ADVERTISEMENT

Questions

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007
Do we know anything more about Heinrich's knee injury?
Is Reimer expected back B4 Ill?
Can NU figure out a run defense in the next 10 days?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Any chance at all that Tannor could be used at ILB? Or would he be a liability?
I wouldn't trust tannor to separate the laundry. if someone can find a less productive college career, I'd love to see it. 50 games, probably closing in on 350 snaps played, 1 single sack.

5 and 15 should keep getting better with reps

5 took a bad angle on a 4th down last week that would've given us the ball back - nobody's mentioned it, but it was just as bad if not worse than 99's missed tackle on AOC during the next set of downs

Last edited:
Reactions: Redmich
reviewed the roster - man it appears we are grossly undersized at ILB (220 range)

looking at some other big ten depth charts we appear to be 10-20 lbs undersized compared to some other programs

our guys aren't necessarily making up for their lack of size with off the charts athleticism either

our edge guys are in the 240 range
Barrett Ruud played at 240

reviewed the roster - man it appears we are grossly undersized at ILB (220 range)

looking at some other big ten depth charts we appear to be 10-20 lbs undersized compared to some other programs

our guys aren't necessarily making up for their lack of size with off the charts athleticism either

our edge guys are in the 240 range
Barrett Ruud played at 240
Reimer has a set of wheels for an ILB. Kolarevic is going to have to step up. His testing numbers are pretty high. Reimer and Kolarevic are athletic guys, but undersized. Wynn, Hutmacher and Robinson are all big boys. One would think they should be able to figure out how to gum up the middle and make running the ball less easy.

The rest of the season it’s going to be a heavy heavy dose of running teams..

Only Devito and McCarthy from Michigan worry me with their passing game..
The other 3 teams their QB‘s are not very good or terrible..
Chins bend not break/wait until the red zone approach turned middling QBs into game managers. When the defense bowed up and gets the opponent behind in down and distance, Chins approach baled them out. Get after the QB and make him earn it.

Reimer has a set of wheels for an ILB. Kolarevic is going to have to step up. His testing numbers are pretty high. Reimer and Kolarevic are athletic guys, but undersized. Wynn, Hutmacher and Robinson are all big boys. One would think they should be able to figure out how to gum up the middle and make running the ball less easy.
I think Reimer is a tweener between a strong safety/JoJo Domann type and an ILB

Domann was listed a 230 and played on the outside
Reimer would be a solid backup at ILB at most upper level programs - but he is far and away the best we have

I wouldn't trust tannor to separate the laundry. if someone can find a less productive college career, I'd love to see it. 50 games, probably closing in on 350 snaps played, 1 single sack.

5 took a bad angle on a 4th down last week that would've given us the ball back - nobody's mentioned it, but it was just as bad if not worse than 99's missed tackle on AOC during the next set of downs
Tannor Morgan at Minny might be the only player that has done nothing and seems to get worse...after 45 career starts.

Even with everyone healthy, expecting this D to magically perform well was a dream. There are many and obvious reasons for this expected lack of performance. For some strange reason, I don't understand why we have not had LB's that step up in the hole to meet the ball carrier, we tend to read and engage when they are 3 yards past the LOS.

To Pennsy's comment, barring a miracle of some kind, we do not have the horses nor the technique to consistently stop any opposing offense consistently. That, in turn, as he aptly stated, requires our O to produce more. That is a formula for disaster for this team and neither side of the ball can control the LOS. Our running game is too easily stuffed with the inability to run block consistently. The truly amazing part is our ability to hit some pass plays from time to time when other areas of the team are floundering.

I think Reimer is a tweener between a strong safety/JoJo Domann type and an ILB

Domann was listed a 230 and played on the outside
Reimer would be a solid backup at ILB at most upper level programs - but he is far and away the best we have
Hopefully Frost’s replacement will be more interested in recruiting good defensive players than he was.

But his hat ceremony all those years ago was epic. How could this fail? Plus surely there were some sick edits, that usually means they are going to be really good.

it is so odd that Mathis isn't starting and playing significantly more snaps than Tannor

I don't believe he has started a game - either his talent has been overstated or he has somehow pissed off the coaches

something seems off - maybe it's just his nature but he seems emotionless out there

I think Kolarevic is definitely most suited to fill in ILB if we need it… and we kinda need it.

Funny you mention his athleticism because there was a play where OConnell threw a great pass over his head, but boy it sure looked like he could have jumped to tip it. I watched the replay and confirmed it did not look out of reach for a guy who I believe had a shocking vertical test. Since he was beat anyway, I just wish he would have tried.

I for one feel he'd be better at ilb...
Watched some defensive snaps against PU. They used Tannor and Butler as floaters on a few plays. NU's edge guys have to do a better job holding the edge on runs. Looked like interior guys adequately plugging. The run game is where NU really misses Domann.

it is so odd that Mathis isn't starting and playing significantly more snaps than Tannor

I don't believe he has started a game - either his talent has been overstated or he has somehow pissed off the coaches

something seems off - maybe it's just his nature but he seems emotionless out there
I kind of wonder if he hasn't exactly been in tip top shape after his distraction filled offseason

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT