ADVERTISEMENT

28 April 2019 Game 39: Illinois at Nebraseball (Illinois wins 6-5)

Following a leadoff base hit we have a pitching change, Colby Gomes is now in the game.

Gomes Ks the next batter looking, not allowing him to put the bunt down.

Palensky runs about a mile to grab out number two in foul territory.

Mojo is caught stealing.

Henwood Ks and Schwellenbach flies to RF to end the frame.

Gomes allows a leadoff single.

The next batter puts down a SAC bunt. Gomes has the runner out at 2nd but everyone is safe after the ball tips off Schwellenbach's glove.

A popped up bunt followed by a K makes it runners at 1st and 2nd with two down.

Indiana beats Minnesota 7-1

Ohio State over Iowa 5-1

Michigan and Rutgers are tied at 1-1 in the 10th

Reactions: saluno22
Chick rips an RBI single through the right side. Watson goes 1st to 3rd and Cam takes 2nd on the throw.

Can't say I'm surprised we failed to get it done. When we won yesterday, I really felt like it kept us from getting swept-not a chance to win the series. Got a couple of key hits, but that's about it-Illinois did everything they could to give the series away with walks, and we couldn't take it, even at home. It's a typical Erstad team-we've seen all of this before.

Damn, damn, damn it. Four critical close losses, two at Minnesota, one at Iowa and now this. Win just one of those and the whole season takes on a different color. Win two and we run away with this conference title.

Damn!
If you look back at those games you’ll see what usually plagues Erstad teams. Untimely errors and not hitting with runners in scoring position.

It's beating a dead horse at this point, I know, but Nebraska couldn't have asked for an easier conference schedule so far. Illinois begged us to score runs with, what, close to 25 walks in this series? Jeez.

Sorry guys this team is really not even a tourney team. They might make it in but no chance to advance unless something changes or they get very lucky!

Sorry guys this team is really not even a tourney team. They might make it in but no chance to advance unless something changes or they get very lucky!
The pitching rotation will have to dig deep and throw 7 or 8 shutout innings each, with Gomes, Schanaman and Waldron to throw one inning apiece, and hope the offense can drum up 1 run. This will not happen, obviously.

I'd like to see us make the tournament, obviously, but then again I also know that we'd almost certainly lose to some small conference school that we shouldn't lose to(unless we could get lucky against some poor school like Binghamton again).

I'd like to see us make the tournament, obviously, but then again I also know that we'd almost certainly lose to some small conference school that we shouldn't lose to(unless we could get lucky against some poor school like Binghamton again).
Depressing part is we were losing going into the 9th of that game.

But at least we had an offense that could generate some runs when the pitching was having an off-day :eek: These days, giving up more than 3 runs to a 4-seed would spell doom :mad:

This one hurts. We fought back to seize momentum and then give up the game-winning hit in an at-bat that shouldn’t have happened.

One thing we have absolutely done this season is taken care of business against the bottom of the conference, going 9-0 against Michigan State, Purdue and Penn State. I’m hopeful the cure for the current funk is three games in Evanston.

Last edited:
Damn, damn, damn it. Four critical close losses, two at Minnesota, one at Iowa and now this. Win just one of those and the whole season takes on a different color. Win two and we run away with this conference title.

Damn!
That’s true but we also won one-run games against Penn State, Iowa and Illinois. Lose 1-2 of those and everything is different in the opposite direction. We are 3-4 in one-run/extra inning games in conference play which doesn’t seem extreme.

That’s mostly true. I do think we played fairly well in the two games against Fullerton in 2014 but didn’t win either.
True-I remember that now. I have always wondered too how we would have fared in 2013 if we had beaten Indiana in the B1G tournament final. We were on a roll at that time.

True-I remember that now. I have always wondered too how we would have fared in 2013 if we had beaten Indiana in the B1G tournament final. We were on a roll at that time.
Forget beating Indiana. How about just one more win all season? We had an RPI around 30 and only missed a regional because we were one game under .500. Plain and simple, we over-scheduled that year.

Forget beating Indiana. How about just one more win all season? We had an RPI around 30 and only missed a regional because we were one game under .500. Plain and simple, we over-scheduled that year.
It was on Erstad for not rescheduling the games cancelled earlier in the year. Anyone who did the math knew we had to win the whole thing and he went in knowing those impossible odds.

Truth is he never thought his team could pull it off otherwise why give them a win it all or nothing scenario to begin with.

That’s true but we also won one-run games against Penn State, Iowa and Illinois. Lose 1-2 of those and everything is different in the opposite direction. We are 3-4 in one-run/extra inning games in conference play which doesn’t seem extreme.

Yeah I know. I was just lamenting who we are instead of who we want to be. Being below .500 in one-run/extra inning games is not a good look for anyone trying to challenge for a title. And especially so b/c of having the most favorable schedule I've seen in a long while.

Illinois is now at 20 in the RPI. They can probably play their way into hosting.

In other news, Creighton lost two of three at home to Xavier. The Bluejays had little margin for error so their chances of hosting are probably gone. Which makes me smile. A regional at TDAPO would make me quite ill. (Unless we’re in it—then it would be even better than a regional in Lincoln because we could get more than 8,000 fans in the stands!)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT