ADVERTISEMENT

“People better get us now.” ~Scott Frost

That was tragically painful.

At this point—if you had a time machine—would you rather have kept:

1) Bill Callahan and just hired a new defensive coordinator?

or

2) Bo Pelini and forced him to work with a life coach and better recruiting staff?
Give me Bill and a really good DC. I liked Cassidy and how organized they were. But Cosgrove and Elmassion had to go for sure.

Last edited:
I don't care to talk about those quotes. I want to talk about who the next head coach is. Let's put together a solid list to debate.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
I don't care to talk about those quotes. I want to talk about who the next head coach is. Let's put together a solid list to debate.
My point is that we need to learn from mistakes. Callahan and Pelini probably deserved a chance to salvage things. Heck, Solich too (though I hated how he got the job)

Our last 2 coaches have been so bad that there is nothing to salvage.

Frost has been a walking sound bite and not in the good way.

It would be one thing if he was an actual coach and could back it up. But turns out he is just a loser with a big mouth.
…and to that point, “You think he’s better than what we got?”

My point is that we need to learn from mistakes. Callahan and Pelini probably deserved a chance to salvage things. Heck, Solich too (though I hated how he got the job)

God that is a tough one. Probably Callahan because Nebraska was only 6 years removed from a National Championship and he was 4 years removed from being in a Super Bowl. There seemed to a salvageable ship (even though Pelini's record was better). But the greatest reason is because I think Callahan changing personnel is at least possible. Pelini was never going to submit to a life coach or allow anyone to tell him what to do.

Reactions: BleedRed78

I don't think Callahan was built for the long-term. He would have played his success at Nebraska into another NFL head coaching job. Went back anyways as an assistant. He is strictly an NFL guy. We funded his retirement pretty nicely though.

or

2) Bo Pelini and forced him to work with a life coach and better recruiting staff?
Pelini is easily the better choice. Callahan had a heck of a lot of problems besides just the defense.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

or

I don't think it is as simple as it sounds.

Callahan was not going to fire Cosgrove, they were college roommates. I think it was a deal breaker, he was willing to quit or be fired before he fired his buddy. Also, he was disrespectful of Osborne, which helped turn the fanbase against him more. And I don't think TO liked his brand of football. So when TO took over from Pederson, the writing was on the wall.

Pelini could not handle the pressure of being the Nebraska head coach. I doubt a life coach could have changed that. Hell, he couldn't handle the pressure of being the coach of Youngstown. And his disrespect for the UNL administration was ingrained and could probably not be changed. Getting the innovation campus going was critical to Perlman and when he bought potential investors out, having a raving lunatic on the sidelines didn't promote the NU brand very well.

It's like asking how about keeping Frost if he were willing to bench his starting QB and hire a new OL and QB coach? He isn't going to do those things, so the point is moot.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I wish Bo had started TM as a true freshman instead of Zac Lee in 09. Nebraska plays Alabama in the 09’ National Title. Recruiting skyrockets. Carl gets hired as HC somewhere, and Nebraska lands a stud DC by default.

Are you an attention whore? I don't see you anywhere these days. Just when shit goes downhill. Are you here to gloat? We're all pissed. But we're not just here in the bad times.
I am mainly just posting during football and basketball seasons anymore. I follow our baseball too. The offseason propaganda doesn’t interest me.

“Shit” has been going downhill with our football program for 20 years. Bad times are just about all we have now. Where have you been?

or

You think he's better than what we got?

or

1. I felt that way even back then. The 2007 schedule was very difficult but the program was well stocked for 2008 (Bo Pelini walked into a good situation with Suh and Ganz). TO could have pressed Callahan to fire the DC and I think he would have. Half the fanbase was obsessed with Pelini at the time and it was a foregone conclusion.
Having said all that, and as painful as today was, I think it might be for the best that we continue to give Frost an opportunity to succeed IF he is willing to make changes (but only if). Make staff changes and roster changes or hit the road. NO worthwhile coaches see this program as a good opportunity.

Should have never fired Callahan. He was bringing in studs to Lincoln. All they had to do was get behind him and nudge him to get a legit D cordinater and Nebraska would have been set.

Reactions: Clevinger
I don't think it is as simple as it sounds.

Callahan was not going to fire Cosgrove, they were college roommates. I think it was a deal breaker, he was willing to quit or be fired before he fired his buddy. Also, he was disrespectful of Osborne, which helped turn the fanbase against him more. And I don't think TO liked his brand of football. So when TO took over from Pederson, the writing was on the wall.

Pelini could not handle the pressure of being the Nebraska head coach. I doubt a life coach could have changed that. Hell, he couldn't handle the pressure of being the coach of Youngstown. And his disrespect for the UNL administration was ingrained and could probably not be changed. Getting the innovation campus going was critical to Perlman and when he bought potential investors out, having a raving lunatic on the sidelines didn't promote the NU brand very well.

It's like asking how about keeping Frost if he were willing to bench his starting QB and hire a new OL and QB coach? He isn't going to do those things, so the point is moot.
Tom said that Callahan asked him if he wanted him to fire Coz. He would have done it and I think knows it needed to be done. Tom didn't give him the option. Tom was hired to fire Callahan and put the band back together.

If I had a time machine I would go back to the year 2000, when T.O. was strongly considering taking the Michigan State HC job, grab him and then take him back to 1997 so that he could talk to the 1997 version of himself and explain just how much he'd miss coaching. Who knows how different history would have been if T.O. had waited another 5-10 years before retiring.

or

It is fun to imagine what if’s. If Callahan had a better Defensive Coordinator, I think he would have been more successful here. Ironically, if Nebraska made the move to the BIG10 earlier during the Callahan years, Cosgrove Defense may have been better since he was Alvarez’s D Coordinator and more familiar with the BIG10. Regardless, even if Callahan was more successful I think he always wanted to go back to the NFL.

Pelini beat most of the teams he was favored to but failed miserably in the big games. We probably would have been bowl eligible each year, but Pelini never would have gotten us over the hump.

I would pick Callahan with a really good Defensive Coordinator.

Reactions: Clevinger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT