ADVERTISEMENT

4-20 scrimmage notes- single digit players

You don’t want a situation where you put a kid out there too early and destroy his confidence. I have no doubt Rhule will try to do what he thinks best for the kid and that’s why I’m not going to question it if he doesn’t start game 1.
Yeah in normal situations I’d veer more toward that view, but Raiola might be the opposite… Raised from birth to be an NFL QB, top recruit in the country after playing for 3-4 different high schools, committed to 2 different top-tier colleges before picking NU based on family, incumbent QB (while scrappy and athletic and saved the offense from total disaster) had passing skills that were so rudimentary we had to scale the offense back to a comical degree, etc.

In other words, Raiola’s confidence may be destroyed if he DOESN’T win the starting job right away.

Last edited:
Yeah in normal situations I’d veer more toward that view, but Raiola might be the opposite… Raised from birth to be an NFL QB, top recruit in the country after playing for 3-4 different high schools, committed to 2 different top-tier colleges before picking NU based on family, incumbent QB (while tough and scrappy and athletic) had passing skills that were so rudimentary we had to scale the offense back to a comical degree, etc.

In other words, Raiola’s confidence may be destroyed if he DOESN’T win the starting job right away.
Raised from birth? I thought he said he’s only been playing football for 4-5 years. I don’t think he’s been on a Todd Marinovich plan.

Yeah in normal situations I’d veer more toward that view, but Raiola might be the opposite… Raised from birth to be an NFL QB, top recruit in the country after playing for 3-4 different high schools, committed to 2 different top-tier colleges before picking NU based on family, incumbent QB (while scrappy and athletic and saved the offense from total disaster) had passing skills that were so rudimentary we had to scale the offense back to a comical degree, etc.

Not that it's a big deal but Dylan wasn't raised from birth to be an NFL QB. He didn't start playing the QB position until relatively late. I believe he was concentrating on baseball before he became a QB. But yes I also believe he can handle pressure being in the spotlight.

Reactions: huskerj12
Raised from birth? I thought he said he’s only been playing football for 4-5 years. I don’t think he’s been on a Todd Marinovich plan.
Is that true?? I don’t think he’s a Marinovich situation either haha but based on his HS career and his family’s very businesslike approach to his recruitment/development, plus all the mentions in articles about how he “grew up in NFL locker rooms” and stuff I figured he was very into football from a very young age. Maybe he’s just a savant!

Is that true?? I don’t think he’s a Marinovich situation either haha but based on his HS career and his family’s very businesslike approach to his recruitment/development, plus all the mentions in articles about how he “grew up in NFL locker rooms” and stuff I figured he was very into football from a very young age. Maybe he’s just a savant!
He had an interview with Bussin’ with the Boys that he said that. I can’t remember if it was football in general or QB specifically. I think he mentioned when h was young he stayed away from football because he didn’t like getting hit. Then he grew and made a little crack about having a leaner body than his dad and found out he could throw the ball a mile and started getting into football then.

He was really funny in the interview and sitting there his legs looked huge. Dude definitely has a strong foundation. If I find the link I will add it.

7:40 mark

17:58 talks about scared to get hit when he was younger.

Last edited:
Not that it's a big deal but Dylan wasn't raised from birth to be an NFL QB. He didn't start playing the QB position until relatively late. I believe he was concentrating on baseball before he became a QB. But yes I also believe he can handle pressure being in the spotlight.
With him being as good as he is with a relatively small time at the position, in my opinion shows significant upside still. Hopefully the staff can keep his development going and get the best out of him for the team and his future.

There are multiple stories about him playing catch at Lions practices when he was a grade schooler. NFL players commented that they knew then that he was a special talent. Is that raised to be a QB?

There are multiple stories about him playing catch at Lions practices when he was a grade schooler. NFL players commented that they knew then that he was a special talent. Is that raised to be a QB?
Again, not that it matter much, but being around the Lions and playing catch is quite different than actually playing the QB position on school teams.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Again, not that it matter much, but being around the Lions and playing catch is quite different than actually playing the QB position on school teams.
I should've kept that quip out of my post haha. But my point is that he has had a very unique path, with tons of preparation and thought behind it all, even for a top recruit.

Reactions: RBigredMax
Is that really saying all that much? We haven't had a decent running back in years, have we?
Not at all. Our RB's have been terrible. Ozigbo was a bright spot for like 8 games, but outside of that.. Yikes. I like EJ's game, but we have to build that room. Hopefully Ives is decent and we get bring in some big time guys going forward.

I keep seeing a bunch of pay articles that Dylan was really good this past weekend. Can anyone confirm? Twitter doesn't have much right now.
Maybe he was the QB that engineered that 99 yard drive that Rhule "conveniently" forgot. Ha, seems like there's a conscious effort to tamp down the hype. And yes I get that, it makes sense given Husker fans tendency to go overboard.

Rex and Ameer were great college RBs, with consistent productivity over multiple seasons. We don't yet know what EJ will grow into. His RS freshman stats were better than AAs and Ozigbo's.
IF EJ stays healthy, he will be helped this year by 1) more experience, 2) continued OL improvement and 3) a better passing game to spread out the defenses.

I should've kept that quip out of my post haha. But my point is that he has had a very unique path, with tons of preparation and thought behind it all, even for a top recruit.
I wasn’t trying to be a jerk - I just remembered listening to the interview and it was like a record screeched when the lack of time in position and also this giant of a kid saying he was scared to get hit early when his dad was a pro baller. 🤣

• Haha
On the radio this morning they said it was Haarberg FWIW.
I expect Haarberg to take the first snaps with the 1s on Saturday

and I recommend everyone else do the same so as not to be disappointed

can't wait!

On the radio this morning they said it was Haarberg FWIW.
My take on this is that HH will be improved as a QB, but that will also be true of the other two. Haarberg looks like he has NFL level athleticism. He moves quite well for a kid his size. But his NFL future is not at QB. He's obviously the wildcat QB should the staff choose to add (or develop) that for the playbook. A pass play with some combo of Coleman, Neyor, and Banks on the outside, HH in the slot and Fidone at TE puts a lot of size and speed on the field.

Listening to the replay of the local radio yackers. The consensus is that Raiola has separated from the other two somewhat and that EJ is the one back in the room that can excel in all phases of the game. Dowdell may need work in pass pro.

That is my question for entire roster - who are playmakers? All conference type? I think we can name a few but still many ?s.

I guess I would kinda disagree with you there. I could see a scenario where we have as many as 3-4 guys in defense who might be in some type of running for postseason all BIG awards.

If our defense is as good as it was last year or even improves I would be shocked if we didn't have 3 or more guys recognized on some level.

Guys like Nash, Ty, Gifford, Hill, and maybe even one of our edges (Chief, Lenyard,Prince, Butler) might have a decent shot.

On offense I guess it would just be wishful thinking because I have no clue what we will look like. BUT Raiola is that type of talent as is a guy like Banks and maybe Fidone steps up. But like I said until I see I won't proclaim you wrong on the offensive side of the ball.

Lots of "potential" but no promises on offense for sure.

Holla

Ah

Ahmam Green was at the scrimmage Saturday and said emmet Johnson was the best running back Nebraska had for years.

That's great news and I hope it's accurate. I like EJ myself but he is just one guy out of about 6. Plus none of them (EJ included) hasn't shown anything for us to deem them "special". Most great backs you can see it their first year getting PT. I didn't see it with EJ. But I do like him. I just don't LOVE him.

FWIW I think he's probably the best back we have in the room also. So it's not a hating on him type deal. I just think as a whole our RB room is kinda meh. Hope I'm wrong...

Holla

I guess I would kinda disagree with you there. I could see a scenario where we have as many as 3-4 guys in defense who might be in some type of running for postseason all BIG awards.

If our defense is as good as it was last year or even improves I would be shocked if we didn't have 3 or more guys recognized on some level.

Guys like Nash, Ty, Gifford, Hill, and maybe even one of our edges (Chief, Lenyard,Prince, Butler) might have a decent shot.

On offense I guess it would just be wishful thinking because I have no clue what we will look like. BUT Raiola is that type of talent as is a guy like Banks and maybe Fidone steps up. But like I said until I see I won't proclaim you wrong on the offensive side of the ball.

Lots of "potential" but no promises on offense for sure.

Holla
Hope you are right on this- that potential shows up this season.

Reactions: kakdawg
I think the bigger problem at RB last season was injuries. Granted staying healthy is a challenge but if the RB's can remain relatively healthy I think we'll be fine at the position.

So here is where I'll push back at you my good buddy. You mentioned staying healthy as a priority and I agree. But everyone who is hurt now we have also seen them when they weren't hurt and STILL not one of them "stood out".

Then you mentioned if they remained relatively healthy we'll be FINE at the position. ...

I DONT WANNA BE FINE !! I wanna have a room that is better than fine. To me fine is the definition of "meh" or "average" I think we need better and I hope like hell the coaches feel the same. I don't wanna be "fine" at any positions. We should want more...

Holla

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Listening to the replay of the local radio yackers. The consensus is that Raiola has separated from the other two somewhat and that EJ is the one back in the room that can excel in all phases of the game. Dowdell may need work in pass pro.
Did they say what the basis was for their conclusion that he's separated himself? Is it just his arm strength or were there other characteristics mentioned?

I wasn’t trying to be a jerk - I just remembered listening to the interview and it was like a record screeched when the lack of time in position and also this giant of a kid saying he was scared to get hit early when his dad was a pro baller. 🤣
I remember being a 130 sophomore DB in high school.☹️
So here is where I'll push back at you my good buddy. You mentioned staying healthy as a priority and I agree. But everyone who is hurt now we have also seen them when they weren't hurt and STILL not one of them "stood out".

Then you mentioned if they remained relatively healthy we'll be FINE at the position. ...

I DONT WANNA BE FINE !! I wanna have a room that is better than fine. To me fine is the definition of "meh" or "average" I think we need better and I hope like hell the coaches feel the same. I don't wanna be "fine" at any positions. We should want more...

Holla
I saw some things out of EJ last fall that I haven’t seen for a while out of an NU RB. He looked quick to the hole and has a little wiggle. I also recall him breaking some tackles. He looks like a P5 starter to me. IF you’re pining for another LP, you probably aren’t going to be happy. You maybe get one of those guys every year or two in all of college football.

DD must be the RB Rhule was referencing about picking up the safety blitz or risk losing your star QB.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
That's great news and I hope it's accurate. I like EJ myself but he is just one guy out of about 6. Plus none of them (EJ included) hasn't shown anything for us to deem them "special". Most great backs you can see it their first year getting PT. I didn't see it with EJ. But I do like him. I just don't LOVE him.

FWIW I think he's probably the best back we have in the room also. So it's not a hating on him type deal. I just think as a whole our RB room is kinda meh. Hope I'm wrong...

Holla
EJ had twice the yardage and more carries as a RS freshman than AA did his first year and EJ averaged a yard more per carry. AA was playing behind Rex and TMart had a boatload of yards. RJ was buried on the depth chart and didn’t play until the fourth game of the season.

Reactions: BleedRed78
EJ had twice the yardage and more carries as a RS freshman than AA did his first year and EJ averaged a yard more per carry. AA was playing behind Rex and TMart had a boatload of yards. RJ was buried on the depth chart and didn’t play until the fourth game of the season.

Ameer showed more on special team's as a freshman than anything I've seen from EJ. You also mentioned AA had Rex ahead of him. Rex was a damn good back and understandable why AA didn't play as much. EJ had Ervin, Rahmir, and Mr fumble ahead of him on the depth chart. Which one of those are close to Rex?

It's not a bash I just need to see more from EJ. That's all I'm saying. I loved his HS tape I admit and I was very high on him. At this level though I just need to see a bit more that's all. I don't have a problem giving a guy his props when I see it. I've been wrong before. I think EJ is probably our best back. I just don't think much of the rest of them tbh.

Holla

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT