ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 Nebrasketball Roster Inherited . . . An Exercise

GoBigRed23

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2005
Regardless if Hoiberg is coming or it's someone else, let us take a dive into what we have returning next year and thoughts around the roster build the new coach is looking at. I've listed heights and weights as listed on Huskers.com, so don't shoot the messenger :). ** denotes current walk-on:
  • Amir Harris (6'6 205) - Soph - PG
  • Karrington Davis (6'6 215) - RFr - Guard/SF
  • Brady Heiman (6'11 215) - Soph - Center
  • **Justin Costello (6'1 200) - RSoph - Guard
  • Thomas Allen (6'1 184) - Jr - Guard, maybe can run point in a pinch
  • Nana Akenten (6'6 218) - Jr - SF/Guard
  • Thorir Thorbjarnarson (6'6 206) - Jr - Guard
  • Dachon Burke Jr (6'4 180) - Jr - Guard
  • Isaiah Roby (6'8 230) - Sr - Forward
  • **Johnny Trueblood (6'3 194) - RSr - Guard - Sidenote: Huskers.com lists him as a current senior, but he sat out/didn't play basketball as a sophomore and I think could use that as a redshirt year and has one year of playing eligibility left
Incoming Recruits (assuming no defections, but who knows with that):
  • Akol Arop (6'6 180) - Forward
  • Mika Adams-Woods (6'2 160) - PG
  • Jervay Green (6'3 195) - Guard
I've bolded who I would expect to be in the starting line up should no attrition occur and assuming we don't land some immediate impact, out-of-the-blue transfer or JUCO additions.

My thoughts:
- 2 open scholarships at the moment. I view that as a good thing as it will give the new staff a little flexibility and a chance to flip the roster more quickly.
- Ridiculously small; reminds me of the team Doc had out on the court with Ryan Anderson at center in terms of size. New coach needs to target a beefy PF or Center with some mass. I don't even care about height; need someone with some beef.
- Athletic and versatile group overall with many interchangeable parts.
- Burke and Green would carry the heavy lifting in terms of scoring; Roby as well obviously. That being said, priority number 1 for me with the new staff is locking down these 3 to assure they return next year. I think Burke is fine in staying, but I'm uneasy about Green and Roby leaving and think we'll need to re-recruit.
- I don't know anything about Karrington Davis and I doubt anyone does that hasn't seen a practice. Often injured and really hasn't played competitively in two years. Not sure what we have there.
- Arop I think is a year away and would like to see redshirt and develop, but given the lack of any front court options, that's unlikely. Since we'll likely have to use him, I'd expect him to be solid defensively but a big offensive liability, year 1. Woods-Adams will play as he's a true PG and we kind of lack that on the roster, as Harris isn't necessarily a primary PG IMO.
- Gut tells me Thomas Allen will likely defect and transfer back to East Coast. No inside information on that, just a feeling. Hope I'm wrong because he's a solid contributor.
- Thor and Akenten. Not sure, but would not be surprised if the new staff looks to help one or the other find a new home elsewhere.
- Heiman has a lot to work on. A ton really. Strength and conditioning is one aspect of it, but his confidence seemed to be way low at the end of the year. Shaking his head at himself, missing easy assignments, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News