ADVERTISEMENT

2-0

If Martinez doesn't get hurt. NFM .

I agree, but that’s also a point of criticism for the staff. Martinez is a true freshman, and we were pinning our hopes on him for the year. Injuries happen. I support this staff 100%, but we really needed more quarterbacks. We kind of boxed ourselves in.

Reactions: saluno22
I agree, but that’s also a point of criticism for the staff. Martinez is a true freshman, and we were pinning our hopes on him for the year. Injuries happen. I support this staff 100%, but we really needed more quarterbacks. We kind of boxed ourselves in.

The college game today is all about Qbs and the passing game. Look at Tua. We need to convince another dual-threat signal caller to come to Lincoln and compete with Adrian, not just roll-out a stable of competent back-ups.

I don't think they anticipated Gebbia quitting the week before the season started.

I don't think they anticipated Gebbia quitting the week before the season started.

They should have. They should have at least considered that possibility when they took over. Their roster management and recruiting has been mostly great thus far, but they are in a hole of their own making at qb.

Reactions: sandiegohawk

ehh, they probably figured he was gone. Not much you can do about that, though.

If Vedral were eligible, he'd be starting right now with Martinez hurt.

We'll have better options next year, and if you are doing to take the hit, do it this year, and not grovel to keep a guy like Gebbia

Reactions: Clevinger
They should have. They should have at least considered that possibility when they took over. Their roster management and recruiting has been mostly great thus far, but they are in a hole of their own making at qb.

Tough call here, as Martinez is the better Qb (most likely) from what I have seen. They went with the better and younger guy.

Gebbia transferring was unfortunate and untimely because he would have been "the guy" right now.

Just a lot of unfortunate events, like the Akron cancellation. Kinda snakebit. Just sucks right now.

Reactions: Clevinger
I don't know how the QB could reduce the number of penalties against this team by himself. Or all of the fumbles. Or the broken 3rd and long plays by our opponents. Or the complete and utter inability to be able to run the ball on third and short. This team has a lot of problems right now. Pinning those problems on any one thing makes no sense.

You should be head coach. You are so smart.

Nah. This is stuff the average fan could see as a potential problem. Yes, that makes you below average.

It's just so easy to say it, maybe not as easy as you think it is. I bet you are really good at cooking fries at McDonald's though. You dominate at that.

It's just so easy to say it, maybe not as easy as you think it is. I bet you are really good at cooking fries at McDonald's though. You dominate at that.

I’m a physician. I waited tables and welded in college but have never worked in the fast food business.

I love Frost, but their roster management at the qb spot was poor. The result—in which we have a true freshman and walk on—speaks for itself.

Hey, better to get that bad shit known and out of the way early than be filled with false hope and ideals

What the hell are you talking about?
They could have had Burrows. Then would have been criticized for bringing in too many contenders at QB thus causing one or more of them to quit.

If you think I'm off base this staff was criticized for naming a #1 and #2 QB, thus causing the #2 to quit. Supposedly it would have been better to name a 1a and 1b.

Was there any interest with our staff and Joe Burrow?

dum...how many programs lose every single scholarship qb from one year to the next? This staff brought in one of the best freshman in the country and built up the only remaining stiff into a guy who can complete 70% of his passes when throw into the fire. They could not foresee how weak MRs qb recruits would be when it came to competition. Shieet, those bums might have been playing today. Gebbia's decision was ABSOLUTELY idiotic considering he was behind a kid who already had two season ending shoulder injuries in HS...coaches could not have foreseen it, and Gebbia hid it to give himself a chance to start. We do need more qbs..but this what happens when you take over for a pathetic program...kids jump ship...real college football players actually left Nebraska, and the national coach of the year to sit on the bench at Oregon State and Colorado State...wtf.

dum...how many programs lose every single scholarship qb from one year to the next? This staff brought in one of the best freshman in the country and built up the only remaining stiff into a guy who can complete 70% of his passes when throw into the fire. They could not foresee how weak MRs qb recruits would be when it came to competition. Shieet, those bums might have been playing today. Gebbia's decision was ABSOLUTELY idiotic considering he was behind a kid who already had two season ending shoulder injuries in HS...coaches could not have foreseen it, and Gebbia hid it to give himself a chance to start. We do need more qbs..but this what happens when you take over for a pathetic program...kids jump ship...real college football players actually left Nebraska, and the national coach of the year to sit on the bench at Oregon State and Colorado State...wtf.

Aren’t they sitting the bench because they have to sit out a year?

The college game today is all about Qbs and the passing game. Look at Tua. We need to convince another dual-threat signal caller to come to Lincoln and compete with Adrian, not just roll-out a stable of competent back-ups.

2 of the last 4 national championship games have been won on the shoulders of a back up QB. Back up QB can no longer just manage a game so that you don’t get beat. They are expected to come in and win a game. We have consistently had a walk on as a back up QB for the better part of the last 4-5 seasons.

That Colorado leg twisting slime ball may have hung two losses on us.

I didn't think Bunch played that bad-our OL looked slow versus Troy today. I was actually happy with the OL play against Colorado, but today was sad

From my understanding Burrow was not interested.
According to Sean Callahan, Burrow would have listened to Nebraska, but it was the Huskers who showed no interest.

ESPN had a segment this morning on Gameday and they referenced how NU was his dream school in HS and they never offered him. I guess Beck completely blew him off on a visit here. What a huge mistake IMO. The kid was a 4 star DT QB, a legacy and wanted to come here. Beck was an idiot.

Frost said publicly he thought Martinez was better than Burrow, per the tweet below.

I find it hard to believe Burrow wasn't interested in playing here for Frost, given that we were his dream school in high school and Frost is close with the Burrow family. But given that Frost would not guarantee him a starting job and actually say he thinks Martinez is better, why would Burrow come here?

In the 4th quarter against cu, the buffs shut down Nebraska, and while they would have had a better shot at winning with Martinez in that final possession, it still would have been difficult to get the victory.

best chance at winning was the receiver not dropping the first down pass from Bunch

I don't think that's very fair. Hindsight is always 20/20. Was Frost not supposed to be upfront with Gebbia and not let him know his status? He was upfront and Gebbia bailed out. Not much they could have done about it.

What I do find rather surprising...and disturbing...is that the team continues to not take care of the ball and continues to shoot itself in the foot with penalties. I would suspect we are at the 'bottom' of D1 with regard to penalties and turnovers, and that just compounds the QB depth issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT