ADVERTISEMENT

1620 the zone Benning on LP

Originally posted by ssmith84:
Hamneggs proved that he is a colossal douche with that post

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if your daughter was the victim of one of LP's stunts.

Originally posted by Egregious Error:
Originally posted by St. Anger:
Originally posted by mwulf:
Damon should be on every sports or news outlet that wants to talk about this story ...this segment was maybe the best they have ever had
The dude is a brilliant announcer. The spring game was outstanding.
^ Absolutely agree. Damon is the hands down the best color commentator I have ever heard for a Husker game.
Agreed. BTN has trotted out some pretty horrible color analysts for NU games, and it's baffling considering how good Benning is. He actually teaches you about the game and breaks down fundamentals and concepts. He's not just some big idiot going, "Watch here, this guy runs in and goes BOOM! Let me tell ya I played and that hurts."

Hamneggs is right. He should have been kicked out of school for what he did. I have met the parents of LPs victim and they were obviously not fans of TO or the University for not taking the appropriate action at the time. I have a daughter and i can tell you that if somebody did something like that to her, i would be in prison for murder.

Originally posted by HuskerBorn:
Hamneggs is right. He should have been kicked out of school for what he did. I have met the parents of LPs victim and they were obviously not fans of TO or the University for not taking the appropriate action at the time. I have a daughter and i can tell you that if somebody did something like that to her, i would be in prison for murder.
If my child was a victim son or daughter I would be irate. My initial reaction would probably be "I'm going to kill him". That still doesn't dismiss the fact that his upbringing is what triggers his rage!!![/B]

I would eventual forgive him, because there is a reason for the way he is. What good would it do if I got my revenge on someone like that. It would make me equally as bad, and wouldn't bring back what he already did.

He needs to be out of harms way, and away from society.

I enjoyed listening to Damon's piece on LP yesterday and some of the posters here get exactly where Damon was coming from. Tough spot when a friend of yours does unspeakable things, but Damon eluded some some of the reasons why LP might have done those things. Damon didn't condone those actions, nor did he try to justify why it was ok; just trying to give a perspective as to what may or may not have been going through LP's head.

Had people posting here actually taken the time to listen to the piece, they would have also heard that TO took the vote of whether LP stayed or went to the team and they went over the pros/cons as a team and made a team decision. I'm not going to rehash that whole process, the doctor's assessments, etc but a structured setting is what LP needed the most in his life and the teams was trying to facilitate that environment for him.

I also agree that prison is the best place for LP and found it telling
that solitary confinement was where he preferred to stay and that he
didn't like social contact. Certainly a troubled upbringing for that young man and not one which is unique either.

My two cents

Originally posted by big red22:

Originally posted by HuskerBorn:
If my child was a victim son or daughter I would be irate. My initial reaction would probably be "I'm going to kill him". That still doesn't dismiss the fact that his upbringing is what triggers his rage!!![/B]

I would eventual forgive him, because there is a reason for the way he is. What good would it do if I got my revenge on someone like that. It would make me equally as bad, and wouldn't bring back what he already did.

He needs to be out of harms way, and away from society.
Adults stop blaming their parents for the person they are. At some point, long before 40, the responsibility shifts to themselves.

That presupposes LP has the ability to consider the situation rationally,which I think is a very tenuous assumption.

His upbringing messed him up, its not an excuse for his actions and people have overcome it, but he is much more the rule than the exception
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by mkbrkloster:
Adults stop blaming their parents for the person they are. At some point, long before 40, the responsibility shifts to themselves.
First, he is an adult by age and he is doing adult time for his actions. He deserves everything that is coming to him, because nothing dismisses the crimes he committed.

I get that you think he is in the right place. On that everyone agrees.

My assumption is that he is not mentally disabled. Further, my assumption is that he does not have a severe mental illness, so therefore that is not part of this discussion.

Why do I assume he is not mentally disturbed? During his time at NU and "the clinic", he was evaluated by supposedly qualified doctors that apparently told TO that he should be able to "earn" his way back on the team. That this incentive would encourage him to make better choices (i.e. control his impulses). In order for those doctors to recommend that, they must have felt his impulses were "controllable", and therefore NOT part of a mental disability NOR underlying severe mental illness. While I don't know for sure, I would imagine the Rams had him in counseling and under doctor supervision while in the NFL as well. Apparently their doctors came to the same conclusion. I can go a step farther and assume his attorney in the attempted murder case had him evaluated for potential insanity/mentally disabled defense. As far as I know, he didn't use that argument in court.

(Sure, it's possible he's been misdiagnosed by dozens of people, and he truly is mentally disabled. If that's the case, then the entire context of the discussion changes.)

My use of the word adult has no age correlation. Just the opposite. You become an adult when you take responsibility for your own life and choices. For some, that occurs at 14, others 40, others never. You seem to want LP to blame his parents for his life. I'd prefer LP blamed himself for his life (perhaps he does, I don't know). Again, this does't apply to the mentally disabled.

We obviously disagree on the level to which LP had the power to change himself (with the help of dozens of professionals), which is fine; I can live with that.

I'll just end by saying again that there are literally millions (yes, millions) of kids/adults in the world right now that had a worse childhood (many without ANY parental figures at all in their life). 99% of them didn't have access to doctors, therapists, and dozens of people trying to help them overcome their upbringing. Some of those kids will live their entire life behind bars, many won't. Most of those kids won't ever try to kill 3 people, successfully kill another, plus numerous other infractions against individuals and society. Some of them are even highly functioning members of society. If others could do it (with far less opportunities, chances, and resources), why couldn't LP?

I listened to the interview with TO on the situation with LP.....cant remember if it was with Greg S. TO said that the NFL dropped the ball in following through with making sure LP got counseling. My words....not the exact words of TO. Yes, LP is still responsible. Im still going to wait for the facts on this most recent incident. It wasnt too long ago that LP was attacked in prison and almost died. Maybe this murder was self defense. Prisons are hell. Maybe he was being abused and couldnt take it. We dont know. .

Originally posted by huskergina:
I listened to the interview with TO on the situation with LP.....cant remember if it was with Greg S. TO said that the NFL dropped the ball in following through with making sure LP got counseling. My words....not the exact words of TO. Yes, LP is still responsible. Im still going to wait for the facts on this most recent incident. It wasnt too long ago that LP was attacked in prison and almost died. Maybe this murder was self defense. Prisons are hell. Maybe he was being abused and couldnt take it. We dont know. .
Wow
This post was edited on 4/16 3:40 PM by hamneggs53

Ham.......do you know facts about this case that the rest of us dont? No one is condoning anything LP has done in his life. Every person deserves a day
In court.....

Originally posted by huskergina:
You know I am hoping this was the case. I am hoping he was put in a situation where he had no choice but to defend himself and can prove it. Seems odd he's go all Rambo on a cell mate knowing he was the only other one in the cell and he'd be the prime suspect. Not that it will matter in my daily life, but I find myself hoping for the best here. What a sad case though, dude could have been a rich man retired on any beach he wanted and a Husker legend welcomed with open arms here. What a lousy way to end your life.

He may have murdered the guy for no reason.....we dont know. All I know is that I would not want some of the posters on this board serving on murder jury trials. Knowing facts is crucial....and some could care less....they are going to base everything on the past

This post was edited on 4/15 5:42 PM by huskergina

He absolutely could have been defending himself. Then again he could have just snapped. The fact that 2 inmates were reportedly killed on the same day makes you wonder.

Prison society is a whole different world, with different rules, and the guards are only in control as long as the inmates decide to be controlled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT