ADVERTISEMENT

2026: DR vs Nico in Memorial Stadium

New age college football. 9 game conference schedules, changing landscape. No one is going to be looking to play big name schools in the non-conference. There’s no point and only hurts your playoff chances. I forget which podcast I was listening to, but Gary sharp basically said straight up this series will get cancelled.

Reactions: Wasker77 and V-Doub
I’ll be shocked if this game is played.

Huh? The game may not involve DR and Nico, but it will certainly happen outside of something really crazy. And if NIL, the Portal, 12 team playoff and conference realignment hasn’t been crazy enough to derail future schedules, I can’t imagine what will?

You thinking we’ll be embroiled in WWIII by then 😳

Reactions: ssmill777
New age college football. 9 game conference schedules, changing landscape. No one is going to be looking to play big name schools in the non-conference. There’s no point and only hurts your playoff chances. I forget which podcast I was listening to, but Gary sharp basically said straight up this series will get cancelled.

I’m not sure I agree with Sharp’s opinion. These type of non-conference games generate a ton of money and hype. Not sure the TV contracts will allow for these big time matchups to be cancelled. Plus one loss doesn’t sink your playoff hopes anymore. IDK, 🤷‍♂️ I guess we’ll find out pretty soon. 2026 is just around the corner.

Reactions: king_kong_
Huh? The game may not involve DR and Nico, but it will certainly happen outside of something really crazy. And if NIL, the Portal, 12 team playoff and conference realignment hasn’t been crazy enough to derail future schedules, I can’t imagine what will?

You thinking we’ll be embroiled in WWIII by then 😳
It will definitely involve DR, he won’t be eligible to leave before then

Nico could leave the year before

As for people who don’t like these non-con games I couldn’t disagree more

These games are the best (B1G so boring) and we as fans deserve them

Last edited:
An interesting side note to all this. My daughter has her own digital marketing company. A while back we were visiting her when a guy called who was continually sending work her way, more than she can do. Anyway, this guy had just signed Nico up market his name and apparel. We were listening to the entire conversation as the guy was driving and my daughter is getting his name on a site. After she hung up she asked if I knew anything about the kid, I knew very little.

I won’t post a link but I have sent her articles about him and how he is on some QB watch lists this year. There is a huge market out there for this kind of stuff, way over my head when I watch her do the e-commerce part.

Back to your regularly scheduled nap.

I’ll be shocked if this game is played.
I’ll be pissed if it’s played.

It will mean we still don’t understand how to get to the playoffs

1. Easy non con to build wins and stay HEALTHY
2. Win all but 1-2 games in conference
3. If they really want to do it right, start the conf game a week earlier and build in a Citadel/Middle Tenn State type of game in early November to give the starters a rest prior to start of the final run.

It’s the Alabama/SEC way. Super smart.

3. If they really want to do it right, start the conf game a week earlier and build in a Citadel/Middle Tenn State type of game in early November to give the starters a rest prior to start of the final run.

Weakness Youre Weak GIF by Kinda Funny

Reactions: Walleye79

I don’t have time to verify this, but my impression is that Alabama plays a marquee OOC game most years. Granted, they win most of them easily, but still.

I’m physically and mentally superior to you. Is what it is.

Regarding this conversation, go check out Alabamas schedule this season. The play the annually dominant Mercer Bears in November. Next year they get Eastern Illinois on Nov 22 right before they make their playoff run.

They do things the right way and have for years.

I don’t have time to verify this, but my impression is that Alabama plays a marquee OOC game most years. Granted, they win most of them easily, but still.
Sometimes they play a marquee game in the OOC. But they do it usually in week 1-2 so they can recover the next few weeks with some absolutely pathetic teams and climb back up a few notches before conference season starts.

Check out their November slate. Mercer this year and eastern IL next season. Helps them spend two week breaking down film on teams with a pulse instead of game planning for Mercer.

Not to mention their starters get to sit 3 quarters and rest up while the other sec teams are playing other sec teams.

This is an SEC opponent with national title aspirations, Billy

Are you suggesting a top SEC school doesn’t know how to do things the SEC way?

This isn’t college hoops, bud. A marquee non-con game doesn’t hurt if you lose and helps immensely if you win.

Duh

Just last year Bama lost a marquee non-con game and made the playoff

And that was with a 4-team field

Last edited:
Reactions: shocksker
We don't want to schedule 3 sec teams but I wouldn't run from marquee OOC games. Great way to expand our brand, provide an opportunity for fans in other regions to easily attend games, and provides a good enrichment for season ticket holders.

Some years that ooc game is the most desirable home game. Replacing CU with Mercer this year would have been a pretty tough to swallow for season ticket holders. You can only get so excited for Rutgers, UTEP, and Illinois.

We don't want to schedule 3 sec teams but I wouldn't run from marquee OOC games. Great way to expand our brand, provide an opportunity for fans in other regions to easily attend games, and provides a good enrichment for season ticket holders.

Some years that ooc game is the most desirable home game. Replacing CU with Mercer this year would have been a pretty tough to swallow for season ticket holders. You can only get so excited for Rutgers, UTEP, and Illinois.
100%.

People like little Billy who want to backdoor into the 12-seed via cowardly scheduling are the worst.

We want to play and beat the best.

A&M’s home loss to notre dame week 1 won’t keep them out if they only lose 1-2 SEC games this year.

Regarding this conversation, go check out Alabamas schedule this season. The play the annually dominant Mercer Bears in November. Next year they get Eastern Illinois on Nov 22 right before they make their playoff run.

Highly unlikely Bill.

Take the weak mans way out all you want.. want to be the best, play the best.

Man, wasn't this game originally set for like 2018? Crazy how time flies by!

This would be a road trip that me and my friends would make, if they end up playing in Tenn as well...

Another weak response from little Billy. If this game is there and both teams ranked say top 15. Absolutely needs played. Playoffs and recruiting. Look at the big picture bud.

Reactions: Huskers123456
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT