ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else jacked for baseball season?

Bad news already for the Huskers as closer Chad Luensmann is out for the season with TJ surgery.

Is Indiana legit? I see they are the only ranked BIG team. I know they are putting in the effort as a program.

So far every team has responded positively since turning the Moos loose. Hopefully baseball will as well

Reactions: CelticHawk
I've been underwhelmed by Erstad's tenure, but a conference championship is a noteworthy accomplishment. Hopefully the Huskers can use it as a springboard to some renewed momentum for the program.

Reactions: CelticHawk
I really hope the BIG can make strides on the national stage in baseball but at present the BIG is not a major conference

this century - 2000-2017 (18 years) a grand total of 1 BIG team has made it to Omaha - there have been a total of 144 slots in the final 8 during this time and the BIG has filled one of them

BIG baseball is akin to the sunbelt conference in football, having said that I hope Nebraska wins the conference and can begin representing the conference in a respectful manner in the tourney

Last edited:
I really hope the BIG can make strides on the national stage in baseball but at present the BIG is not a major conference

this century - 2000-2017 (18 years) a grand total of 1 BIG team has made it to Omaha - there have been a total of 144 slots in the final 8 during this time and the BIG has filled one of them

BIG baseball is akin to the sunbelt conference in football, having said that I hope Nebraska wins the conference and can begin representing the conference in a respectful manner in the tourney

I agree, but you know what the NCAA and the South do to put us at a disadvantage? Starting in Feb. Lets start later in the season, and butt it right up to the beginning of college football. We are putting in the money, but lets be real, the deck is stacked. We play baseball in the North. Just look at the pros. We just don't play it in Feb.

I agree, but you know what the NCAA and the South do to put us at a disadvantage? Starting in Feb. Lets start later in the season, and butt it right up to the beginning of college football. We are putting in the money, but lets be real, the deck is stacked. We play baseball in the North. Just look at the pros. We just don't play it in Feb.
Good thought, but it's hard to expect college baseball players to stay in school all summer when most are only on a partial scholarship and many are paying their own way entirely. Maybe something could be worked out where if they complete a full spring schedule and they're enrolled for the fall, baseball players can play college ball in the summer and do what they want on their own time - job or summer school, their choice. Otherwise I just don't see the season shifting into the summer.

Good thought, but it's hard to expect college baseball players to stay in school all summer when most are only on a partial scholarship and many are paying their own way entirely. Maybe something could be worked out where if they complete a full spring schedule and they're enrolled for the fall, baseball players can play college ball in the summer and do what they want on their own time - job or summer school, their choice. Otherwise I just don't see the season shifting into the summer.
Throw in summer wood-bat leagues, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT