ADVERTISEMENT

Another list of the top WR corps has NU 10th

Thus the disclaimer. But it couldn't be any less credible than the top 15 list previously posted.

You understand it's the off season and we have "new" members that are posting these fluff threads. I'm not sure why, but I've noticed more than one poster. You are a regular, but the Bleacher Report is just click-bait garbage. Thus the eyeroll. :D

North Texas and Buffalo? Riiiiight.

When I saw North Texas, I thought he was throwing in a token non-P5 school just to make his research appear more credible. Then I saw Buffalo.

Admittedly, I couldn't name a player on either squad until I read his article. But I still concur with "riiiiight."

Last edited:
You understand it's the off season and we have "new" members that are posting these fluff threads. I'm not sure why, but I've noticed more than one poster. You are a regular, but the Bleacher Report is just click-bait garbage. Thus the eyeroll. :D

Oh I know. I've witnessed the cesspool that is off-season posting since the Callahan days. BR is bad but so are so many others. Save for a few pundits like Phil Steele that (over-)analyze all the FBS teams, these lists are purely dart throws. And even his ilk misses on quite a few.

Mostly, I found it funny that another top 15 list excluded us (from a source no one had heard of), thus spurring a discussion as to why NU was being "dissed" and a tweet from Walters to our receivers. Then this one comes along and we're "back" in top 10. It's from a shit source, but NU fans tend to embrace and lend credibility to anyone that shows us love.

In conclusion: off-season lists and rankings suck, unless they favor NU, then they're beyond reproach. Smokin

For those that don't want to be baited, here's what he had to say about NU...

The Star: Stanley Morgan Jr. (61 REC, 986 YDS, 10 TD)

Morgan had a couple of good-not-great seasons while battling Jordan Westerkamp, Brandon Reilly and Alonzo Moore for positioning on Nebraska's depth chart in 2015 and 2016. All three of those guys ran out of eligibility in 2016, though, finally leaving Morgan to become the go-to guy. He didn't disappoint, eclipsing 90 receiving yards seven times, including a 185-yard, two-touchdown performance late in the year against Penn State.

Other Key Contributors: JD Spielman (WR), Tyjon Lindsey (WR)

There are only two returning players in the Big Ten who had at least 800 receiving yards last year: Morgan and Spielman (830). Broadening the scope to include every conference, Nebraska and West Virginia are the only FBS teams with multiple returnees who accounted for at least 825 receiving yards in 2017. Despite the gigantic question mark at quarterback, that nugget of information was enough for the Cornhuskers to land on the list.

Watch out for Lindsey, too. He only made 12 receptions as a true freshman, but he was the No. 50 overall recruit in the 247 Sports 2017 composite rankings.

The Quarterback: Adrian Martinez (true freshman) or Tristan Gebbia (redshirt freshman)

The big question facing Scott Frost in his first season as Nebraska's head coach is: Pro style or dual threat? If he wants to stick with a McKenzie Milton type of quarterback who can do plenty of damage with his legs, Martinez is the clear choice. Either way, this arsenal of great receiving options will be at the mercy of a QB who has yet to play a collegiate game. That makes it difficult to gauge the ceiling for this receiving corps, but it's worth noting that both QB options were highly rated out of high school. It wouldn't be a surprise if this is a timeshare situation.

Reactions: saluno22
good receivers don't drop every 5th pass thrown to them. Prove it in 2018. Until then, they are slightly above average. as a whole, they are between 4th and 7th in the big ten. If they want more recognition, show me the money.

good receivers don't drop every 5th pass thrown to them. Prove it in 2018. Until then, they are slightly above average. as a whole, they are between 4th and 7th in the big ten. If they want more recognition, show me the money.
Well ok I can see the job for Vedral this fall will be to throw the fifth pass to each receiver on the sideline. Heck in future years maybe use a walkon QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT