ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game Cliffs?

I thought he was out but he did play. I think the guys on Husker online said he played the first series and that was it.

Tristan Alvano - per Huskers.com

Tristan Alvano was a record-breaking kicker for Omaha Westside High School. He set state all-class records for most field goals in a game and in a season, while his 27 career field goals were the most in Class A history.

Alvano made 16 field goals as a senior, the most in a season in the history of Nebraska high school football, regardless of class. He kicked five field goals, including a 50-yarder and a 45-yard game-winner as time expired in Westside’s state championship victory over Gretna. His five field goals were the most in any state playoff game in Nebraska history and tied for the most field goals in any high school game in state history. Alvano scored 118 points in his senior season, the most points by a kicker in state history. As a junior, he was 11-of-14 on field goals, including a pair of 49-yarders in the state semifinals. Alvano was named a second-team junior All-American by MaxPreps.

According to MaxPreps, Alvano was also 119-of-120 in his career on extra points. He scored 200 points in his two seasons as the Warriors’ kicker. He handled kickoff duties for Westside for three seasons, booting 141 touchbacks in 225 attempts, including 73 as a senior. Alvano was named to the Omaha World-Herald All-Nebraska first team as both a junior and senior. He also earned a spot on the Lincoln Journal Star Super-State first team both seasons. Alvano also played soccer at Westside, which finished as the Class A state runner-up in his junior season.

Alvano was rated as a five-star prospect by Kohl’s Kicking, which ranked him as the nation's No. 5 kicker. He also had scholarship offers from Air Force, Army, Boston College and North Dakota State.
The narrower goal posts have given him trouble. Going from 23 feet 4 inches to 18 feet 6 inches has proven to be a bit much through his first year on campus.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
.....and don't be shocked when we pass on a short FG attempt to go for it on 4th and 4....or more

Yeah Alvano still not there yet imo. I wonder do we give someone else a chance if his struggles continue. Craziest thing because I thought this kid would be nails from day 1. Honestly I've been as disappointed with him as I have any on the roster. I guess because I had super high expectations.

Holla

Both EJ and Dowdell trucked DBs on runs. EJ looked very good IMO. He’s got some quicks and wiggle. I think they’re both going to be good this year. Ball security was good but the QBs didn’t get hit and would have at times if the D had been allowed to tackle them. There were some pass pro breakdowns that nobody has mentioned. Not surprising given how many youngsters played in front of the top 3 QBs.

I think everyone will drink the kool ade on the Dowdell TD run but I was much more impressed with EJ. Imo he's definitely number 1.

Dowdell kinda looked like what I thought he would. Straight line guy who looks very good when he has a hole. Generally he's gonna struggle creating much other than powering forward and moving the pile.

EJ showed shiftiness in the hole. Avoided tacklers. Showed power and nice jump cuts in tight spaces. He just looks much more comfortable than last year. Gabe and Rahmir will have their hands full trying to beat out that kid.

I do think there is a place for Dowdell though. Late in games I think he could be a beast if our OL gets to wearing people down. Between the tackles he runs hard. Just not a complete back yet imo.

Holla

I think everyone will drink the kool ade on the Dowdell TD run but I was much more impressed with EJ. Imo he's definitely number 1.

Dowdell kinda looked like what I thought he would. Straight line guy who looks very good when he has a hole. Generally he's gonna struggle creating much other than powering forward and moving the pile.

EJ showed shiftiness in the hole. Avoided tacklers. Showed power and nice jump cuts in tight spaces. He just looks much more comfortable than last year. Gabe and Rahmir will have their hands full trying to beat out that kid.

I do think there is a place for Dowdell though. Late in games I think he could be a beast if our OL gets to wearing people down. Between the tackles he runs hard. Just not a complete back yet imo.

Holla
EJ is the clear #1. Dowdwell looks like a nice change up.

QB stats from the game; combined Red and White team's stats

DR 16-22-1 239 yds ( 15 yds/Rec), 2 TD's, 64 yds Long pass

HH 8-13-0 163 yds (13 yds/Rec), 2TD's, 61 yds Long pass

DK 9-16-1 91 yds (10 yds/Rec), 0 TD, 26 yds Long pass

DR with the most amount of attempts, tied for most interceptions, tied for the most TD's, +3 on longest pass
DK with the second amount of passes, tied for most interceptions, last in TD's, -37 yds for longest pass
HH with the least amount of attempts, last in interceptions, tied for the most TD's, -3 for longest pass

The second scrimmage has DR and HH with 99 yd TD drives.

I'm sorry, but I do not see DR's dominance. Is he leading? Who knows? People want to see what they want to see. This reminds me of AM2 and the orgasms he gave everyone. One has been in battle, one has not. In the beginning, I would start with the vet and let the pup get experience. Let the better man win on the field of battle.
DR looked better, that was pretty easy to see, but it is subjective and your comments about the stats are true.

I am not against either one starting in September and can make a case for either guy. HH has had a year under his belt, while DR is just getting started. Do you do a dis-service to a true freshman by throwing him into the meat grinder right off the bat? Or do you ease him in to the beginning of the season?

I think both are going to play.. but I suspect the job will have to be won over by DR at least part way through the season anyway. You want the kid to earn his stripes, but however Matt Rhule wants to play it I guess.

Reactions: king_kong_
Did Doss play on Saturday?
Doss played both corner and receiver. I can’t believe we still have folks entertaining starting HH. DR slammed the door on that. Haarberg has improved, but still threw his wild passes and maybe three that were cleanly accurate.

Just to pump a little brake on the offense though, the QBs were not live and we played a ton of backup defenders. It would’ve been concerning had they not looked good.

Disagree with anyone scared about “Throwing DR into the meat grinder” This kid is not a typical freshman and he is the best QB on the roster by leaps and bounds, in other words he’s the clear cut starter.

Barney will be a dude, I’m saying at least our best return man since Demornay. (Not saying much) Hope he’s the starter there this year with no redshirt.

Neyor looked better than I expected. Lloyd’s hands have improved, he will clearly be a problem this year. EJ looked like the best back with Dowdell close behind. I was not impressed with Kwinton Ives at all aside from one blitz pickup. He was a defender magnet.

A lot to like from that game though! It still doesn’t feel real that we have a likely first round pick at QB

Fraternity brother.
Pretty sure they were brothers. Charles Thone changed the spelling of his name when he got into politics. Here is Cliff's obit:

LINCOLN - Clifford Thoene, 78, died April 18, 1999, in Lincoln.

Clifford was born March 24, 192l, to John A. Sr. and Kathryne Thoene
in Bow Valley. He served in WWII and received a purple heart and was a prisoner of war. He was the owner of a cafe and smoke shop in Lincoln. Clifford was a member of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, the Chamber
of Commerce, V.F.W. 131, American Legion Post #3, and former president
of the Nebraska Restaurant Association.

Survivors include his wife, Betsy; three brothers, John Thoene Jr.,
Bow Valley; Alton "Dick" Thoene, Hartington; and former Gov. Charley
Thoene, Lincoln
; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Sally (Westermark).

Wednesday, Apr. 28, 1999 - Cedar County News

Reactions: dinglefritz
He is not good. I know he had this "amazing" state championship game...but he is not good.
You're right. He's not good. Just had one game. Never mind he scored 118 points his senior year in HS, which was #2 for kickers nationally, made 16 field goals his Sr year, which was #9 nationally, and was rated the #5 kicker in the country coming out of HS.

Obviously, there's something that is bothering him. He started rough last year but finished better. He had a rough Spring Game no doubt. I'm willing to stay with him - but make sure we have enough competition that he's pushed to continue to get better.

Doss played both corner and receiver. I can’t believe we still have folks entertaining starting HH. DR slammed the door on that. Haarberg has improved, but still threw his wild passes and maybe three that were cleanly accurate.

Just to pump a little brake on the offense though, the QBs were not live and we played a ton of backup defenders. It would’ve been concerning had they not looked good.

Disagree with anyone scared about “Throwing DR into the meat grinder” This kid is not a typical freshman and he is the best QB on the roster by leaps and bounds, in other words he’s the clear cut starter.

Barney will be a dude, I’m saying at least our best return man since Demornay. (Not saying much) Hope he’s the starter there this year with no redshirt.

Neyor looked better than I expected. Lloyd’s hands have improved, he will clearly be a problem this year. EJ looked like the best back with Dowdell close behind. I was not impressed with Kwinton Ives at all aside from one blitz pickup. He was a defender magnet.

A lot to like from that game though! It still doesn’t feel real that we have a likely first round pick at QB
They asked Barney to early enroll. I don't know if I have ever heard a recruit say that. So I'm guessing he's playing quite a bit.

Just watched highlights of the game, not sure how much you can take from it, but it's a positive buzz right now. What the players and coaches do from today going forward to the first fall practice will show up quickly come game time.

We (or most of us) recall the legendary summer conditioning of the 90's when players took it upon themselves to get in the best shape possible while building a team unity that has not been matched since. If that kind of mentality and dedication come forth, the close games that Nebraska lost last season could be turned around with victory's in 2024. It should be interesting.

You're right. He's not good. Just had one game. Never mind he scored 118 points his senior year in HS, which was #2 for kickers nationally, made 16 field goals his Sr year, which was #9 nationally, and was rated the #5 kicker in the country coming out of HS.

Obviously, there's something that is bothering him. He started rough last year but finished better. He had a rough Spring Game no doubt. I'm willing to stay with him - but make sure we have enough competition that he's pushed to continue to get better.
Oh god, here we go.

That Westside team was scoring 7 TD's a game. Most of his points came off of extra points.

He had one amazing game at exactly the right time.

The rest of the season he basically averaged 1 made FG per game.

Hopefully he gets better at kicking because that is all he is asked to do.

Pretty sure they were brothers. Charles Thone changed the spelling of his name when he got into politics. Here is Cliff's obit:

LINCOLN - Clifford Thoene, 78, died April 18, 1999, in Lincoln.

Clifford was born March 24, 192l, to John A. Sr. and Kathryne Thoene
in Bow Valley. He served in WWII and received a purple heart and was a prisoner of war. He was the owner of a cafe and smoke shop in Lincoln. Clifford was a member of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, the Chamber
of Commerce, V.F.W. 131, American Legion Post #3, and former president
of the Nebraska Restaurant Association.

Survivors include his wife, Betsy; three brothers, John Thoene Jr.,
Bow Valley; Alton "Dick" Thoene, Hartington; and former Gov. Charley
Thoene, Lincoln
; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Sally (Westermark).

Wednesday, Apr. 28, 1999 - Cedar County News
Cliff Hillegass was the Cliff of Cliff's Notes and a frat bro of the former governor.

We were talking about different Cliffs. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh god, here we go.

That Westside team was scoring 7 TD's a game. Most of his points came off of extra points.

He had one amazing game at exactly the right time.

The rest of the season he basically averaged 1 made FG per game.

Hopefully he gets better at kicking because that is all he is asked to do.
Avg 1 made FG per game. Not bad for a team that is scoring 7 TDs a game. 16 made FG was still #9 nationally. How many did he miss his Sr year?

Avg 1 made FG per game. Not bad for a team that is scoring 7 TDs a game. 16 made FG was still #9 nationally. How many did he miss his Sr year?
No idea and I really don't care because all that matters is how many he is missing for NU. Which is a lot

9/15 for NU last season and what did he do in the spring game? 1/3?

If Raiola wasn't there, I think I would've watched Haarberg and thought "huh, I think he looks a little better as a passer? but we'll probably be running a run-first QB system again this year..."

Raiola was SO much better than the other QBs, so much better than I expected in general, he was doing things I don't know if I've ever seen from an NU QB. Just an absolutely different level of seeing the field, pocket awareness, ball placement, touch on the ball, it all looked effortless. If he's not the starter from game 1, the coaches are playing some kind of mind games. There is just no doubt in my mind that he's ready and he's easily our best option. It's gonna be a lot of fun watching him for the next 2-3 years!

Spring Games are weird. A big play one way seems like a failure on the other side. You really just need to see the difference makers and read that.

I think it was a fairly clean game considering the amount of inexperience playing. I really liked our wideouts/TE's for the most part. You really start looking the part when QB's are giving you the opportunities and placing the ball properly.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
No idea and I really don't care because all that matters is how many he is missing for NU. Which is a lot

9/15 for NU last season and what did he do in the spring game? 1/3?
So his Freshman season is roughly the same as Drew Brown's - percentage wise. Brown had more attempts. Brown turned out pretty good by the time he was done. Maybe Alvano will, maybe he won't. Let's give him some good competition and see what happens. I'm sure you were ready to get rid of Drew Brown after his 1st year.

Josh Brown hit only 70% his Rs-Fr season and dropped to 50% his Rs-So season. I'm sure you were ready to get rid of Josh after his Rs-So year. He finished his career with a 67% success rate. I think he did pretty well for himself AFTER his career at NU.

So his Freshman season is roughly the same as Drew Brown's - percentage wise. Brown had more attempts. Brown turned out pretty good by the time he was done. Maybe Alvano will, maybe he won't. Let's give him some good competition and see what happens. I'm sure you were ready to get rid of Drew Brown after his 1st year.

Josh Brown hit only 70% his Rs-Fr season and dropped to 50% his Rs-So season. I'm sure you were ready to get rid of Josh after his Rs-So year. He finished his career with a 67% success rate. I think he did pretty well for himself AFTER his career at NU.
I literally don't remember any of those kickers freshmen year.

But I hope your son or nephew starts making kicks.

• Haha
Spring Games are weird. A big play one way seems like a failure on the other side. You really just need to see the difference makers and read that.

I think it was a fairly clean game considering the amount of inexperience playing. I really liked our wideouts/TE's for the most part. You really start looking the part when QB's are giving you the opportunities and placing the ball properly.
I said last year when everyone was dogging the WR room, they are definitely better than they’ve looked. We had no one who could get them the ball. They also upgraded the room big time this year and with bigger bodies. Raiola is going to make some things happen this season. If he gets hurt, it will be more of what we saw last year.

DR looked better, that was pretty easy to see, but it is subjective and your comments about the stats are true.

I am not against either one starting in September and can make a case for either guy. HH has had a year under his belt, while DR is just getting started. Do you do a dis-service to a true freshman by throwing him into the meat grinder right off the bat? Or do you ease him in to the beginning of the season?

I think both are going to play.. but I suspect the job will have to be won over by DR at least part way through the season anyway. You want the kid to earn his stripes, but however Matt Rhule wants to play it I guess.

Don't overthink it. Play the best player... Period.

Holla

Holla
Dowdell reminded me of Ozigbo. Bonner was out there reminding me of Enunwa kinda...

Last edited:
The narrower goal posts have given him trouble. Going from 23 feet 4 inches to 18 feet 6 inches has proven to be a bit much through his first year on campus.
He kicked the 5 field goals in the state championship game with the same goal posts in place.

yea I thought he was a top 3 WR for us last year behind Lloyd & Coleman

made some plays deep & after the catch

missed some, too

I think he'll play a lot this season
It appeared to me he and DR already have some chemistry. There was the fairly long pass to the sideline where DR put it high where only AB could get it, and he went up high and got it. Then there was another pass over the middle, I think it was 3rd and long when DR threw a hard, fast ball over the middle between two defenders and AB handled it. I thought that catch was a pick the first time I saw it because the defenders were so close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT