ADVERTISEMENT

Another SSO Breakdown...

I kind of get his point. Last year Frost told us how the S&C guys he was bringing in could be attributed to the zero soft-tissue injuries they suffered during the season. Now that they are here, we suddenly suffer a huge spike in soft-tissue injuries. So...what is that attributed to? I remember one point during the middle of the season, we seemingly had half our two-deep on defense on the shelf or playing hurt. That was a bit alarming. Hopefully it's just an acclimitization thing that can eventually be fixed with increased depth and adaptation to the new lifting regimen.

The ROM thing is another interesting point as many of the Twitter squats we saw last offseason seemed to be half squats or performed just above parallel. The science says going to parallel is the safest in terms of the stress put on all the ligaments. The science also says doing half squats can increase 1RM and sports performance. In practice, the half squats are usually done near peak, not necessarily plateau. So you have a sprint or jumping competition and a few weeks out you go supramaximal on the squats at half ROM to simulate the jumping ROM. I have only heard of half squats being accessory lifts, not the primary mover in terms of training.
We had an increase in soft tissue injuries? I don’t recall having the hamstring and groin injuries this year we’ve had in the past.

I kind of get his point. Last year Frost told us how the S&C guys he was bringing in could be attributed to the zero soft-tissue injuries they suffered during the season. Now that they are here, we suddenly suffer a huge spike in soft-tissue injuries. So...what is that attributed to? I remember one point during the middle of the season, we seemingly had half our two-deep on defense on the shelf or playing hurt. That was a bit alarming. Hopefully it's just an acclimitization thing that can eventually be fixed with increased depth and adaptation to the new lifting regimen.

The ROM thing is another interesting point as many of the Twitter squats we saw last offseason seemed to be half squats or performed just above parallel. The science says going to parallel is the safest in terms of the stress put on all the ligaments. The science also says doing half squats can increase 1RM and sports performance. In practice, the half squats are usually done near peak, not necessarily plateau. So you have a sprint or jumping competition and a few weeks out you go supramaximal on the squats at half ROM to simulate the jumping ROM. I have only heard of half squats being accessory lifts, not the primary mover in terms of training.

You will have to define plateau and peak as you see it. Half squats, quarter squats are not a main lift and should be used in my opinion. You shouldn't tweet it as a lift

I don't do a half squat when I'm normally gaining increases because it is an unnecessary lift when I'm already becoming stronger.

I would think most of these guys lift anywhere from 70% or probably more of their 1rep max. Peak? That's a bodybuilding term.

You will have to define plateau and peak as you see it. Half squats, quarter squats are not a main lift and should be used in my opinion. You shouldn't tweet it as a lift

I don't do a half squat when I'm normally gaining increases because it is an unnecessary lift when I'm already becoming stronger.

I would think most of these guys lift anywhere from 70% or probably more of their 1rep max. Peak? That's a bodybuilding term.

Peak as in peak-performance. So as I said, you have a 100m sprint competition or high jump competition coming up. Or if you're a powerlifter/weightlifter with a meet coming up. It's business as normal up until a few weeks out when you want to make that last extra push. Plateau is more of a sticking point to me. Something resulting from a deficiency in technique or a lagging body part affecting your lift. People can plateau for years before breaking through. You could of course attempt to overload the weight as means to break through this sticking point.

Reactions: red scowl
Peak as in peak-performance. So as I said, you have a 100m sprint competition or high jump competition coming up. Or if you're a powerlifter/weightlifter with a meet coming up. It's business as normal up until a few weeks out when you want to make that last extra push. Plateau is more of a sticking point to me. Something resulting from a deficiency in technique or a lagging body part affecting your lift. People can plateau for years before breaking through. You could of course attempt to overload the weight as means to break through this sticking point.

I agree with everything you typed.

I'm not worried that much about the safety position. Addition by subtraction if you ask me. We no longer have guys who are FCS level athletes or guys who constantly make boneheaded plays. Deontai Williams has a ton of upside and think he already has one of the spots locked up. As far as the other spot, Dismuke has some upside as well and there's a lot of young guys with a lot of talent.

I'm more worried about the defensive line. Now that Fair no longer seems to have a spot, depth at the NT spot looks pretty thin. I don't know if Damien Daniels will be an every down type of player and Darrien looks a little small for a NT. If either of the Davis twins has to play NT, we're in trouble. We saw what happened when Stoltenberg got injured, the whole defensive line got abused.

I think our defense can improve a lot next year. However that assumes there is no regression and there aren't any injuries to key spots. Over the last few years, it's appeared some of the starters on our defense have gotten worse instead of better. That can't happen and if we suffer some injuries during fall camp, I don't think we'll be much better than we were this year.

Biggest difference here is Frost and not Mike Riley. Riley for some reason could get things improving. It was quite literally falling apart instead. I filully believe Frost and his staff will get the the most out of our players.

I'm not worried that much about the safety position. Addition by subtraction if you ask me. We no longer have guys who are FCS level athletes or guys who constantly make boneheaded plays. Deontai Williams has a ton of upside and think he already has one of the spots locked up. As far as the other spot, Dismuke has some upside as well and there's a lot of young guys with a lot of talent.

I'm more worried about the defensive line. Now that Fair no longer seems to have a spot, depth at the NT spot looks pretty thin. I don't know if Damien Daniels will be an every down type of player and Darrien looks a little small for a NT. If either of the Davis twins has to play NT, we're in trouble. We saw what happened when Stoltenberg got injured, the whole defensive line got abused.

I think our defense can improve a lot next year. However that assumes there is no regression and there aren't any injuries to key spots. Over the last few years, it's appeared some of the starters on our defense have gotten worse instead of better. That can't happen and if we suffer some injuries during fall camp, I don't think we'll be much better than we were this year.

On the defensive line, we have to trust Frost here. If he pulled Fairs offer like it sounds, then he and our position coach must like what they see and have. If Frost is happy, then so am I. I’m honestly not that worried about our dline. Now a pass rushing OLB is something we need to keep working on. That’s how we will get our sacks and QB hurries in the 3-4. Remember we are not running the 4-3. Are biggest concern was CB and ILB depth on defense, we got help coming and need to keep working those areas.

Any chance Bradley will change positions?
Apparently nobody has any idea why SSO would suggest that Bradley is a "flight risk" after being "unavailable" this past season. That tells me he was either ineligible or suspended. We would have heard something if he would have had a season ending injury.

Apparently nobody has any idea why SSO would suggest that Bradley is a "flight risk" after being "unavailable" this past season. That tells me he was either ineligible or suspended. We would have heard something if he would have had a season ending injury.
I have no inside knowledge of what is going on there, but Bradley is a naturally gifted runner. I haven't seen him run like his HS film and attributed that to getting adjusted to the college game. I'm expecting to see how things look with him in the spring game. I figure we are losing 3-4 older backs, so next spring is going to be a chance for him to do something.

We had an increase in soft tissue injuries? I don’t recall having the hamstring and groin injuries this year we’ve had in the past.

Totally agree. Do we not remember the year where we had like 3 WRs left for spring ball due to pulled hamstrings and groins? We used to fill the entire sideline with pulled muscles. Did we even have any muscle pulls this year?

I have no inside knowledge of what is going on there, but Bradley is a naturally gifted runner. I haven't seen him run like his HS film and attributed that to getting adjusted to the college game. I'm expecting to see how things look with him in the spring game. I figure we are losing 3-4 older backs, so next spring is going to be a chance for him to do something.
Not questioning his talent. Questioning why SSO would say that he was "unavailable" this year. We certainly could have used him those last couple of games so something was up with him.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
At RB I’m not very concerned, Maurice Washington is one of those very rare talents the don’t come around to often. There was a lot of you guys sooo worried because he was 175-185 pounds and “COULD NOT” take a BIG10 beating. I think he did very well as a true freshman and with very little to no D1 S&C before the season. This next season he should only get faster, stronger, a little heavier and make being cuts, runs and decision making. He should make a great 1 RB for us (this is my early guess, he will be our main RB).

But I’ll admit he will need a co starter to give a one/two punch. Someone will have to step up there. Mills is ideal, as he is a 220 plus pound back with D1 experience and a successful Juco career but if not him, we do have some options. Can’t remember on this subject but will Tre Bryant play next year or is he done, for good?? If he’s back and healthy, he’d make for a great one/two punch with Washington.

At RB I’m not very concerned, Maurice Washington is one of those very rare talents the don’t come around to often. There was a lot of you guys sooo worried because he was 175-185 pounds and “COULD NOT” take a BIG10 beating. I think he did very well as a true freshman and with very little to no D1 S&C before the season. This next season he should only get faster, stronger, a little heavier and make being cuts, runs and decision making. He should make a great 1 RB for us (this is my early guess, he will be our main RB).

But I’ll admit he will need a co starter to give a one/two punch. Someone will have to step up there. Mills is ideal, as he is a 220 plus pound back with D1 experience and a successful Juco career but if not him, we do have some options. Can’t remember on this subject but will Tre Bryant play next year or is he done, for good?? If he’s back and healthy, he’d make for a great one/two punch with Washington.

Bryant is retired.

The two things that stuck out to me in the resulting comments of his post were the number of season ending injuries we've had and the resulting changes in S&C as well as the number of off-the-field kinds of issues that seem to be plaguing some of the newer players and stopping them from contributing.

Thought it was stated somewhere that he had some stuff happen in his personal life that caused him to lose focus and was behind because of that. Also thought he was a little dinged up also hindering him. Let’s see if he has refocused this spring.

Well he really couldn't take the beating. Washington got beat up every game and by the end of the year was injured all the time. I don't think Washington was in division I shape to start the year, and if we had other options, it would have been good for him to get a redshirt year. A year of conditioning will help a lot, and I expect him to be the starter next year.

I don't think you need a 220 lb back to be able to take the majority of snaps. Ameer Abdullah was only 195 lbs I believe and he was able to shoulder most of the load. We have Miles Jones and potentially Wandale Robinson getting a lot of snaps as running backs. And one of the freshman running backs coming in could also step up and be major contributors. If Mills for some reason doesn't work out, I don't see any problem with having a committee of smaller backs, though it would still be nice to have a bigger back in certain situations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT