ADVERTISEMENT

4-20 scrimmage notes- single digit players

I remember being a 130 sophomore DB in high school.☹️
I saw some things out of EJ last fall that I haven’t seen for a while out of an NU RB. He looked quick to the hole and has a little wiggle. I also recall him breaking some tackles. He looks like a P5 starter to me. IF you’re pining for another LP, you probably aren’t going to be happy. You maybe get one of those guys every year or two in all of college football.

I don't mean I expect an LP. You rarely see those guys much. But I want more than just "ok" guys.

I don't disagree with your statement that we seen some stuff from EJ that we probably didn't see much from backs recently. Again though I think that says more about how "ok" our other backs was than how "great" EJ was if that makes sense.

I guess I should be more specific. I don't think there is nothing that should stop is from signing NFL caliber RBs. Guys like Rex, Ameer, Buckhalter etc. Not necessarily all time greats like LP/Rozier but guys who make rosters and gets a few carries here and there.

I don't think having 2-3 RBs on the roster capable of being 3-6 round draft picks is asking too much for a program like Nebraska.

Holla

Ameer showed more on special team's as a freshman than anything I've seen from EJ. You also mentioned AA had Rex ahead of him. Rex was a damn good back and understandable why AA didn't play as much. EJ had Ervin, Rahmir, and Mr fumble ahead of him on the depth chart. Which one of those are close to Rex?

It's not a bash I just need to see more from EJ. That's all I'm saying. I loved his HS tape I admit and I was very high on him. At this level though I just need to see a bit more that's all. I don't have a problem giving a guy his props when I see it. I've been wrong before. I think EJ is probably our best back. I just don't think much of the rest of them tbh.

Holla
Clearly EJ hasn’t played enough to be sure but he moves like a starting RB should move IMO. I’m struggling to come up with a college comp for him because IMO he looks different. The only guys I think of are NFL backs. 🤷

Reactions: kakdawg
Ameer showed more on special team's as a freshman than anything I've seen from EJ. You also mentioned AA had Rex ahead of him. Rex was a damn good back and understandable why AA didn't play as much. EJ had Ervin, Rahmir, and Mr fumble ahead of him on the depth chart. Which one of those are close to Rex?

It's not a bash I just need to see more from EJ. That's all I'm saying. I loved his HS tape I admit and I was very high on him. At this level though I just need to see a bit more that's all. I don't have a problem giving a guy his props when I see it. I've been wrong before. I think EJ is probably our best back. I just don't think much of the rest of them tbh.

Holla
AA was a homerun hitter

Not sure EJ has had the chance but he did bust one to ice the purdue game

He’s as close to an every down back as we have right now. It’s too bad we didn’t go back to juco this offseason to add to that room.

Reactions: leodisflowers
AA was a homerun hitter

Not sure EJ has had the chance but he did bust one to ice the purdue game

He’s as close to an every down back as we have right now. It’s too bad we didn’t go back to juco this offseason to add to that room.
A family friend who is one of the team orthopods said over the holidays that there’s a good chance Ervin comes back 100%. Before everybody starts waving the HIPPA flag he didn’t work on Ervin and it was just a conversation about the type of injury in general. I’m skeptical but if he’s 100% and Rhamir stays healthy we should be okay.

This shouldn’t be taken as inside info on Ervin’s injury or recovery. When I saw what his injury was I thought his football career was over so was surprised to hear that someone could sustain that injury and potentially completely recover.

Last edited:
A family friend who is one of the team orthopods said over the holidays that there’s a good chance Ervin comes back 100%. Before everybody starts waving the HIPPA flag he didn’t work on Ervin and it was just a conversation about the type of injury in general. I’m skeptical but if he’s 100% and Rhamir stays healthy we should be okay.
That’s good to hear

But I don’t expect much of anything from those two this season and I just don’t know what to expect from the Oregon transfer

He’s one I’m most excited to see this Saturday

A guy like D Mills looks awfully nice at the moment

If Dowdell needs development to actually play P5 football, maybe he takes a RS if Gabe is available.

Reactions: BleedRed78
My take on this is that HH will be improved as a QB, but that will also be true of the other two. Haarberg looks like he has NFL level athleticism. He moves quite well for a kid his size. But his NFL future is not at QB. He's obviously the wildcat QB should the staff choose to add (or develop) that for the playbook. A pass play with some combo of Coleman, Neyor, and Banks on the outside, HH in the slot and Fidone at TE puts a lot of size and speed on the field.
We have options for size and speed on the field without HH. I'd rather have the guys that practice that position every day on the field. I appreciate the kid, but he's kind of a tweener everywhere until he gets pulled from QB.

My take on this is that HH will be improved as a QB, but that will also be true of the other two. Haarberg looks like he has NFL level athleticism. He moves quite well for a kid his size. But his NFL future is not at QB. He's obviously the wildcat QB should the staff choose to add (or develop) that for the playbook. A pass play with some combo of Coleman, Neyor, and Banks on the outside, HH in the slot and Fidone at TE puts a lot of size and speed on the field.
The “other two” have D1 experience?? Or do you mean from “Highschool?”

That’s good to hear

But I don’t expect much of anything from those two this season and I just don’t know what to expect from the Oregon transfer

That and Ervin sucks. No explosion or lateral movement. Should be a full back

Holla
Kids don't want to do special teams today imo

I guess I would kinda disagree with you there. I could see a scenario where we have as many as 3-4 guys in defense who might be in some type of running for postseason all BIG awards.

If our defense is as good as it was last year or even improves I would be shocked if we didn't have 3 or more guys recognized on some level.

Guys like Nash, Ty, Gifford, Hill, and maybe even one of our edges (Chief, Lenyard,Prince, Butler) might have a decent shot.

On offense I guess it would just be wishful thinking because I have no clue what we will look like. BUT Raiola is that type of talent as is a guy like Banks and maybe Fidone steps up. But like I said until I see I won't proclaim you wrong on the offensive side of the ball.

Lots of "potential" but no promises on offense for sure.

Holla
Would be fantastic to see Raiola and Fidone work. I think we could’ve gotten a lot more production out of Fidone last year, but the ball just wasn’t there. Seems like he made good on the few opportunities he had.

That’s good to hear

Depending on what coaches think of Ives, Dowdell, as well as Ervin’s recovery outlook, I would not be shocked by a summer transfer addition from someone who has been on the college field before.
Mazzcua got some love from coach, but I agree with @kakdawg that we really need multiple difference makers competing for time vs. serviceable pieces.

Rahmir and Emmet seem to have the coaches’ confidence, but health will always be a concern.

Lastly, Dowdell or Ives struggling in spring ball doesn’t tell me they won’t develop enough by fall camp; it just makes me nervous.

Clearly EJ hasn’t played enough to be sure but he moves like a starting RB should move IMO. I’m struggling to come up with a college comp for him because IMO he looks different. The only guys I think of are NFL backs. 🤷

I like EJ. I also think he will get better if/when he becomes "the guy". Something about KNOWING you are the guy and the coaches trust you allows you to be more confident and run more naturally imo. I'm looking forward to seeing him this year and hoping he does well.

I also know people think we have a lot of backs but it wouldn't shock me a bit if they brought in a portal RB to compete as well.

Holla

I like EJ. I also think he will get better if/when he becomes "the guy". Something about KNOWING you are the guy and the coaches trust you allows you to be more confident and run more naturally imo. I'm looking forward to seeing him this year and hoping he does well.

I also know people think we have a lot of backs but it wouldn't shock me a bit if they brought in a portal RB to compete as well.

Holla
They should have picked up a proven back in the portal, in my opinion.

if the varsity O is playing the JV or Frosh D and he isn't happy with the OL in the run game.....no reason to pump sunshine this week just because coach can talk into QB's helmet, imagine T.O. with that ability, dadgumit!!!

I don't mean I expect an LP. You rarely see those guys much. But I want more than just "ok" guys.

I don't disagree with your statement that we seen some stuff from EJ that we probably didn't see much from backs recently. Again though I think that says more about how "ok" our other backs was than how "great" EJ was if that makes sense.

I guess I should be more specific. I don't think there is nothing that should stop is from signing NFL caliber RBs. Guys like Rex, Ameer, Buckhalter etc. Not necessarily all time greats like LP/Rozier but guys who make rosters and gets a few carries here and there.

I don't think having 2-3 RBs on the roster capable of being 3-6 round draft picks is asking too much for a program like Nebraska.

Holla
No that's not too much. You just need a coaching and recruiting staff who does their job. Instead we tried to get others who had notable red flags.

Yeah I'm with you. Looking at our past decade of RBs is kind of stunning.

Leading RB rushers by year:

2023: Anthony Grant - 413 yards
2022: Anthony Grant - 915 yards
2021: Rahmir Johnson - 495 yards
2020*: Dedrick Mills - 396 yards (594 yard pace if full season)
2019: Dedrick Mills - 745 yards
2018: Devine Ozigbo - 1,082 yards
2017: Devine Ozigbo - 493 yards
2016: Terrell Newby - 879 yards
2015: Terrell Newby - 765 yards

Only one guy passed 1,000 yards, and even he didn't average 100 yards per game. I feel like 1,000 yards should be NU's standard for a starting running back, no matter what kind of offense we run. We should be able to attract RBs who can do that, and who have the chops to make a decent living in the NFL once they're done here.

For comparison:

Ameer had seasons of 1,611 yards, 1,690 yards, and 1,137 yards.
Rex had seasons of 1,357 yards and 951 yards (while splitting time with Helu)
Helu had seasons of 1,147 yards and 1,245 yards

Those guys are NU heroes, but none of them were college football legends or Heisman hopefuls or anything like that. They were 3-4 star recruits who were scrappy and got developed into awesome players. We should be able to keep doing that on a regular basis, and hopefully Johnson is the next guy to jump up into that group!

Only one guy passed 1,000 yards, and even he didn't average 100 yards per game. I feel like 1,000 yards should be NU's standard for a starting running back, no matter what kind of offense we run. We should be able to attract RBs who can do that, and who have the chops to make a decent living in the NFL once they're done here.

For comparison:

Those guys are NU heroes, but none of them were college football legends or Heisman hopefuls or anything like that. They were 3-4 star recruits who were scrappy and got developed into awesome players. We should be able to keep doing that on a regular basis, and hopefully Johnson is the next guy to jump up into that group!
I get what you're saying & don't disagree with the premise. However, I don't have time today to look it up but I believe Rhule has stated you do the kid a disservice to put too many miles on him while in college. 1,000 yards for a season breaks down to 83+ yards per game. At 4.5 ypc, that's 19 carries per game. At 5.0 ypc, that's 17 carries per game. As nice as it would be, I just don't see 1,000 yard backs happening under Rhule.

Reactions: huskerj12
I get what you're saying & don't disagree with the premise. However, I don't have time today to look it up but I believe Rhule has stated you do the kid a disservice to put too many miles on him while in college. 1,000 yards for a season breaks down to 83+ yards per game. At 4.5 ypc, that's 19 carries per game. At 5.0 ypc, that's 17 carries per game. As nice as it would be, I just don't see 1,000 yard backs happening under Rhule.
Great points!

Not sure why this just popped into my head...but does anyone else remember about a week before DR decomitted from the Dawgs...somebody came on this board and "something big was going to happen next Tuesday" ....and of course everyone piled on...then DR comitted about...next Tuesday.

Anyone else remember and did that guy get the credit he was due and who was it??

Last edited:
Reactions: arf_man
Not sure why this just popped into my head...but does anyone else remember about a week before DR decomitted from the Dawgs...somebody came on this board and "something big was going to happen next Tuesday" ....and of course everyone piled on...then DR comitted about...next Tuesday.

Anyone else remember and did that guy get the credit he was due and who was it??
If the poster fails to come forth, I will humbly receive the credit on his/her behalf.

Holla
Sounds like Ervin sticking around is questionable. I don’t think we take a scholarship back from the portal though. We have a couple of walk ons who could work if our top 4 get injured. 4 scholarship backs is probably enough for now. Have to get a dude in 25’s class.

For comparison:

Sounds like Ervin sticking around is questionable. I don’t think we take a scholarship back from the portal though. We have a couple of walk ons who could work if our top 4 get injured. 4 scholarship backs is probably enough for now. Have to get a dude in 25’s class.
Gabe has had really bad luck. Was finally starting to heat up and then gets injured at OU. Was averaging over 5 ypc last year before his season ending injury. Who knows, maybe he has a clean year and is productive as a big back.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and kakdawg
Gabe has had really bad luck. Was finally starting to heat up and then gets injured at OU. Was averaging over 5 ypc last year before his season ending injury. Who knows, maybe he has a clean year and is productive as a big back.
I agree with you. He actually looked pretty decent before that injury at OU. I feel like when he came back, he just got too big and lost some of that burst he seemed to have as a young back.

I agree with you. He actually looked pretty decent before that injury at OU. I feel like when he came back, he just got too big and lost some of that burst he seemed to have as a young back.
He's a big kid and he should just rehab and commit to being as athletic as he can be in his current body. But that bigger body was average over 5 ypc until the injury. A trio of EJ, Gabe and Rahmir should do.

Reactions: leodisflowers
His hip was a freak injury. Really bad luck.

They should have picked up a proven back in the portal, in my opinion.

I agree but I THINK they though Dowdell may end up being that guy. I know he was super highly rated coming out of HS but he was another kid I "liked" but didn't love.

Big and powerful but I didn't see the initial burst or explosion I like to see from a back. I also didn't see the elusiveness or lateral quicks.

From what I seen (HS Film) he's a guy that if he has a hole he can't get to it and get you yards. Maybe even fall forward with his size and strength. But would be one who would struggle if he has to create for himself.

Holla

Reactions: dinglefritz

I hope that's not the case. If he signs a truly GREAT RB he should get a 1000 yards easily.

Holla

I agree but I THINK they though Dowdell may end up being that guy. I know he was super highly rated coming out of HS but he was another kid I "liked" but didn't love.

Big and powerful but I didn't see the initial burst or explosion I like to see from a back. I also didn't see the elusiveness or lateral quicks.

From what I seen (HS Film) he's a guy that if he has a hole he can't get to it and get you yards. Maybe even fall forward with his size and strength. But would be one who would struggle if he has to create for himself.

Holla
Big kid from southern Mississippi in what would be a large class B or small class A school. Ran for 2k and was POY in that class. A big kid like that would be hard to tackle at that level of competition once he’s through the Dline. Reports out of spring indicate he has some learning to do, but the practice structure Rhule set up offers practice reps.
If all he has to offer is big, he probably won’t play much. But he was the #6 back in his class and 109 overall. The staff needs a season to see what he might become.

THE STREAK!

Sounds like we're in the mix for Edwards from Colorado though...I guess we'll see!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT