ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Nebraska Football Captains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Gagwish is a better captain than he is decision maker

Really have to question the choice of Gangwish but other than that seems like a solid group of leaders.

From what I've read, Gangwish is as vocal a leader on the field and in the weight room as you could want. McMullen's a better player, but much quieter. Who else is there for defense? Davie, any other obvious captain candidates? Rose-Ivey probably suffers from missing last year, Valentine from spending too much of his career out of shape (pictures of him from this spring, though...)

Seems like a lot, but oh well. Don't question Gangwish, he's the real deal. I do question Gerry, to this point has been vastly underrated and frankly quit in that Wisconsin game. Maybe being a captain he'll learn to tackle or actually try at least.

Seems like a lot, but oh well. Don't question Gangwish, he's the real deal. I do question Gerry, to this point has been vastly underrated and frankly quit in that Wisconsin game. Maybe being a captain he'll learn to tackle or actually try at least.

I must have missed the part where Gerry quit in that game. I seem to recall him running Gordon down from behind on numerous long runs. Perhaps he was in the wrong spot, but he didn't quit on them plays. I also recall he played his entire freshman year at LB for the good of the team, before moving to his natural position of safety last year. Yeah, his season sucked because he was a quitter.

Gangwish has the ridiculous raccoon thing working against him, but don't forget about him being the 2014 lifter of the year, or this awesome pre-game fist bump with a young fan.
bwfd_sscuaaiujg.jpg

Did the Huskers win the game you were watching? You sure weren't watching the same game that I was. I'm guessing you meant overrated not underrated. If so, I disagree with that as well.

Leadership does not equate to being talented on the field. Gangwish is the exact type of player that is considered for team Captain in Football.

Reactions: Husk10
It will be interesting to see how the team reacts when Riley replaces Armstrong as the starting QB during the season.
Isn't Riley 61? I'm imagining that if anybody replaces Armstrong, it'll likely be somebody else... Maybe Bush, or Darlington, but not Riley.

Winking

Reactions: HolcombHusker
Hopefully Gagwish is a better captain than he is decision maker
Same applies to tommy, except his decision making issues have happened on the field. Gerrys physical abilities are the truth, but he too often 1/2 asses it. If Apollo Creed could take Gerry out onto a beach and run with him in super tight shorts, Gerry would have the eye of the tiger, and would be all world.

amen. get the season started.

(at the same time, i know around mid-november i'll start asking myself, 'where did the season go? why it was just yesterday we were talkin' about team captains.')

I must have missed the part where Gerry quit in that game. I seem to recall him running Gordon down from behind on numerous long runs. Perhaps he was in the wrong spot, but he didn't quit on them plays. I also recall he played his entire freshman year at LB for the good of the team, before moving to his natural position of safety last year. Yeah, his season sucked because he was a quitter.

It certainly wasn't his fault we lost that game and there were many embarrassing plays that our whole defense played a part in giving up, but if you want to hang your hat on "running people down from behind" inside the five yard line a few times I think you're being a little too simplistic and, frankly, too easy on him. I also think we can view effort and quitting in different parts of a play, not just the end. Gerry isn't our worst player, but I do believe he is vastly overrated and is mostly hype. He does not tackle well, unless running down from behind I guess. (Before you say something, my comment on tackling is a general one, and yes I know he has tackled people before not from behind. I'm looking at the overall body of work.) Too many times he and Cooper both would just kinda shrug their shoulders down at runners on the sideline and miss them completely or not hit them hard enough..almost like they were scared or something, and it wasn't just the Wisconsin game. Maybe that's how they were taught, I dunno.
Moral of the story, I am of the opinion that Gerry needs to step it up big time in the run game this season and be able to make tackles when they really matter, not 40 yards downfield. I don't think he has played like a captain. I do however feel he could be very, very good and live up to his hype (he is still young I'll credit that).
Here's some video to watch (all-around embarrassing that this is out there):

1:57 ass kicked

2:07 terrible angle, quit

Absolutely terrible at 3:05, quit moving his feet, crapped pants, chased down but who cares?

3:26, yeah be proud of that play.

5:21…terrible. Makes gangly wimp receiver look like a guard, and quit.

It certainly wasn't his fault we lost that game and there were many embarrassing plays that our whole defense played a part in giving up, but if you want to hang your hat on "running people down from behind" inside the five yard line a few times I think you're being a little too simplistic and, frankly, too easy on him. I also think we can view effort and quitting in different parts of a play, not just the end. Gerry isn't our worst player, but I do believe he is vastly overrated and is mostly hype. He does not tackle well, unless running down from behind I guess. (Before you say something, my comment on tackling is a general one, and yes I know he has tackled people before not from behind. I'm looking at the overall body of work.) Too many times he and Cooper both would just kinda shrug their shoulders down at runners on the sideline and miss them completely or not hit them hard enough..almost like they were scared or something, and it wasn't just the Wisconsin game. Maybe that's how they were taught, I dunno.
Moral of the story, I am of the opinion that Gerry needs to step it up big time in the run game this season and be able to make tackles when they really matter, not 40 yards downfield. I don't think he has played like a captain. I do however feel he could be very, very good and live up to his hype (he is still young I'll credit that).

Absolutely terrible at 3:05, quit moving his feet, crapped pants, chased down but who cares?

Why did I watch those highlights? Still can't believe people stuck up for the defensive "genius." My word...pure delusional.

#cherrypicking kid was 2nd on the team in tackles with 5 picks as a true sophomore that was forced to play LB his freshman year. He's a player.

Reactions: resdog851
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT