ADVERTISEMENT

Another . . .

what are you going to use as a guide to determine outmatched opponents? South Dakota St beat Iowa, should I remove that loss from the list?

I set the criteria as teams in the NCAA tournament. If you want to look at it from a different perspective and show me that my criteria is flawed, I invite you to do the research.
Just saying that based on your criteria, Kansas would get credit for a win over Texas Southern, but not for a quad 1 win @ Nebraska. If that works for you fine.

Yes. I wasn't trying to make a point about the BIG vs the Big 12, just pointing out that using the tournament teams as the comparison dataset seems flawed to me because there are to many teams that are outmatched against the major conference teams.

I get it, but no one wants to look at RPI because its flawed and BPI because it is flawed. The only "metric" left is the eye test, which isn't a very objective measure.

Look at the non con records. One is 1 game under .500 against teams in the tournament and the other is 16 games under .500.

One league had one team with a losing record overall and one had 6.

One had 1 team that was more than 2 games under .500 in the league and on had 6.

So not only couldn’t the bottom of the B1G beat anyone good outside the league, they struggled against the decent teams inside the league.

Comparing the two leagues and it is night and day.
I've already posted this on here once Tuco

If Nebraska loses their games to Rutgers, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Northwestern we are 15-17/6-12, and those 7 games are no longer against losing teams. Hey by your theory we should of sacrificed our wins for the good of the conference so we could all have wins against 17-14 teams.

We are the reason our Conference sucked, because we were dominant so the conference had to suck right? It sucked so bad that Rutger beat Seton Hall... It sucked so bad that Wisconsin beat Purdue... It sucked so bad that Minnesota beat Alabama and Providence... It sucked so bad that Illinois (a team that sucked so bad they ruined our tournament hopes) also beat Missouri...

Conference perception is a bad thing... It's got the best of you

Bring it Mr. Realist

I get it, but no one wants to look at RPI because its flawed and BPI because it is flawed. The only "metric" left is the eye test, which isn't a very objective measure.
Pretty sure RPI is included in the Quadrant system I referenced above and recommended as the criteria. I think most are not against the RPI, but seem to be questioning whether a quality win in December is or should be of equal value to a quality win in February when taking into account teams that improve and others that fall apart or fall to injuries etc. Not sure how to quantify that except based on a subjective eye test.

I've already posted this on here once Tuco

If Nebraska loses their games to Rutgers, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Northwestern we are 15-17/6-12, and those 7 games are no longer against losing teams. Hey by your theory we should of sacrificed our wins for the good of the conference so we could all have wins against 17-14 teams.

We are the reason our Conference sucked, because we were dominant the conference had to suck. It sucked so bad that Rutger beat Seton Hall... It sucked so bad that Wisconsin beat Purdue... It sucked so bad that Minnesota beat Alabama and Providence... It sucked so bad that Illinois the team that sucked so bad they ruined our tournament hopes also beat Missouri...

Conference perception is a bad thing... It's got the best of you

Bring it Mr. Realist

You are simply too Huskercentric. The league sucked because in large part the top of the league dominated the bottom of the league and the bottom of the league had few wins against good teams. It has less to do with Nebraska doing well this year and more to do with Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin being horrible.

Minnesota won those games before all the suspensions, so if you want to give Nebraska a "quality win" for the Minnesota game then you need to give Alabama and Providence "quality losses" too, See how that works?

You are simply too Huskercentric. The league sucked because in large part the top of the league dominated the bottom of the league and the bottom of the league had few wins against good teams. It has less to do with Nebraska doing well this year and more to do with Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin being horrible.

Minnesota won those games before all the suspensions, so if you want to give Nebraska a "quality win" for the Minnesota game then you need to give Alabama and Providence "quality losses" too, See how that works?
We obviously didn't get a quality win out of it, did you forget where Nebraska was placed?

We obviously didn't get a quality win out of it, did you forget where Nebraska was placed?

I don't have a clue what you mean by where Nebraska was placed.

As far as the quality win goes, you don't have a clue if the committee considered that home win against a full strength Minnesota team as a quality win. Maybe they looked at the 6 point road win against an undermanned Minnesota team that was 2-8 in the 10 games before Nebraska and thought huh that game was closer than the first game against the Gophers when they were at full strength.

See I can guess at to what the committee looked at too.

The message is clear. You have NOTHING to gain playing teams that figure to be in the lower RPI quadrant in the OOC. So NU, stop playing those games. Play a Div. II team instead because that won’t count against your RPI.

Next year NU plays 2 of the 3 out of USC, TTech, and MO St. We need the games to be USC and TT. If the B1G - ACC challenge is still on, NU might draw a top-notch ACC team due to their 4th place finish (UNC perhaps?). They’ll also play Creighton. Of the remaining 9-10 OOC games, they need to load up on as many major conference teams as they can get. They need to figure out who projects to challenge for mid-major titles and fill out the schedule with them.

There is literally more risk playing rotten teams than there is playing strong teams.

I don't have a clue what you mean by where Nebraska was placed.

As far as the quality win goes, you don't have a clue if the committee considered that home win against a full strength Minnesota team as a quality win. Maybe they looked at the 6 point road win against an undermanned Minnesota team that was 2-8 in the 10 games before Nebraska and thought huh that game was closer than the first game against the Gophers when they were at full strength.

See I can guess at to what the committee looked at too.
Really... Do you need me to tie your shoes too? I'm referring to our 5 seed in the NIT

Really... Do you need me to tie your shoes too? I'm referring to our 5 seed in the NIT

Yes sorry I wasn’t connecting the two.

So in your mind, not only did the 10 member Bruce Rasmussen group conspire to leave out Nebraska, a different 7 member NIT group was also in on it?

So in your mind, not only did the 10 member Bruce Rasmussen group conspire to leave out Nebraska, a different 7 member NIT group was also in on it?
I don't think they were in on it, I think they did exactly what Tim Miles said "Slapped us in the Face" because other teams in our conference struggled to win games

I don't think they were in on it, I think they did exactly what Tim Miles said "Slapped us in the Face" because other teams in our conference struggled to win games

Wait. I thought the league was considered weak because Nebraska did win games. Now I am really confused.

What? Nice try. Using that logic Penn St gets in over Ohio St. That only applies when the teams are close, as a deciding factor.

Nebraska is out, Oklahoma is in. And if the roles were reversed you would be on here justifying Nebraska's November and December victories as the reason they were in.
You must not reead my posts very well.

C'mon. If you truly believe that, supply a list of all of the teams that didn't win a game after December and still got in....
The criteria is quantaum 1 wins or whatever.
They dont care if you tank the last 15 games like OU.
If losses do not matter, and they simply are looking at wins, and time of year does not matter, then a team with 6 quantum 1-2 wins could get in.

Heck, if you think about it, Nebraska almost missed the NIT too. All of the 7 & 8 seeds, 3 of the 6 seeds and a 3 seed were all automatic qualifiers. So, the 5 seeds and 1 six seed were the last ones in the NIT.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Out of league records

Michigan St 13-2 and 1-1 against teams in the tournament (UNC - Duke)
Purdue 13-3 and 2-1 (Butler and Arizona - Tennessee)
Ohio St 9-5 and 0-4 (Gonzaga, Clemson, Butler, UNC)
Michigan 15-2 and 1-1 (Texas - UNC)
Nebraska 9-5 and 0-2 (Creighton and Kansas)
Penn St 12-4 and 0-2 (Texas A&M and NC State)
Indiana 7-6 and 0-2 (Seton Hall and Duke)
Maryland 11-3 and 2-2 (Bucknell and Butler - Syracuse and St Bonaventure
Wisconsin 8-7 and 0-3 (Xavier, Virginia and UCLA)
Northwestern 9-5 and 0-3(Creighton, Texas Tech and Oklahoma)
Minnesota 11-3 and 2-1 (Providence and Alabama - Miami)
Illinois 10-4 and 1-1 (Missouri - New Mexico St)
Iowa 10-5 and 0-2 (South Dakota St and Virginia Tech)
Rutgers 12-4 and 1-1 (Seton Hall - Florida St)

The Big Ten won plenty of games in the non conference. They just didn't win against good teams. 10-26 against teams in the tournament.

When you go into the conference season with only 10 "quality wins" as a league, you simply cannot expect the conference season to mean much.

How many losses were on the road? How many nutreal sites? If you take take a snap shot lets look at all of the evidence. You may still be correct, but i would find the evidence useful.

Thank you

@Bscrawf1

Out of league records

Michigan St 13-2 and 1-1 against teams in the tournament (UNC - Duke) both neutral site
Purdue 13-3 and 2-1 (Butler and Arizona - Tennessee) road - Neutral, Neutral
Ohio St 9-5 and 0-4 (Gonzaga, Clemson, Butler, UNC) Neutral, home, Neutral, Neutral
Michigan 15-2 and 1-1 (Texas - UNC) road, road
Nebraska 9-5 and 0-2 (Creighton and Kansas) road, home
Penn St 12-4 and 0-2 (Texas A&M and NC State) neutral road
Indiana 7-6 and 0-2 (Seton Hall and Duke) road, home
Maryland 11-3 and 2-2 (Bucknell and Butler - Syracuse and St Bonaventure)home, home neutral, neutral
Wisconsin 8-7 and 0-3 (Xavier, Virginia and UCLA)home, road, neutral
Northwestern 9-5 and 0-3(Creighton, Texas Tech and Oklahoma)home, neutral, road
Minnesota 11-3 and 2-1 (Providence and Alabama - Miami) road, neutral, home
Illinois 10-4 and 1-1 (Missouri - New Mexico St) neutral, neutral
Iowa 10-5 and 0-2 (South Dakota St and Virginia Tech) neutral, road
Rutgers 12-4 and 1-1 (Seton Hall - Florida St)home, home

if my math is correct -
home 3-7
road 3-7
neutral 4-12

Last edited:
@Bscrawf1

Out of league records

Michigan St 13-2 and 1-1 against teams in the tournament (UNC - Duke) both neutral site
Purdue 13-3 and 2-1 (Butler and Arizona - Tennessee) road - Neutral, Neutral
Ohio St 9-5 and 0-4 (Gonzaga, Clemson, Butler, UNC) Neutral, home, Neutral, Neutral
Michigan 15-2 and 1-1 (Texas - UNC) road, road
Nebraska 9-5 and 0-2 (Creighton and Kansas) road, home
Penn St 12-4 and 0-2 (Texas A&M and NC State) neutral road
Indiana 7-6 and 0-2 (Seton Hall and Duke) road, home
Maryland 11-3 and 2-2 (Bucknell and Butler - Syracuse and St Bonaventure)home, home neutral, neutral
Wisconsin 8-7 and 0-3 (Xavier, Virginia and UCLA)home, road, neutral
Northwestern 9-5 and 0-3(Creighton, Texas Tech and Oklahoma)home, neutral, road
Minnesota 11-3 and 2-1 (Providence and Alabama - Miami) road, neutral, home
Illinois 10-4 and 1-1 (Missouri - New Mexico St) neutral, neutral
Iowa 10-5 and 0-2 (South Dakota St and Virginia Tech) neutral, road
Rutgers 12-4 and 1-1 (Seton Hall - Florida St)home, home

if my math is correct -
home 3-7
road 3-7
neutral 4-12

Boy not very good.... Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT