ADVERTISEMENT

9-16-17 PC notes Micah now #2

If you see it all of the time, could please provide an example. Granted I don't follow HS sports very close, but I dont know many 8 man schools going UP a class.

Almost every skill you listed is different at 8 man. For example: coverage is almost exclusively man to man in 8 man. This makes all quarterbacking and passing different. Ie if you have a better athlete, they can get open.

Tackling, in 8 man if you break 2 tackles is an explosive play. In 11 man it's a first down. Blocking: it's way easier to wash 3 guys and bounce outside, vs getting outside in 11 man.

This is such an empty argument. "Yeah they all block and tackle and put their pads on just like us"...its significantly different. I'd like to see your examples.
I think most lower classes of high school football don't have the type of athletes to delve in to the complexity of x's and o's as maybe class A Nebraska football. Whether or not the big school players actually understand why they do what they do is another question. There's no way an 8 man player knows 11 man defenses when he gets to a college campus. Way more moving parts.

Reactions: V-Doub
I just assumed someone misspoke and meant Donovan. Fighting the star qbs dad would probably be a ticket out of here.
Meh. He's got to figure it out or he'll cost himself hundreds of thousands of dollars. He's a one and done and this is a great chance for him to showcase his talents.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think most lower classes of high school football don't have the type of athletes to delve in to the complexity of x's and o's as maybe class A Nebraska football. Whether or not the big school players actually understand why they do what they do is another question. There's no way an 8 man player knows 11 man defenses when he gets to a college campus. Way more moving parts.
Which is exactly my point to this guy. Little things like position specific coaching, years of catching passes, running routes, and even being properly fitted for shoulder pads that allow you mobility to catch.....these are all of the little things, that add up to big things, which is why it makes no sense to rush Nelson into a starting role that he's not prepared for.

The other poster argues that it's all football and the same game.

Which is exactly my point to this guy. Little things like position specific coaching, years of catching passes, running routes, and even being properly fitted for shoulder pads that allow you mobility to catch.....these are all of the little things, that add up to big things, which is why it makes no sense to rush Nelson into a starting role that he's not prepared for.

The other poster argues that it's all football and the same game.
No one is rushing him. He will continue to play more as the season goes on. There is a reason he was a focal point of that first drive. They could have had Bonner in. But they didn't.

Red zone lineup of Fidone, Dowdell, Nelson, Neyor, Banks. Yes, please.

No one is rushing him. He will continue to play more as the season goes on. There is a reason he was a focal point of that first drive. They could have had Bonner in. But they didn't.

I'm not pushing for Bonner as much as I'm pumping the brakes on the poster who thinks Nelson should be a full time starter and there is no adjustment from 8 man western ne ball, to the BIG.

I like where is role is now....I dont think it will expand a ton. I think this year is probably going to be a package of 10 ish plays per game for him.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I'm not pushing for Bonner as much as I'm pumping the brakes on the poster who thinks Nelson should be a full time starter and there is no adjustment from 8 man western ne ball, to the BIG.

I like where is role is now....I dont think it will expand a ton. I think this year is probably going to be a package of 10 ish plays per game for him.
Respectfully disagree. I see him getting more into this role. He was out there quite a bit Saturday. We still haven't hit a bye yet and we have 2 byes, plus the extra day for Purdue.

Respectfully disagree. I see him getting more into this role. He was out there quite a bit Saturday. We still haven't hit a bye yet and we have 2 byes, plus the extra day for Purdue.
I hope you're right....I just think his playing time vs UTEP and UNI was a lot different than his playing time vs Rado....I think that will probably be the case against in conference play.

I mean how many offensive snaps did he really play? PFF had 8 total snaps, which im guessing half of those were his ST duties....So 4-5 plays and half of those were designed pass plays just for him vs just the regular offense. I just dont see a guy with 4-5 designed plays per game, suddenly mastering the entire playbook and playing 30 snaps per game.

Not dogging Bonner here, but give me the choice between he and Nelson, and I'll take Nelson all day long. We've likely seen what Bonner has to offer, the potential upside for Nelson dwarfs Bonner.

Nelson has the physcal tools as well as the matchup advantage to be a main cog in the offense when he is in there. If he and DR ever get clicking, watch out.

You gotta keep guys with his kind of talent involved and I do think he'll have a larger role as time goes on. There's no need to put pressure on him just yet. I like that they're working him in and getting him reps and targets. I like the way they're managing their roster and the comfortable wins are going to pay off with experienced guys for next year after we lose most of our O and D line starters.

Reactions: king_kong_
Not dogging Bonner here, but give me the choice between he and Nelson, and I'll take Nelson all day long. We've likely seen what Bonner has to offer, the potential upside for Nelson dwarfs Bonner.
I think in theory Bonner is supposed to be a better run blocker.

It takes years for skill position players to get any good at reading defenses and adjusting routes based on what the defense is doing. Most average players come and go and never really develop this skill. What 8 man ball does teach you is to find and get to open space. There's more opportunities to get the ball and make plays. I'd say developing those skills are way more important for a young playmaker to contribute right away than to be able to read a defense perfectly.

This team is plagued with a few guys who, in theory, are better blockers, but it hasn't held true yet.

Overall, our receiving corp has not been a good blocking unit so far.
I don't know why we haven't gotten Bonner the ball more

he has a nose for yards

had a TD run last year that I thought should've earned him more looks

he's an intriguing player

I don't know why we haven't gotten Bonner the ball more

he has a nose for yards

had a TD run last year that I thought should've earned him more looks

he's an intriguing player
Like I said I'm not dogging Bonner, but we have some good sized kids out there and they need to be lighting some people up when their assignment is to block somebody.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT