ADVERTISEMENT

Youth Wrestling Development - Omaha

Car&Lando

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2012
Some months back asked about different programs for my 9...now 10 year old son. I ended up putting him at MWC and he is wrestling first year novice this season. He has completely fallen in love with the sport, though some of that I believe is due to some decent success he is having at these novice tournaments. With that said, I watch these open kids who have been wrestling since they were 6 years old and he is so far away from their skill level it's hard to fathom him getting that good. I would like to do everything in my power to allow him to get there though and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things we could be doing outside of club practice, tournaments and such?

-Are there any good wrestling camps in the area that are good to attend?
-Any recommendations on private lessons?
-His club only goes to about 5-6 official tournaments. Should I be registering him for more so he can get more competitive matches in? He loves the tournaments and would be game for any extra matches.
-At what point do you consider letting him wrestle in some open tournaments so he can get his ass handed to him against better kids? Is that at all beneficial?

He is going to do the Greco/Freestyle season with MWC.

Thanks, I come from a strictly basketball family and outside of knowing the basics and scoring, know very little about wrestling. I actually quite like it that way as I let his coaches do their thing and just sit back and enjoy watching him wrestle. I have watched my kids do a lot of team sports in their lives and there is no other feeling than watching your child compete 1 v 1 on the mat. It's awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News