ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of people weren't high on Mark Richt...

540 is exactly right. His teams always underacheived. Every year there was hype and then letdowns. It was the perfect example of how recruiting is not everything, its only a part. Who cares how good your recruiting classes are, they dont give trophies for that.
Maybe he has learned or maybe he has a different staff and he will get it done at Miami? Hes a good guy and I wish him well.
Personally I think part of the hype is that UM fans is people are believing in that alumni magic. Those of us on the outside are more likely to be of a "wait and see" mentality. Personally I think he will do a little better when he's not getting bullied by teams like LSU, Bama, Auburn and (Meyer's) Florida. But he's no Saban.

Personally I think part of the hype is that UM fans is people are believing in that alumni magic. Those of us on the outside are more likely to be of a "wait and see" mentality. Personally I think he will do a little better when he's not getting bullied by teams like LSU, Bama, Auburn and (Meyer's) Florida. But he's no Saban.
. I don't know. The ACC may be better than the SEC right now.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Probably not as far off as you'd think but I think SEC is still best top to bottom.

In 2017 I think

Big Ten goes 4 deep (tOSU, PSU, Mich, Wisc.) an outside chance of 5 with Nebraska, but Purdue, Illinois and Rutgers will struggle to win 4 games.

ACC goes 4 deep, (Ville, FSU, Miami, Clem) Va Tech will be typical (8-4 or 9-3) Duke, UVA will struggle and BC may fall back. Pity improving but lost their OC. Just a lot of "average" 6-6 to 8-4 teams.

SEC - Alabama, auburn, LSU will be good in the west, Florida, Georgia will be good in the East. South Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky are wild cards. Ole Miss, Mizzou, Ark and Vandy will be the 4 worst teams record wise but they will all win at least 5 games. I don't think the other leagues will have that many teams within 1 game of bowl eligibility.

Probably not as far off as you'd think but I think SEC is still best top to bottom.

In 2017 I think

Big Ten goes 4 deep (tOSU, PSU, Mich, Wisc.) an outside chance of 5 with Nebraska, but Purdue, Illinois and Rutgers will struggle to win 4 games.

ACC goes 4 deep, (Ville, FSU, Miami, Clem) Va Tech will be typical (8-4 or 9-3) Duke, UVA will struggle and BC may fall back. Pity improving but lost their OC. Just a lot of "average" 6-6 to 8-4 teams.

SEC - Alabama, auburn, LSU will be good in the west, Florida, Georgia will be good in the East. South Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky are wild cards. Ole Miss, Mizzou, Ark and Vandy will be the 4 worst teams record wise but they will all win at least 5 games. I don't think the other leagues will have that many teams within 1 game of bowl eligibility.
I heard some intruiging talk about kentucky the other day and they have a reasonable chance to win the east, but they need to show me. Florida and Georgia wont be great, more like average, imo.
Alabama in the west tips the scales. LSU should be their biggest contender but who knows about ed. I have to admit i dont know much about auburn right now.

Reactions: DukeOfSorrow
I don't know, Richt seemed to not be able to get it done in an area where there's a smorgasbord of elite players in his backyard. Unless he changes up his recipe, I wouldn't think he would do better. I suppose maybe he's lacked a difference maker at QB, I don't pay attention to GA.

In the BCS era the SEC was basically guaranteed at least one spot in the championship game. You can't win a championship if you're not allowed the chance to play for it. But, the SEC did win 7(?) in a row and that is impressive.

Now we're in the playoff era. An ACC team has won twice, B1G once, SEC once. Depending on your criteria you could pick a leader. Seems pretty close to me.

Reactions: Morgan747
I heard some intruiging talk about kentucky the other day and they have a reasonable chance to win the east, but they need to show me. Florida and Georgia wont be great, more like average, imo.
Alabama in the west tips the scales. LSU should be their biggest contender but who knows about ed. I have to admit i dont know much about auburn right now.
Auburn is the wildcard. They could go either way. If people consider Lee hyped beyond the world as a newcomer transfer QB, Stidham is hyped beyond the Solar System. He lit things up like a Christmas tree over the spring, and they're really excited about him. If he's even close to what they think, they're a contender. If not, they'll be pedestrian again.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Well I see the nit wits know who they are as they responded in kind. I'm glad you posted the rankings. It shows Richt indeed did not recruit as well as he should have. With all the tremendous talent within 500 miles of Athens, Georgia should be in the top 5 every year. This just shows Richt underachieved in recruiting!

The time for you to cut your losses was before this epically idiotic post.

...when we were looking for a coach once upon a time. He may not have been able to move past the Florida's, Alabama's, and LSU's during his tenure in Georgia but Holy Moses the guy can recruit. He has 19 recruits with 15 of them four stars and one five star. I know the southeast has tons of players but he is taking in a huge haul.

The ACC just may have stolen the title of best conference in America from the SEC.

Mark Richt is as good a man as there is in college football, what you see of him is what he is. I have nothing but the upmost respect for him. He is a good coach, but he had grown too comfortable at UGA. Winning football games isn't at the top of his list of priorities, he cares about his players which isn't a bad thing but he wasn't being paid nearly 5M to coddle kids. Richt won alot of games at UGA, but you could count on 1 or 2 losses every year that were just awful. We would show up looking unprepared, unmotivated and for the most part uninvolved. He had let recruiting slide a little, he hated to be away from home, but at Miami he can sign a top 5 class and never spend a night on the road. He couldn't do that at UGA and he most likely couldn't do it at Nebraska either. Smart may or may not be the coach we all want in Athens, but its where he wants to be, and I think Mark Richt is where he wants to be, he looks much happier than his last couple years at UGA.

Reactions: timnsun
16 thousand posts with 16 likes? It's because you must always post stupid shit such as this! On top of that you're a Longhorn - stupidity and Longhorns go hand in hand!

I have 55 (now 56) total posts on this board, genius. How sad is it for you that a Longhorn fan's likes-to-posts ratio is basically identical to yours on your own board?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Mark Richt, University of Miami Hurricanes

Current position
Title
Head coach
Team Miami (FL)
Conference ACC
Record 9–4
Biographical details
Born
February 18, 1960 (age 57)
Omaha, Nebraska
Alma mater University of Miami
Playing career
1979–1982
Miami (FL)
Position(s) Quarterback
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1985–1988
Florida State (GA)
1989 East Carolina (OC)
1990–2000 Florida State (OC/QB)
2001–2015 Georgia
2016–present Miami (FL)

I didn't know his history in Nebraska, at a young age. He grew up in Boulder, Colorado, as well.

But, his primary roots are in Florida, dating back to his youth and his time in high school.

While nice to dream the Midwest and his birth state would be a good fit. He seems more a fit at his alma mater. Fwiw

My two cents...

No it wouldn't have been.

I don't recall many here thinking he was another Pelini in terms of wins and losses... I would have loved to give him a shot here. To me, had he been offerred (and accepted) the position, it would have been an immediate upgrade over Bo. He would have improved recruiting with his connections in the south, and duking it out with the Iowas, Minnesotas and Wisconsins would have been much easier than the SEC for him. He could have been a great hire...

Maybe there are many who thought otherwise though, I don't know.

Ok thanks for setting me straight Rick. Next time, if you post your response outside of my post, it won't look like you are just quoting me.

Just an FYI.

Mark Richt is as good a man as there is in college football, what you see of him is what he is. I have nothing but the upmost respect for him. He is a good coach, but he had grown too comfortable at UGA. Winning football games isn't at the top of his list of priorities, he cares about his players which isn't a bad thing but he wasn't being paid nearly 5M to coddle kids. Richt won alot of games at UGA, but you could count on 1 or 2 losses every year that were just awful. We would show up looking unprepared, unmotivated and for the most part uninvolved. He had let recruiting slide a little, he hated to be away from home, but at Miami he can sign a top 5 class and never spend a night on the road. He couldn't do that at UGA and he most likely couldn't do it at Nebraska either. Smart may or may not be the coach we all want in Athens, but its where he wants to be, and I think Mark Richt is where he wants to be, he looks much happier than his last couple years at UGA.
I bet they would love to have Richt at Ole MIss about now.......

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
ADVERTISEMENT