ADVERTISEMENT

Addition by subtraction

drubendall

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 18, 2004
I stole this idea from another board but I think it has a lot of merit. Losing Wandale was a good thing. What could we really expect out of him? He's a little guy. Easy to bring down. Kind of shifty, but small catch radius. We would have looked to him this year as our number one player which he clearly does not deserve. The coach was going to ride him again by default. He was going to get hurt or produce very little. I'm not even picking on him because he was a pretty good kid by all outward appearances, just not the type of player you build your offens around. Other players will step in to take his production. They always do and that's a good thing. A guy like a Stepp is a legitimate D1 running back and possibly an NFL guy at the position.

Toure is clearly an upgrade over the little guy receivers who all ran home to Florida.

Kolarvic was a position of need that we addressed. Kicker too, along with the defensive back from Ohio State.

We are winning at the portal game, moving out non factors and moving in legitimate talent. I would have liked to have gotten a portal QB strictly for competition, but I suspect the elite plan on being day one starters, as in a stud graduated and the job was ripe for the taking.

Frost has made too many whiffs in recruiting, but I think he's adjusting on the fly and going more for a combination of size and speed over strictly speed which worked out okay at UCF.

Robinson AND Toure is better than either alone.

Everyone wins at the portal game. Many players that enter the portal won't end up playing anywhere, just like they weren't playing where they were. Tyreke wasn't playing at Ohio St. Toure and Kolarvic can from a lower level and moved up, they didn't transfer from another P5.

Reactions: kakdawg
I understand frosts thinking on wandell and washington, we just couldn't get them the ball in the open field.
neither had a rozier or lp build to deal in traffic

Robinson AND Toure is better than either alone.

Everyone wins at the portal game. Many players that enter the portal won't end up playing anywhere, just like they weren't playing where they were. Tyreke wasn't playing at Ohio St. Toure and Kolarvic can from a lower level and moved up, they didn't transfer from another P5.
When Robinson is lined up in the backfield, a defense does not have to respect our run game. They're going to cover the flats and make no adjustments to account for running between the tackles. I don't see how him being in the game helps Toure.

I stole this idea from another board but I think it has a lot of merit. Losing Wandale was a good thing.
Wow. He was the most dangerous offensive weapon on the team. You can bet the coaches didn't think it was a good thing. Nice thought experiment though.

Reactions: Can o' corn
You were serious? Robinson was a top prospect the minute he entered the portal. You can't be serious.
It's a prediction. He will not be missed by us and he will be a non-factor for Kentucky. He's a gadget player. Small in stature, but not in a good way like Darren Sproles. He's just another guy. A DC does not have to spy on him or put another guy on him.

When Robinson is lined up in the backfield, a defense does not have to respect our run game. They're going to cover the flats and make no adjustments to account for running between the tackles. I don't see how him being in the game helps Toure.
Well we play more than 3 WR in each game. Losing Robinson does not make us better. Having multiple playmakers is a good thing.

Well we play more than 3 WR in each game. Losing Robinson does not make us better. Having multiple playmakers is a good thing.
Hopefully we're playing a RB in running situations now instead of a 160lb WR at RB. IMO, the additions to the RB room along with Toure will more than make up for losing Wandale. Wandale is a good player but he's short AND small without top end speed.

Hopefully we're playing a RB in running situations now instead of a 160lb RB. IMO, the additions to the RB room along with Toure will more than make up for losing Wandale. Wandale is a good player but he's short AND small without top end speed.
Exactly. When he was in the game, odds were high the play was going to him.

Oh those repeated goal line run plays designed for him. Sheer insanity.

Hopefully we're playing a RB in running situations now instead of a 160lb WR at RB. IMO, the additions to the RB room along with Toure will more than make up for losing Wandale. Wandale is a good player but he's short AND small without top end speed.
What happened to his speed? I've seen claims of 4.3 and under.

Exactly. When he was in the game, odds were high the play was going to him.
Because he was, hands down, the best playmaker on the field. Losing your best playmaker does not make the rest of the team better - that's insane. Spielman might have added another big weapon but he transferred also.
Oh those repeated goal line run plays designed for him. Sheer insanity.
That was a coaching issue not a player issue.

The question is whether Wandale would be happy this year possibly not being the number one target in the passing game. He most likely wouldn't having been needed at RB any longer and his possible touches would be further limited by Manning, Martin, Toure and Betts.

Last edited:
Because he was, hands down, the best playmaker on the field. Losing your best playmaker does not make the rest of the team better - that's insane. Spielman might have added another big weapon but he transferred also.

That was a coaching issue not a player issue.
Best how? Quantify it!

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
The question is whether Wandale would be happy this year possibly not being the number one target in the passing game. He most likely wouldn't having been needed at RB any longer and his possible touches would be further limited by Manning, Warner, Toure and Betts.
Warner?

First, I hate the phrase. It proposes that losing something/someone is positive in both the loss and the gain of an unknown quantity/quality.

Common sense tells me you don't have winning football by losing his production that kept you in games the year before. The same argument could be made that the improvement of players around him would have made Robinson's numbers and contribution better.

Robinson led the team in all purpose yards and gained an average of 7.2 yards whenever he got the ball, by far the best on the team. He lead the team in receptions and receiving yards by a mile.
He had roughly 1050 all purpose yards. How many touchdowns? Would you mind looking it up for me?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Toure will be more productive in the passing game than if we had Wandale and Manning and Betts will surely give us more potential for big plays compared to last year…

Still the QB needs to make plays and who ever calling the plays needs to improve dramatically too..

First, I hate the phrase. It proposes that losing something/someone is positive in both the loss and the gain of an unknown quantity/quality.

Common sense tells me you don't have winning football by losing his production that kept you in games the year before. The same argument could be made that the improvement of players around him would have made Robinson's numbers and contribution better.
Common sense tells me the offensive production was concentrated among Martinez and Robinson to the detriment of other offensive players and the success of the offense as a whole.

I stole this idea from another board but I think it has a lot of merit. Losing Wandale was a good thing. What could we really expect out of him? He's a little guy. Easy to bring down. Kind of shifty, but small catch radius. We would have looked to him this year as our number one player which he clearly does not deserve. The coach was going to ride him again by default. He was going to get hurt or produce very little. I'm not even picking on him because he was a pretty good kid by all outward appearances, just not the type of player you build your offens around. Other players will step in to take his production. They always do and that's a good thing. A guy like a Stepp is a legitimate D1 running back and possibly an NFL guy at the position.

Toure is clearly an upgrade over the little guy receivers who all ran home to Florida.

Kolarvic was a position of need that we addressed. Kicker too, along with the defensive back from Ohio State.

We are winning at the portal game, moving out non factors and moving in legitimate talent. I would have liked to have gotten a portal QB strictly for competition, but I suspect the elite plan on being day one starters, as in a stud graduated and the job was ripe for the taking.

Frost has made too many whiffs in recruiting, but I think he's adjusting on the fly and going more for a combination of size and speed over strictly speed which worked out okay at UCF.
Agree. We should look a lot more like a B1G team on the field this season. Martinez especially needs these larger catch radius guys and we should have them now.

Hilarious. Best how? Scoring? Total yards? Any other metric I'm missing that matters?

Our best player is Adrian Martinez, like it or not. We lose him and it is Oh fudge!
once again you have it upside down.. AM is the sole reason for things falling apart the last 3 seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: OzzyLvr
The kid is talented but small. Dad is a bit of a helicopter parent. I think going home was always a live option and he decided to take it. Wandale could have been a component of NU's success this year, but if he was the straw that stirs the drink again, NU would likely be looking at a struggle to get six wins.
If Wandale decided to stay, Toure probably doesn't show up in Lincoln. So the question is whether one thinks NU is better with a 6-3 guy in the slot who had almost 1500 yards receiving in 2019 and was an FCS All American or Wandale.

once again you have it upside down.. AM is the sole reason for things falling apart the last 3 seasons.
I give Martinez a hard time and I think he shoulders his share of the blame, but his supporting cast the last 2 years has not been good. The theory is that we are upgraded all the way around and that should take the pressure off of him to be the lone rainmaker. I hate the term game manager, but we need him to be a damn game manager. Less wear and tear on him and all the guys around him are a whole lot happier to tote the rock

He had roughly 1050 all purpose yards. How many touchdowns? Would you mind looking it up for me?
You're on you own. Your claim is that losing your best and most productive playmaker is a subtraction that adds value to the team. Robinson has All-SEC and even Heisman potential if he is used correctly and to his max potential. We'll see how he fares under Stoops.

You're on you own. Your claim is that losing your best and most productive playmaker is a subtraction that adds value to the team. Robinson has All-SEC and even Heisman potential if he is used correctly and to his max potential. We'll see how he fares under Stoops.
The answer I was looking for is two. Mr all-purpose yards garnered one touchdown every four games. Do you even read the things that you write? All SEC and Heisman candidate if used correctly? The SEC is going to chew him up and spit him out.

Robinson has All-SEC and even Heisman potential if he is used correctly and to his max potential. We'll see how he fares under Stoops.
Second team or less for the first. The second, not so much.

Hilarious. Best how? Scoring? Total yards? Any other metric I'm missing that matters?

Our best player is Adrian Martinez, like it or not. We lose him and it is Oh fudge!

I don't remember wandale ever getting benched for poor performance.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I present to you, oh simple one, The Ewing Theory

dying laughing at 'Heisman potential'. wan'dale will be lucky to get 1/3 the touches at UK he did here.

Wandale was the only playmaker who seemed to make plays on the team last year, and this is in spite of the low self confidence virus that AM spreads every season. So in that regard, his ability to keep making plays when nobody else even wanted to be out there on offense, is commendable.

Wandale isn't going to do jack in the SEC. He is in no way heisman material. I do love his heart though. I think he was 5'4" or so.. too small to really be a game changer, and he never did change an outcome for us. Lotta heart though.

Wandale was the only playmaker who seemed to make plays on the team last year, and this is in spite of the low self confidence virus that AM spreads every season. So in that regard, his ability to keep making plays when nobody else even wanted to be out there on offense, is commendable.

Wandale isn't going to do jack in the SEC. He is in no way heisman material. I do love his heart though. I think he was 5'4" or so.. too small to really be a game changer, and he never did change an outcome for us. Lotta heart though.

He won the NW game in 2019. We don't win the Illinois game in 19 either.

The kid is talented but small. Dad is a bit of a helicopter parent. I think going home was always a live option and he decided to take it. Wandale could have been a component of NU's success this year, but if he was the straw that stirs the drink again, NU would likely be looking at a struggle to get six wins.
If Wandale decided to stay, Toure probably doesn't show up in Lincoln. So the question is whether one thinks NU is better with a 6-3 guy in the slot who had almost 1500 yards receiving in 2019 and was an FCS All American or Wandale.
How do you know that Toure doesn’t come anyway? That is just guessing.

Hmmm, that's a very good point I haven't thought of. Nice info compadre'!

Losing a player who was miscast isn’t addition by subtraction, in my mind. If Robinson was still here, I feel like he could play a role better suited to his size and skills.

Husker offense needs better performance at all positions,, starting with the offensive line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT