ADVERTISEMENT

Alcohol sales at PBA for basketball

A

anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Is it time to revisit this? I know it will be almost impossible because Pope Tom is vehemently against it.
But are we going to seriously keep believing that NOT being able to pay 10 bucks for a Jack and Coke is somehow morally superior to the 35 people left at the end of games guzzling bourbon from their own flasks?
Something tells me it may be time to rekindle any kind of new interest to get butts in the seats.

Reactions: Jimmy Frank
Is it time to revisit this? I know it will be almost impossible because Pope Tom is vehemently against it.
But are we going to seriously keep believing that NOT being able to pay 10 bucks for a Jack and Coke is somehow morally superior to the 35 people left at the end of games guzzling bourbon from their own flasks?
Something tells me it may be time to rekindle any kind of new interest to get butts in the seats.

Might have to double the amount of cops that work the games, especially if Miles is still the coach. Laughing

This is one thing that I'll agree with you when it comes to your're hatred and hard on you have towards TO.

4.6.3 are you not a follower of the Branch Osbornian Cult?
Lol. Guess not. He was a great football coach, and we were lucky to have him. Apparently that means pointing out his glaring AD flaws means I hate him.
Tiny brains make that leap. You can tell by the 2nd grade spelling and grammar.

Might be the only way to fill the arena with the implosion of the basketball program.

Limit the booze to the parking lot -- keep it out of college basketball and/or football venues. The last thing I want is a slobbering drunk next to me at the game. This is the B1G not the SEC. You don't need the money from booze sales !

and, Go Cats !!

ps -- Your former AD makes a great deal of sense on the no booze sale matter.

Last edited:
Limit the booze to the parking lot -- keep it out of college basketball and/or football venues. The last thing I want is a slobbering drunk next to me at the game. This is the B1G not the SEC. You don't need the money from booze sales !

and, Go Cats !!

ps -- Your former AD makes a great deal of sense on the no booze sale matter.
So, there arent drunks there now? Got it.

The drunks will get drunk regardless. What selling in the arena does is allow us casual fans to have a beer or 2. I literally cannot afford to get drunk at sporting events when you have to pay $9 for a can of bud light.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the university gets any revenue from concessions. That's why the rent is so low or nothing. It would still help PBAs bottom line.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
As someone who has worked sporting events inside the Century Link Center, Baxter Arena, and TD Ameritrade, where alcohol is sold, I personally think it is silly to not sell beer at PBA.

There's how many places in the Haymarket within walking distance to PBA where people can and do get loaded before the games? Are people subjected to breath tests upon entering PBA? Who has never seen someone or actually snuck a bottle into Memorial Stadium or PBA? What exactly are are those fans in the west stadium doing when they rush out the parking lot on the west side at halftime?

Like another said sbove, when you charge 8-10 bucks a beer, you have to have a lot of disposable income to get trashed at a sporting event IF IF you were stone cold sober when you showed up.

When alcohol sales are allowed it's not rocket science. ID stations, visible wrist bands, cut people off, and zero tolerance on drunken stupid behavior. Most people are responsible beer drinkers especially at those prices. Those who aren't, you make examples out of them real quick (jail, ban and bar, revoke their tickets, etc).

Last edited:
So, there arent drunks there now? Got it.

The drunks will get drunk regardless. What selling in the arena does is allow us casual fans to have a beer or 2. I literally cannot afford to get drunk at sporting events when you have to pay $9 for a can of bud light.
Yup. Small minds think people are going to go just slam drinks at 10 bucks a pop. Oh, and also you need a ticket to get in and pay 10 bucks a pop.

Reactions: Jimmy Frank
It will happen...when TO dies. I think they are just waiting for that to happen.

My question is why can a private school like Creighton sell alcohol at their off-campus arena of the CenturyLinkCenter and UNL can't at Pinnacle Bank Arena? Is the Osborne Bylaw really still holding it back? Why can't UNL—a public school—mandate it at PBA (also technically off-campus)? Makes so much sense to do it... $$$$$$

We have fans that bitch when students and fans dare try and create a home court advantage while doing a chant during the other teams intros..... I think there are plenty of hypocrites left that think drinking themselves stupid OUTSIDE of the arena is somehow superior to a person having a cocktail or 2 whilr taking in a game.

My question is why can a private school like Creighton sell alcohol at their off-campus arena of the CenturyLinkCenter and UNL can't at Pinnacle Bank Arena? Is the Osborne Bylaw really still holding it back? Why can't UNL—a public school—mandate it at PBA (also technically off-campus)? Makes so much sense to do it... $$$$$$
Creighton is a wet campus. The University of Nebraska system is dry. It's unbelievably stupid, but the bureaucrats at the NU foundation will never let it happen.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
Creighton is a wet campus. The University of Nebraska system is dry. It's unbelievably stupid, but the bureaucrats at the NU foundation will never let it happen.

To be fair, Creighton is Catholic and NU was founded by protestants. It is what it is. Not that I agree with it.

First off state law prohibits the consumption of alcohol on state property which Memorial Stadium sits on (I know they have in sky boxes), Pinnacle Bank Arena is on city of Lincoln property which is governed under different laws. That being said I do not believe NU gets any revenue from concessions so they gain nothing by allowing that to happen (at PBA), furthermore I believe that Shawn Eichorst has addressed this previously and at that time said he saw no reason to change the policy as it currently is. So no alcohol in either venue (which is fine with me).

I don't get it, we have a society drowning in substance abuse with alcohol being one major item of abuse, especially among young people on campus and some folks can't go to a basketball or football game without having a beer. TO has it correct -- no to booze in these venues.

and, Go Cats !!

The arena isn't on campus. It's owned by the city of Lincoln. Beer isn't illegal and would make extra money for the arena. I say bring it in.

I don't get it, we have a society drowning in substance abuse with alcohol being one major item of abuse, especially among young people on campus and some folks can't go to a basketball or football game without having a beer. TO has it correct -- no to booze in these venues.

and, Go Cats !!
Im not much of a drinker so I dont really care about getting a beer at a game. But thats ME. Its not my job to tell others they CANT.

You need to differentiate substance abuse with having A beer or two. As others have said, if people abuse it, boot em. They do it at the already "dry" football games.

Its similar to marijuana legalization, people imagine the worst. Allow alcohol sales and PBA is a raging kegger with people fornicating in the aisles. Weed? The whole state would be like an opium den or something out of the movies.

Do this...sell booze for one game. If during that game a big huge fight breaks out like some of you seem to think will happen...get rid of the booze.

But if nothing happens...keep selling it.

What if TO came out today and said "I think selling beer at the PBA would be a great idea, I think that Nebraska should look into it and get it started for next season"

I have no idea if you are serious so if I mistook your sarcasm I apologize

Neither venue is on campus, so it makes no difference if the campus is wet, dry or just moist.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta

and, Go Cats !!

You don't get it - the only thing you said that was correct.

Nebraska Revised Statute 53-186
  • Chapter 53 Section 186
53-186.
Consumption of liquor on public property; forbidden; exceptions; license authorized.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section or section 60-6,211.08, it shall be unlawful for any person to consume alcoholic liquor upon property owned or controlled by the state or any governmental subdivision thereof unless authorized by the governing bodies having jurisdiction over such property.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I've always heard the "can't have alcohol on State land", thing, which is true. But per the statute above, it looks to me like the Regents, as "the governing bodies having jurisdiction over such property", could allow alcohol on campus if they wanted to; much like the Game and Parks Commission did at most State parks in 2010. I realize PBA isn't on state land, so that isn't even an issue in this thread. I just find it odd that TO is often cited as the only reason alcohol isn't allowed at football games, when it's actually the Regents who have the power. There is actually a section in the Regents policies permitting alcohol at certain campus events. If the big donor$ wanted alcohol at $porting event$, it could happen.

But I expect it is the AD's office that has a big say in whether alcohol is allowed at PBA sporting events, and until they decide to push for it (or are told to push for it), it's not going to happen at PBA or Memorial Stadium.

First off state law prohibits the consumption of alcohol on state property which Memorial Stadium sits on (I know they have in sky boxes), Pinnacle Bank Arena is on city of Lincoln property which is governed under different laws. That being said I do not believe NU gets any revenue from concessions so they gain nothing by allowing that to happen (at PBA), furthermore I believe that Shawn Eichorst has addressed this previously and at that time said he saw no reason to change the policy as it currently is. So no alcohol in either venue (which is fine with me).

Alcohol is served at the Alumni Association right next to the Union before every game.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT