ADVERTISEMENT

How do #1 rated QBs do in college?

HUSKERBILL

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2001

Most are very productive. The worst don’t start due to other star QBs at the school (Phillip Sims never beat out AJ McCarron who was a star). It should be noted that Sims was the lowest ranked #1 QB ever. So the chances were highest for him to be the one that didn’t pan out.

3 didn’t get drafted - one was
shea Patterson who was a good college QB
3 were the number 1 overall pick.

Overall I think history shows we should end up pretty happy with Raiola’s outcome here at Nebraska. It’s almost guaranteed he plays in the NFL. There is as good of a chance of him being the top overall pick as there is of him not making the league.

The only thing that holds him back is another really good QB taking the starting spot

Looking at you Danny Kaelin.

Most are very productive. The worst don’t start due to other star QBs at the school (Phillip Sims never beat out AJ McCarron who was a star). It should be noted that Sims was the lowest ranked #1 QB ever. So the chances were highest for him to be the one that didn’t pan out.

Overall I think history shows we should end up pretty happy with Raiola’s outcome here at Nebraska. It’s almost guaranteed he plays in the NFL. There is as good of a chance of him being the top overall pick as there is of him not making the league.

The only thing that holds him back is another really good QB taking the starting spot

I wonder how many started as a true freshman.

Could be. Often the big star is undercut by the hard working scheduled back-up

Reactions: HUSKERBILL

5 star QBs have about a 1 in 3 chance historically of living up to their expectations.

USA today seems to flip flopping between service rankings here. 2010 & 2013 aren’t consistent . Mostly the services have the same #1- so maybe when the differ, they choose the “better story”

2014 - rivals ranked Deshaun Watson #1 Duel. Kyle Allen #1 Pro (both 5 Stars)… Allen makes better for the article… Same in 2016 with Patterson- he was the #1 Duel and The #1 Pro- Jacob Eason, both 5 stars. Eason is still floating around the league… I guess they default by over all ranking then. But 2 of the “busts” had 1As that were still in the NFL in 2023

2010- Phillip Simms might have been a bust but show me a good QB in the class not name Teddy. Probably missing someone but I see one QB from that class that made the NFL (Bridgewater) and no one was ranking him #1. Just a bad class… we had our own bust in that class. We all chanted Bring in Carnes, until they did

But at the end of it all- the article states that if you land the #1 overall guy, you will probably be just fine

Last edited:
Put in that work. Don't even take the summer off. 1 word of advice.. make sure your little gf is 2nd or 3rd in everything you do otherwise you'll end up like AM.

5 star QBs have about a 1 in 3 chance historically of living up to their expectations.
Depends on what you call expectations.

1st round draft pick is a little better than 1 in 3 and almost all of those are at the top end of the round. Drafted is more like 75%.

Most of the guys that went undrafted or fell off had injury or discipline issues. It's probably safe to say that none of them came into a QB room as bad as ours.

most of those names beyond the obvious, i don't recall. but i'm old.

Last edited:
I’m still surprised maning hasn’t moved on from Texas. #1QB and riding the pine for at least 2 years doesn’t make sense. Think he would want to go someplace where he could play.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I’m still surprised maning hasn’t moved on from Texas. #1QB and riding the pine for at least 2 years doesn’t make sense. Think he would want to go someplace where he could play.
He’s patiently waiting for a track to explode on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT