ADVERTISEMENT

22 Feb 2019 Game 6 (DH-2): Nebraseball vs. Oregon State in Surprise, AZ (OSU wins 5-3)

Dang, was hoping to steal that one. We had our chances and our pitching gave us a chance. Still feel that 1st inning when we got nothing out of a bases loaded no outs situation set the tone for the game.

Is it bad that I'm rooting for two rainouts?
I'm all for your team getting more exposure to elite competition. I don't think either of these losses are demoralizing, and with so many young players and arms returning, more reps are better and will serve the team well later in the season.

I'm not saying I'm happy with losses, but we knew how this weekend was likely to be. I'm encouraged by yesterday despite the losses.

The big question to me is the grounds crew. How was the rest of the evening after the game 1 debacle? Looks like Saturday and Sunday will be dry but a bit chilly.

Reactions: gunNrun
If we steal one I feel it would be today. I just don’t think the Freshman pitchers are ready for a big series like this and Fisher was by far the most impressive starter from last weekend. Will inconsistency with this pitching staff continue to creep back in? As I said before, these first few weekends will give us a better picture.

I have a lot of thoughts about this series so far I’d like to share but I’ll wait until these final two games come to fruition.

Reactions: k9_r and saluno22
If we steal one I feel it would be today. I just don’t think the Freshman pitchers are ready for a big series like this and Fisher was by far the most impressive starter from last weekend. Will inconsistency with this pitching staff continue to creep back in? As I said before, these first few weekends will give us a better picture.

I have a lot of thoughts about this series so far I’d like to share but I’ll wait until these final two games come to fruition.
Will say that a few elements of our pitching have been eye opening good. Very nice surprise.

Not liking the fact we didn't schedule for wins. Would like to see this pitching rewarded.

I'm all for your team getting more exposure to elite competition. I don't think either of these losses are demoralizing, and with so many young players and arms returning, more reps are better and will serve the team well later in the season.

That's the rationale and the judgment call comes when evaluating the demoralizing factor. Just have to wait and see on that.

I could agree that four games with the Beavs might work out in the long run but adding that to the series in Frisco followed by the Baylor series seems like piling on. To me, this elevates the demoralizing thing.

Totally OK with weather canceling the Baylor games.

Reactions: saluno22
That's the rationale and the judgment call comes when evaluating the demoralizing factor. Just have to wait and see on that.

I could agree that four games with the Beavs might work out in the long run but adding that to the series in Frisco followed by the Baylor series seems like piling on. To me, this elevates the demoralizing thing.

Totally OK with weather canceling the Baylor games.
I see what you're saying and don't disagree. I was looking at it more as given the strength of opponents, I'm not disappointed in our performance < yet >. The little I heard between games (Erstad saying they need to be more aggressive early in AB) and early in the second game (the players were aggressive early in ABs), the players are at least coachable. But like you say, as the losses build (which is likely given the strength of our opposition), it has the potential to be cumulatively demoralizing even if we are still performing well in games.

In the long run this season, the goal is finishing high in the conference standings and/or making a deep run in the conference tournament. I haven't seen anything yet that says we can't do that. Hopefully that coupled with a strong RPI resulting from this scheduling practice will result in an NCAA tournament bid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT