ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing Iowa defense stat

PCastro

Sophomore
Jul 20, 2019
Iowa has held EIGHT of their opponents to that opponents lowest scoring output for their entire year. Wisconsin's 24 against them barely outpaced Wiscy's low by 1 point, Miami(OH) 14 and Purdue 20 scored more than some crappy other games they had. Wiscy 24 was the most against them all year. Points will be a definite struggle in this game.

Reactions: samuel
So your saying Nebraska is going to be the team that puts the most points up on Iowa?

but lets be honest? Iowa hasn’t faced really dominant offenses either. Caught Minnesota at the best time.

also, I don’t see any offenses on Iowa schedule that is anything like ours. Penn state is the closest thing you’ve seen to a Mobile QB and Clifford really isn’t that mobile.

will be interesting to see if Iowa can keep everything inside on us. If they do, it will probably be a good game for Iowa. If they don’t, OH boy. If things could get interesting

Last edited:
Iowa has held EIGHT of their opponents to that opponents lowest scoring output for their entire year. Wisconsin's 24 against them barely outpaced Wiscy's low by 1 point, Miami(OH) 14 and Purdue 20 scored more than some crappy other games they had. Wiscy 24 was the most against them all year. Points will be a definite struggle in this game.

Ohio State scored a 38-7 win hosting Wisconsin this season.

Iowa has done a good job in scoring defense in 2019.

Illinois should have beaten io_a

Illinois should have beaten io_a

Spelling Iowa that way for starters is ripping off Northwestern, and secondly ironic since we have almost every W against you guys for quite awhile now. Not that anything you guys say is original anyway. The only insult you can give is trophy case, which is great if you're into antiques i guess

Spelling Iowa that way for starters is ripping off Northwestern, and secondly ironic since we have almost every W against you guys for quite awhile now. Not that anything you guys say is original anyway. The only insult you can give is trophy case, which is great if you're into antiques i guess
No. That’s not the only insult. There are many

OP also believes Iowa football is currently and historically amazing overall, so his understanding of the word amazing is suspect.
The Hawkeyes aren't an amazing football team but they are a few scores from being 11-0 or 5-6. An inconsistent/average offense that has it's moments and a very good defense that may give up a lot of yards but very few TDs. The Iowa defense has only allowed 4 rushing touchdowns in the past 11 games. Most rational Hawkeyes anticipate a close, low scoring game this Friday.

The Hawkeyes aren't an amazing football team but they are a few scores from being 11-0 or 5-6. An inconsistent/average offense that has it's moments and a very good defense that may give up a lot of yards but very few TDs. The Iowa defense has only allowed 4 rushing touchdowns in the past 11 games. Most rational Hawkeyes anticipate a close, low scoring game this Friday.

I would say inconsistent offense that is trending better under OC Brian Ferentz, then most Kirk Ferentz offenses over 21 years.

The outlier is the inconsistency in running game.

Iowa's best running back left for the NFL after 2008 season.

The 2015 Iowa offense was very much like the 2019 Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The question with the 2018 and 2019 defense for Iowa is against the run?

We don’t need to insult you little buddy. God already did, by letting you be born a cuckeye fan.

giphy.gif

Iowa has a great scoring defense. They really lock teams down in the red zone.

Also a big part of that statistic for Iowa is that their offense, while hardly explosive, chews up a lot of clock, leaving the defense well rested and limiting the opposing offense's number of scoring opportunities

So your saying Nebraska is going to be the team that puts the most points up on Iowa?

but lets be honest? Iowa hasn’t faced really dominant offenses either. Caught Minnesota at the best time.

also, I don’t see any offenses on Iowa schedule that is anything like ours. Penn state is the closest thing you’ve seen to a Mobile QB and Clifford really isn’t that mobile.

will be interesting to see if Iowa can keep everything inside on us. If they do, it will probably be a good game for Iowa. If they don’t, OH boy. If things could get interesting

Nebraska is not a dominant offense if that is what you were trying to infer. Beating a broken Maryland team by any score is not an actual accomplishment.

SOOOOOOOOO much irony. Thanks for ther laugh.

Why do Iowa fans start post here and then communicate with eachother on it?

a) are they too stupid to realize that this isn’t the Iowa message board?
b) they got lost and can’t find their way home?
c) the can no longer stand the smell of Iowa
d) who the hell can make sense of what logic processes in a Hawkeyes mind

Hawkeye report is the Nebraska board East year round so I imagine it easy to confuse the two.

Reactions: Tim Dodge Rules
Does your boyfriend think you are this stupid?

Iowa has a great scoring defense. They really lock teams down in the red zone.

Also a big part of that statistic for Iowa is that their offense, while hardly explosive, chews up a lot of clock, leaving the defense well rested and limiting the opposing offense's number of scoring opportunities
Iowa has the same problem Nebraska has had. Gain a lot of yards between the 20’s but are almost allergic to the end zone. Will the best FG kicker win? Will FGs really even be an option with the weather? I plan on hammering the under 48.5 when it comes out on my app.

Iowa has the same problem Nebraska has had. Gain a lot of yards between the 20’s but are almost allergic to the end zone. Will the best FG kicker win? Will FGs really even be an option with the weather? I plan on hammering the under 48.5 when it comes out on my app.

I feel like this game is going to be all about the start. Not ground breaking analysis, but if NU comes out firing and scores early and gets a stop or 2 it is going to be a game I like NU in. If Iowa and their anemic run game come out and establish it early and pound in a 75 yard drive or two, I think Iowa wins big. NU has to get some confidence early to win this game.

I feel like this game is going to be all about the start. Not ground breaking analysis, but if NU comes out firing and scores early and gets a stop or 2 it is going to be a game I like NU in. If Iowa and their anemic run game come out and establish it early and pound in a 75 yard drive or two, I think Iowa wins big. NU has to get some confidence early to win this game.
Agreed!!

Credit to @Cornicator for some fine stat work on RSS:

Taking away the Rutgers game, Iowa's offensive stats on the year:

- 17.9 ppg
- 11 total touchdowns scored (only Northwestern at 10 has fewer)
- 82.7 rush yards per game (worst in the league in conference play)
- 2.64 yards per carry (over a full season, would rank last among Power 5 teams and second to last in FBS)
- 4 rushing touchdowns on the season
- 321 yards per game of total offense
- 16.7 first downs per game

Iowa's strength offensive, is their passing game, but if you remove the Rutgers game, the passing numbers:

- 51.0% completion percentage
- 238 yards per game
- 6 TDs
- 6 INTs

Nebraska needs to be solid against the run and not allow Iowa to get big chunk plays in the passing / play-action passing game. That's where the Hawkeyes kill teams getting down the field and kicking tons of field goals.

did you post it or was it someone else ???
It was someone else. I was just skimming their games and was surprised at the low scores so looked that info up. Oddly someone else had too apparently . Points will be a premium. special teams needs to be on this week

*I

I say e). Guy that invites himself to get together as where nobody else wants them. And THEY stink!

- 17.9 ppg
- 2.64 yards per carry (over a full season, would rank last among Power 5 teams and second to last in FBS)

Iowa's strength offensive, is their passing game, but if you remove the Rutgers game, the passing numbers:

- 238 yards per game
- 6 TDs
- 6 INTs

Nebraska needs to be solid against the run and not allow Iowa to get big chunk plays in the passing / play-action passing game. That's where the Hawkeyes kill teams getting down the field and kicking tons of field goals.

Because you are posting Cornicator's stats, that means Iowa is going to run for about 300 and 5 TD's.

I would say inconsistent offense that is trending better under OC Brian Ferentz, then most Kirk Ferentz offenses over 21 years.

The outlier is the inconsistency in running game.

Iowa's best running back left for the NFL after 2008 season.

The 2015 Iowa offense was very much like the 2019 Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The question with the 2018 and 2019 defense for Iowa is against the run?

An inconsistent QB doesn't help an offense striving to be consistent.

- 17.9 ppg

- 238 yards per game
- 6 TDs
- 6 INTs

Granted but how much worse would your offensive stats look if you removed Maryland?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT