ADVERTISEMENT

19 April 2019 Game 33: Nebraseball at Iowa (Iowa wins 3-2)

What is disappointing is that the last 3 years near the end of the season his teams quit hitting the baseball and leave too many stranded..

Last edited:
Reactions: regionsdoc
I just can’t figure out the bats. We have a small ball mentality without a small ball approach. My hope is these guys are just in a temporary slump at the plate ready to breakout.

The bright side is this pitching staff is giving us a chance to win so it won’t take much to win these close games. But loss is still a loss at the end of the day.

And, just like clockwork, Truehuskerfan reappears on the board after a close loss to complain.
I really don't know what your point is here. You act as if the only time I ever comment is when something bad happens. Not true. In 16 years on this board, I've often been accused of being too positive. This may be the first time I've been accused of being too negative.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
I still have never received an answer to Jim Rose's comments on Erstad's inability to coach from DE supporters. I just read a lot of excuses for continued wheel-spinning, and stretching for accomplishments.

I still have never received an answer to Jim Rose's comments on Erstad's inability to coach from DE supporters. I just read a lot of excuses for continued wheel-spinning, and stretching for accomplishments.
Pardon me for asking but what were those comments? Link?

Pardon me for asking but what were those comments? Link?
This was some time on his KFAB morning show last year, IIRC it was basically he's more suited for MLB management, doesn't really know how to teach the game to college kids. Of course, just JR's opinion I suppose, but I don't think he has any particular axe to grind.

Edit: did find one segment from last season, JR actually said he just didn't have any experience and that players don't have the same internal drive DE had his entire career and there was a disconnect there, but qualified his statement by saying he thinks Erstad will eventually figure it out. But, uh, so far, I'm not seeing much different.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobsterMobster
Very proud of myself for not going all knee-jerk...
Because we all know my dreaded "jinx"
is the Slump always starts at "the very mention" of hosting a regional.
Which gained steam right before K-State.
I kept my mouth shut, until now Winking

Reactions: saluno22
This was some time on his KFAB morning show last year, IIRC it was basically he's more suited for MLB management, doesn't really know how to teach the game to college kids. Of course, just JR's opinion I suppose, but I don't think he has any particular ax to grind.

Edit: did find one segment from last season, JR actually said he just didn't have any experience and that players don't have the same internal drive DE had his entire career and there was a disconnect there, but qualified his statement by saying he thinks Erstad will eventually figure it out. But, uh, so far, I'm not seeing much different.

If nothing else, Rose certainly has opinions. This one is pretty widely held though and DE's coaching experience (being what it is Winking - you know, lacking) may very well be a part of our difficulties. Actually likely so.

We all hope he improves there b/c he ain't getting replaced unless he hangs it up.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Very proud of myself for not going all knee-jerk...
Because we all know my dreaded "jinx"
is the Slump always starts at "the very mention" of hosting a regional.
Which gained steam right before K-State.
I kept my mouth shut, until now Winking
Happens almost every year, don't beat yourself up.

Half the time it starts with the media, though.

Then there was 2017 when the NU athletic department decided not to bid for the conference tournament because (paraphrasing) they didn't want to tap the ticket market prematurely in case NU hosted a regional. SMH.

Reactions: gunNrun
If nothing else, Rose certainly has opinions. This one is pretty widely held though and DE's coaching experience (being what it is Winking - you know, lacking) may very well be a part of our difficulties. Actually likely so.

We all hope he improves there b/c he ain't getting replaced unless he hangs it up.
Exactly the problem many of us said the day he was hired. Especially in a lower-visibility sport like baseball, there is no way a legend gets fired. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there are too many people that care more about having a Husker legend coaching than they do about actually having success. Or at least to the extent that too many people will make excuses for the coach's lack of success that they wouldn't make for anyone else.

Message board rumors are not obviously permissible in court as it were, but it's been floated some boosters haven't been all that impressed, DE may not be as safe as it seems :shrug: Back to today's game. . .

Message board rumors are not obviously permissible in court as it were, but it's been floated some boosters haven't been all that impressed, DE may not be as safe as it seems :shrug: Back to today's game. . .
I wish. I'll believe it when I see it though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT