ADVERTISEMENT

1620 (USC) talking Game of the Century

grayhairedfreak

Sophomore
Aug 21, 2010
Josh made the observation he thought a lot of younger people now believe the Johnny Rodgers punt return was the game-winning TD, because that is the highlight you always see. I'm old enough to know this isn't true, but has this actually become a common misperception? If so, we gotta work on our Husker history.

The GOTC also made #5 on some dude's list of 100 greatest college football games ever. '84 Orange Bowl was #3. Putting too much emphasis on The Decision, methinks.

And yet most choose not to. Thanks for the link for those that want to see what we are talking about. On RSS it's as if Husker football started in 1993.
Born in 74, I missed out on the great teams of 70-71 Devaney. I remember the heartbreak at Miami in 84, the ass whippings in most bowls in the 80's and early 90's.The speed and talent of the FSU's and Miami's. Arguing with the old man and uncles about how Tom "lost it" and the game had passed him by. Was a simple fix. Get more speed and better talent then put in more work than the next guy. Why I love recruiting and why I cant wait to start winning some titles again. Start with the West, then the Big 10. Get in some big bowls in the playoffs and win a few. Maybe a National title. We will NEVER see a 90's run in this day and age and I'm OK with that. Some cant comprehend reality and are still living in the 90's with their Starter coats and Zubaz pants. :rolleyes:

Reactions: baseball31ne
They might not have the attention span to watch it. Give them a Nebraska fidget spinner and that might do the trick. Winking

513GVBT9noL.jpg

Born in 74, I missed out on the great teams of 70-71 Devaney. I remember the heartbreak at Miami in 84, the ass whippings in most bowls in the 80's and early 90's.The speed and talent of the FSU's and Miami's. Arguing with the old man and uncles about how Tom "lost it" and the game had passed him by. Was a simple fix. Get more speed and better talent then put in more work than the next guy. Why I love recruiting and why I cant wait to start winning some titles again. Start with the West, then the Big 10. Get in some big bowls in the playoffs and win a few. Maybe a National title. We will NEVER see a 90's run in this day and age and I'm OK with that. Some cant comprehend reality and are still living in the 90's with their Starter coats and Zubaz pants. :rolleyes:

Zubaz pants RollingLaugh. Good post!

At the time the hype for this game was unbelievable. After OU destroyed texass in mid October, ABC was already building this game up as the Game of the Century, which it truly was.

Johnny Rodgers catch on the 3rd and 7or 8 ( I believe) was as big a play in the game as his punt return but it was Kinney and the offensive line that played at it's highest level helped contribute to the greatest game Nebraska played in.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Johnny Rodgers made the play of the game but it wasn't the punt return. He made an unbelievable catch for a first down to sustain the final, winning drive.
Here's the play. Hopefully this link works. If it doesn't, the play starts a little after 2:38:07 in the YouTube video above.

ADVERTISEMENT