ADVERTISEMENT

75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor...

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
...an observation or two, and then some 'little known' bits of information(on something like this, I refuse to call it 'trivia'....

I've known two men who were at Pearl Harbor, one briefly and one a little more extensively....the second just passed away a year ago...he was a young boy from Belle Plaine ,Kansas, just out of high school, when his boat was hit...he was in the water for hours before being rescued...he talked to our students about 10 years ago, and when asked, said a day NEVER goes by without thinking of that moment.
http://www.kansas.com/news/article1104234.html

A few items...
*Eleanor addressed the country on the day it happened, but not her husband...
* Cordell Hull emphatically suggested that FDR lay out ALL of Japan's 'sins'...FDR opted for 5 minutes
*The most famous word in the speech...'infamy'....was not in the original draft...and yet it captures the magnitude...
*FDR ALLEDGEDLY rode to the speech in Al Capone's confiscated car...

Blessings and thanks to those YOUNG men who waded into a hell fire war on our behalf...

Last edited:
If you ever get a chance to go to Hawaii you have to go to the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. It is an incredibly well done, very emotional memorial. Taking the boat ride, looking down into the water.....it is very moving. The entire Pearl Harbor Historic Site is well worth the time.

Question; of all of the Japanese aircraft carriers used in the attack, did any of them survive the war? I often wondered this.

Thanks.

Question; of all of the Japanese aircraft carriers used in the attack, did any of them survive the war? I often wondered this.

Thanks.

The movie "Midway" would lead me to believe we destroyed their entire fleet, but honestly IDK. That's a great question.

We destroyed a large part of it there...in an interesting footnote there, I think it was Yamamoto who said AT THAT POINT...."We have lost the war".....it was June of 1942

Reactions: baseball31ne
...an observation or two, and then some 'little known' bits of information(on something like this, I refuse to call it 'trivia'....

I've known two men who were at Pearl Harbor, one briefly and one a little more extensively....the second just passed away a year ago...he was a young boy from Belle Plaine ,Kansas, just out of high school, when his boat was hit...he was in the water for hours before being rescued...he talked to our students about 10 years ago, and when asked, said a day NEVER goes by without thinking of that moment.
http://www.kansas.com/news/article1104234.html

A few items...
*Eleanor addressed the country on the day it happened, but not her husband...
* Cordell Hull emphatically suggested that FDR lay out ALL of Japan's 'sins'...FDR opted for 5 minutes
*The most famous word in the speech...'infamy'....was not in the original draft...and yet it captures the magnitude...
*FDR ALLEDGEDLY rode to the speech in Al Capone's confiscated car...

Blessings and thanks to those YOUNG men who waded into a hell fire war on our behalf...

The History Channel's special on the 24 hours Pearl Harbor of was pretty telling and revealing. Another point that they made in that special was the FDR was under some kind of influence of cocaine when he gave the speech. He supposedly had some type of nasal issues and to treat that in 1941, they would use cocaine to shrink the inflammation in the nasal passages.

Over the last weekend there were a couple of specials on TV about the Pearl Harbor attack as well as on the History Channel on Sunday a full day of the WWII in HD series hosted by Gary Sinese. Very powerful and telling about the struggles a lot of these vets went through during WWII. It is truly a shame that the generation that fought in war is about lost. To me every freaking millennial should have to watch series like this then sit down and have a face to face conversation with someone who grew up in this generation.

The History Channel's special on the 24 hours Pearl Harbor of was pretty telling and revealing. Another point that they made in that special was the FDR was under some kind of influence of cocaine when he gave the speech. He supposedly had some type of nasal issues and to treat that in 1941, they would use cocaine to shrink the inflammation in the nasal passages.

Over the last weekend there were a couple of specials on TV about the Pearl Harbor attack as well as on the History Channel on Sunday a full day of the WWII in HD series hosted by Gary Sinese. Very powerful and telling about the struggles a lot of these vets went through during WWII. It is truly a shame that the generation that fought in war is about lost. To me every freaking millennial should have to watch series like this then sit down and have a face to face conversation with someone who grew up in this generation.
I agree....we have vets come in every year, and we video their talks...not many left.

As a Navy vet this means a lot to me. My family lost some relatives in the Pacific in WWII. I was blessed to meet two Pearl Harbor veterans over the last year or so. One guy was still working at the age of 93 and he was definitely all there. I spent 15 minutes talking to him. I could have spent 3 hours. These guys won't be here for much longer so talk to them while you can. I wish I could have been in Pearl Harbor for the ceremony today. Taps is playing in my head.

We were fortunate to make it over to the USS Arizona Memorial back in 2006 - If any of you ever get the chance to pay tribute I would highly recommend....it's a very somber and special place...I'll never forget it -

valor-da-2a-guerra-mundial.jpg

Biggest thing I remember from visiting was at Hickam AFB. Many of the buildings on the base still have bullet holes in the walls. BIG bullet holes.

My uncle was there. I have a hand written firsthand account of that day. One thing that stuck out was he said an enemy pilot was flying to so low that he could see the guy laughing at him.

The genealogist in me wants to make sure you are preserving that letter. Scan it and then put the original in an archival quality sleeve to protect it.

Went to Hawaii on my honeymoon, and had a chance to see the Arizona Memorial. It's a pretty sobering thing. When you're at the Harbor you get a real sense of just how much our fleet were sitting ducks. These days half of our America probably thinks Pearl Harbor was a "false flag" operation or something....our nation is rejecting it's sense of reality. Going here should be a bucket list item.

Thanks.
4 were sunk in the battle of midway, and number of other carriers were sunk during the battle of Leyte gulf. just my opinion I don’t think any of them involved in the pearl harbor attack survived past the battle of midway is so definitely not to VJ day

geez, I thought only Adam Schiff was on coke. Who knew FDR was too. Explains a bunch.

A lot of good people forfeited their life so we could enjoy self-determination.
Shame on those on this board and across the USA who gave up that God-given right happily in 2020, and tried to convince their fellow American to choose tyranny over liberty.

Boom. there it is. My 89 year old mother is out and about. She refuses to hole up in her house and live in fear. We've turned in to a bunch of cowards who expect government to protect us at every turn and provide sustenance when we are afraid to leave home. We're screwed.

Boom. there it is. My 89 year old mother is out and about. She refuses to hole up in her house and live in fear. We've turned in to a bunch of cowards who expect government to protect us at every turn and provide sustenance when we are afraid to leave home. We're screwed.

True story.

My wife and I walked into Lowes and asked to speak to the manager. Told him we weren't going to wear our masks in the store. He left to check what he should do next and never returned. Then we did the same thing at Home Depot. The manager told us we didn't have to wear a mask if we didn't want to.
Moral to the story? DON'T OBEY

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT