ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Rodriguez

He doesn't have a college degree?
You can make a damned nice living and have a good life working for a farmer depending on your work ethic. I know of lots of jobs in agriculture that pay salaries and benefits similar to what a college graduate might expect.

Reactions: Bold Words
Last year he was a seed DSM for Syngenta seeds central Neb. With covid and no contact allowed it would be hard to build business.

Reactions: drubendall
Being a friend or a farmer are two different things.
Classic...now we have a farmer bitching about people that made fun of farmers. Don't you have a field to not grow things on while getting a check?

(Relax, I was just goofing, sort of)

Things you will never hear a farmer saying...

Things are going good.
Got a lot of free time.
Money is good.

Things that are true about farming.

Things are you usually going good
Got a lot of free time
Money is good.
I don't think you have any idea what farming is like. I'm just a semi-retired person with a hobby farm and I put in over 50 hours per week each and every week. The real farmers in my area right now are running in most cases on less than 6 hours of sleep every single day of the week. Up before the sun and work until until you can't keep your eyes open. Yes there are times of the year where thing s are less intense but especially for anybody with livestock, it's lots of long hours and uncertainty of income. Add in self employment tax and having to buy private health insurance and there isn't much gravy on the potatoes.

As far as your "never saying things are going good" comment, some people in all walks of life are like that. I really don't know many farmers who are. They're sometimes pretty honest about their lives and frankly the past year or more has been a bitch. WAY too wet last year. Grain prices were in the crapper. Very dry this year. Pastures are done a month or more earlier than normal due to drought. Cow-calf operators are having to feed pairs on pasture in our area. Cattle market tanked then you couldn't take them to slaughter because of COVID. Hog farmers were shooting pigs because they couldn't get fats slaughtered. Man you HAVE to be an optimist to operate a farm.

That’s a big change and hopefully for the better, imo he was never developed properly under bozo

It may not have made much of a difference. I’m a close friend of his high school teammate from Aurora. Andrew was a lot more into his faith than he was football. Doing mission trips and stuff. He also lacked the nastiness on the field. I was told he would probably be a relative bust before he got to Nebraska. He’s a good dude, though. Last time I talked to him he was doing very well.

I don't think you have any idea what farming is like. I'm just a semi-retired person with a hobby farm and I put in over 50 hours per week each and every week. The real farmers in my area right now are running in most cases on less than 6 hours of sleep every single day of the week. Up before the sun and work until until you can't keep your eyes open. Yes there are times of the year where thing s are less intense but especially for anybody with livestock, it's lots of long hours and uncertainty of income. Add in self employment tax and having to buy private health insurance and there isn't much gravy on the potatoes.

As far as your "never saying things are going good" comment, some people in all walks of life are like that. I really don't know many farmers who are. They're sometimes pretty honest about their lives and frankly the past year or more has been a bitch. WAY too wet last year. Grain prices were in the crapper. Very dry this year. Pastures are done a month or more earlier than normal due to drought. Cow-calf operators are having to feed pairs on pasture in our area. Cattle market tanked then you couldn't take them to slaughter because of COVID. Hog farmers were shooting pigs because they couldn't get fats slaughtered. Man you HAVE to be an optimist to operate a farm.
I went back to my hometown a couple of weeks ago to help my folks & brother with harvest. I didn't put in anything less than a 12 hour day for 6-days straight and that was non-stop work other than a 20-30 min lunch break. I know my dad was putting in 14-16 hours while I was home. Everything is bought & paid for so it's not like he's working to pay off debt, that's just the lifestyle & what needs to be done.

My father-in-law has livestock so there's no "winter break".

Farmers will acknowledge when things are good, but they know it never lasts and they'll lose money or break even 2-3 years in a row. Plus when things are going good they know they'll have to upgrade equipment and buy a $250,000 piece of equipment. Yes they're investing, but it's not like they just sit on a pile of cash.

I don't know of a farmer that "has a lot of free time" from April - October (especially if they have livestock too) unless they have hired men to operate everything.

For all the risk and hard work farming takes, they deserve an easy time or two, and the profit from doing it. I do not get the current backlash against farmers, when somebody mentions the gov't subsidies then I want to hear them denounce all the foreign aid we give to countries that hate us and we get nothing back from, etc, etc.

For all the risk and hard work farming takes, they deserve an easy time or two, and the profit from doing it. I do not get the current backlash against farmers, when somebody mentions the gov't subsidies then I want to hear them denounce all the foreign aid we give to countries that hate us and we get nothing back from, etc, etc.
I dont think its that. Its just acknowledge when its not that bad. It's like teachers (at least for LPS). They ALL act like they are the most overworked underpaid put upon people in existence.
Its the constant bitching, woe is us stuff. Garbage men bust their ass too. But I dont hear about it all the time.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I dont think its that. Its just acknowledge when its not that bad. It's like teachers (at least for LPS). They ALL act like they are the most overworked underpaid put upon people in existence.
Its the constant bitching, woe is us stuff. Garbage men bust their ass too. But I dont hear about it all the time.

Maybe if somebody could explain the large financial risk garbage men take I would understand this analogy a little better. Or the huge financial layout for a large piece of equipment, for a product that might be selling for pennies over what it sold for years ago while costs skyrocket to make said product.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I am a teacher, we are probably the biggest bitchers in the world about how many extra hours we put in and how many emotional issues we deal with each day and how our job never ends and summers off are not really summers off because we are always doing stuff for school...and blah blah blah...

Now, the real complainers are the K-5 female teachers, my god, little johnny is not conducting brain surgery tomorrow, it is okay if you don't grade his drawing of his house right this second. Also, just because Timmy pushed a girl at recess it doesn't mean he is a violent sexual predator and you don't need to call home and set up a meeting with mom and dad.

I tell every first year teacher (once I get a read on them) the same exact thing, make it easy for you. If you are grading papers every night for 5 hours, you are doing it wrong.

The only two other professions that come close to the bitching that teachers do...

Farmer

Firemen (These guys might be the worst, considering the crazy jack they get paid to wash their 70K Ford F-250, go on grocery runs with the boys on our dime, lift weights and watch sports all day, yes, I am jealous!) and firemen really don't bitch about their job so much as they seem to almost demand a hero worship.

So to recap...

Lamest/Biggest complainers in order

1. Teachers (we suck)
2. Farmers
3. Firemen

Maybe if somebody could explain the large financial risk garbage men take I would understand this analogy a little better. Or the huge financial layout for a large piece of equipment, for a product that might be selling for pennies over what it sold for years ago while costs skyrocket to make said product.
It wasnt an analogy. And I have nothing against farmers. Just people whining and bitching about their job/career being tougher/lower paying than everyone else's.

I denounce all the aid we give to other countries. Happily denounce it.

I am a teacher, we are probably the biggest bitchers in the world about how many extra hours we put in and how many emotional issues we deal with each day and how our job never ends and summers off are not really summers off because we are always doing stuff for school...and blah blah blah...

Now, the real complainers are the K-5 female teachers, my god, little johnny is not conducting brain surgery tomorrow, it is okay if you don't grade his drawing of his house right this second. Also, just because Timmy pushed a girl at recess it doesn't mean he is a violent sexual predator and you don't need to call home and set up a meeting with mom and dad.

The only two other professions that come close to the bitching that teachers do...

Farmer

Firemen (These guys might be the worst, considering the crazy jack they get paid to wash their 70K Ford F-250, go on grocery runs with the boys on our dime, lift weights and watch sports all day, yes, I am jealous!) and firemen really don't bitch about their job so much as they seem to almost demand a hero worship.

So to recap...

1. Teachers (we suck)
2. Farmers
3. Firemen
Glad you said it about firemen. Again respect what they do for us, but you are SPOT on about the 70k trucks. I used to do service work for LFD. And seemingly EVERY fire station parking lot was full of 50+K trucks.

Glad you said it about firemen. Again respect what they do for us, but you are SPOT on about the 70k trucks. I used to do service work for LFD. And seemingly EVERY fire station parking lot was full of 50+K trucks.

Right? Also...if you have two full time jobs, one of your jobs is not a full time job. Firemen and their side businesses..

Again, with that said, had I know when I was 19 that I could be a fireman, make crazy jack, lift, watch sports, work like 3 days a week, be hero worshipped (I knew that part) AND retire with a sick pension after like 20 years, I would have been all about that life.

Reactions: Bauer2119

I tell every first year teacher (once I get a read on them) the same exact thing, make it easy for you. If you are grading papers every night for 5 hours, you are doing it wrong.

Farmer

So to recap...

1. Teachers (we suck)
2. Farmers
3. Firemen

@sparky62 Care to comment on your F-250?

Farmer

So to recap...

1. Teachers (we suck)
2. Farmers
3. Firemen

Funny, if you were to ask me for a list of professions I have the most respect for those three would probably all be near the top. To each his own, I guess.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
And I have had countless firemen on my coaching staffs...They LOVE to laugh about how sweet the gig is.

They also love to drink :)

If I owned 2k or more acres I'd just rent it out, operate a glorified garden, then go get the most laid back job with good health insurance and call it a day.
The problem with renting it out is that you give up income. IF you have the time to do it, you can potentially generate an additional $1-300/acre net income/year by farming it yourself. The problem is that 4 out of 5 years you normally don't make much. What you hope for is that one really good year out of 5. Crop insurance has mitigated some of the risk for farmers and reduced the need for federal bail outs of crop farmers. Livestock producers aren't so lucky. The old saying is that IF you're a cattle feeder you either die rich or broke.

The problem with renting it out is that you give up income. IF you have the time to do it, you can potentially generate an additional $1-300/acre net income/year by farming it yourself. The problem is that 4 out of 5 years you normally don't make much. What you hope for is that one really good year out of 5. Crop insurance has mitigated some of the risk for farmers and reduced the need for federal bail outs of crop farmers. Livestock producers aren't so lucky. The old saying is that IF you're a cattle feeder you either die rich or broke.

Yeah if you've got dirt running through your veins I could see operating it yourself. However I've got bad bad bad seasonal allergies. I grew up on a farm raising cattle, corn, milo(sp), and a large vegetable garden, and I love gardening so I know what it feels like to love to work the land.

We used dogs to drive our cattle from field to field because we didn't raise a lot of them and we lived in eastern Nebraska when I was young, grass is much thicker there. That was fun with the dogs. We would stay on the edges of the fields and the dogs would work the center. Good times.

I think you have to be born into a farming family, it is difficult to explain look at the dairy farmers anyway the smaller ones there married to it. My great grandfather was a farmer, grandpa, dad, myself, now have a nephew takIng ag in college. He’ll Nebraska doesn’t need to legalize gambling just start farming

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT