe the Big Eight, our conference, allowed 45 a year in the 60's; can't recall the whens and hows of when it varied. But as another posted; along came the title business. Bad stuff from the perspective of losing mens volleyball and some other mens sports ( to equalize - ugh ).

Prior to 1973, it was up to each school as there wasn't a set number. In 1972, Title IX passed and the rest is history.
  1. 1973, maximum was 105
  2. 1978, maximum was 95
  3. 1992, maximum was 85

That sure affected the amount of players that we could redshirt every year.

Since one of the reasons to cut scholarships was to help with costs, then with all the money in college football now vs 1992, maybe they should up the limit back to 95.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT