Texas Tech
UTSA
Rice
Baylor
UTEP
N. Texas
Texas St

Last edited:
Not sure there is a school that would fit academically that makes sense. Outside of Northwestern all the schools are public, that would probably eliminate the top 3 academic schools, Rice, Baylor and TCU, from contention.

Houston would bring media and population. Other than that, not seeing a fit.

giphy.gif

It is interesting that Matt is hiring Texas high school coaches though which proves the point that going to the B10 messed up N recruiting down there, and this is an attempted fix for that (try diagraming that sentence).

Well if there were a Texas school or two here is that it could do for the BIG and Nebrasks

Let's just say the new Big 10 commish is feeling a little froggy and says that the BIG needs to get into Texas for TV sets and to tap recruits. The top three schools are as followed. The plusses and minuses.

TCU- Gets the BIG into Dallas Ft. Worth Market. The kind of $$$$$ the BIG could get for TCU would do wonders as far as stadium expansion and recruiting. Football teams and Basketball teams are solid. TCU academics are very good and could make a realistic pitch for BIG admission. Negative- Smaller schools with a smaller stadium. Could the BIG overlook the Texas "CHRISTAIN" University

Houston- Biggest TV market in Texas and some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the entire US. Would put a team right next to SEC power LSU. Houston has shown that they are willing to spend big dollars on athletics and Houston's Football and Basketball teams have proven to be very good over the years. Negative-would have to lose the commuter school reputation and add on to their stadium.

Texas Tech - Solid but not great athletic programs. Academics are good not great. TV market not the biggest and recruiting is good, not great. Does bring you very solid fanbase and larger stadium then the previous two.

I think getting a texas team or two helps with Nebraska getting more into texas like they were back in the 80's-90's.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
It is interesting that Matt is hiring Texas high school coaches though which proves the point that going to the B10 messed up N recruiting down there, and this is an attempted fix for that (try diagraming that sentence).
Certainly K-State is all in down there. Did K-State negotiate a special deal with American Airlines to get those direct flights from DFW to MHK, a town of just 55,000 people? How did that work?

Well if there were a Texas school or two here is that it could do for the BIG and Nebrasks

Let's just say the new Big 10 commish is feeling a little froggy and says that the BIG needs to get into Texas for TV sets and to tap recruits. The top three schools are as followed. The plusses and minuses.

TCU- Gets the BIG into Dallas Ft. Worth Market. The kind of $$$$$ the BIG could get for TCU would do wonders as far as stadium expansion and recruiting. Football teams and Basketball teams are solid. TCU academics are very good and could make a realistic pitch for BIG admission. Negative- Smaller schools with a smaller stadium. Could the BIG overlook the Texas "CHRISTAIN" University

Houston- Biggest TV market in Texas and some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the entire US. Would put a team right next to SEC power LSU. Houston has shown that they are willing to spend big dollars on athletics and Houston's Football and Basketball teams have proven to be very good over the years. Negative-would have to lose the commuter school reputation and add on to their stadium.

Texas Tech - Solid but not great athletic programs. Academics are good not great. TV market not the biggest and recruiting is good, not great. Does bring you very solid fanbase and larger stadium then the previous two.

I think getting a texas team or two helps with Nebraska getting more into texas like they were back in the 80's-90's.
If the Big Ten wanted into Texas, they'd settle only for UT or A&M. Of course, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

If the Big Ten wanted into Texas, they'd settle only for UT or A&M. Of course, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
I get it maybe poaching Texas A&M from the SEC might work. Because those jokers hate Texas so much they would leave a conference not to be around them. But I think that the BIG needs 2 teams from Texas. It would help get Nebraska back to being Nebraska again. And that helps the BIG

Certainly K-State is all in down there. Did K-State negotiate a special deal with American Airlines to get those direct flights from DFW to MHK? How did that work?
Hilarious that you should ask me. I was, let me say, an official when that all went down. Essentially, AA asked for a revenue guarantee for the first go-around. We needed them as part of our NBAF proposal to the federal government. Then-governor Sebelius agreed with our concept. So, we had a state guarantee as part of the AA package. Additionally, Ft. Riley agreed to certain user conditions. Anyway, it never cost the state a dime as the airline has been a success here. The $2 billion NBAF opens later this year. It's been over a decade in the making.

NBAF%20Front.jpg

Reactions: 9and4
I get it maybe poaching Texas A&M from the SEC might work. Because those jokers hate Texas so much they would leave a conference not to be around them. But I think that the BIG needs 2 teams from Texas. It would help get Nebraska back to being Nebraska again. And that helps the BIG
The magic bullet for Nebraska isn't the composition of the conference but the quality of the coaching. And as our EMAW friend @AVeritas has pointed out, we have as many connections in and to Texas as we've had in a long time. So while we may never get back "to being Nebraska again" (curious phrase), we have a staff with deep ties to Texas, and that's the most important thing for us to be competitive again, which is the first step in returning to national prominence.

Last edited:
Hilarious that you should ask me. I was, let me say, an official when that all went down. Essentially, AA asked for a revenue guarantee for the first go-around. We needed them as part of our NBAF proposal to the federal government. Then-governor Sebelius agreed with our concept. So, we had a state guarantee as part of the AA package. It never cost the state a dime as the airline has been a success here. The $2 billion NBAF opens later this year. It's been over a decade in the making.

NBAF%20Front.jpg
Awesome news for Manhattan and, I assume, Fort Riley/Junction City.

Awesome news for Manhattan and, I assume, Fort Riley/Junction City.
The airline has been a godsend for the area, including K-State athletics. Not having to drive through Lawrence to KCI makes it worthwhile in and of itself. Ha.

The NBAF will be an economic driver here for decades. Just how big is yet to be determined, but there are significant developments already tied to it.

The airline has been a godsend for the area, including K-State athletics. Not having to drive through Lawrence to KCI makes it worthwhile in and of itself. Ha.

The NBAF will be an economic driver here for decades. Just how big is yet to be determined, but there are significant developments already tied to it.

I loved living in Lawrence and teaching at KU 2009-2013. Sorry, not sorry.

Reactions: ssmill777
Lawrence is a nice college town.
FWIW, my job at KU required me several times a year to go to Manhattan, where I hosted meetings, workshops and conferences with the KSU School of Journalism. While I enjoyed my time there, I was always happy to get back to Lawrence.

FWIW, my job at KU required me several times a year to go to Manhattan, where I hosted meetings, workshops and conferences with the KSU School of Journalism. While I enjoyed my time there, I was always happy to get back to Lawrence.
You are a fine reflection of Ku's general attitude toward little brother. I often visited Lawrence as an MHK official and was happy to get home to Manhappiness. I always took a shower upon return. See how that works?

Reactions: 9and4
As someone who lives in Dallas.....this would be amazing and would love it. I would go to every husker game

also, the weather is great and Texas is the epicenter of football...great atmosphere and venues

You are a fine reflection of Ku's general attitude toward little brother. I often visited Lawrence as an MHK official and was happy to get home to Manhappiness. I always took a shower upon return. See how that works?
I apologize if my remarks came off as condescending.

We worked jointly with Ku to bring cancer center funding to Ku Med and NBAF to MHK. The attitude too many have about one another is unhealthy.
It's not unique to KU. I taught for 10 years at CSU and 4 years at CU. The assumptions that each made of the other were not healthy.

My bad.

Reactions: AVeritas
Who cares about KSU or KU, this is a thread about some other irrelevent topic.
Other than arguing that K-State (and now KU!) have surpassed Nebraska in football in large part due to their connections to Texas, which our new coaching staff are rebuilding.

Does that work?

• Love
We worked jointly with Ku to bring cancer center funding to Ku Med and NBAF to MHK. The attitude too many have about one another is unhealthy.
Personally I always questioned the wisdom of bringing this facility to the heart of livestock production. Not a matter of IF but WHEN....you know what I'm saying??

Personally I always questioned the wisdom of bringing this facility to the heart of livestock production. Not a matter of IF but WHEN....you know what I'm saying??
The CDC is in the heart of Atlanta. The former NBAF was located on Long Island, NY. This one is 'hardened' to withstand both the worst tornadoes and earthquakes possible. Much of it is underground.

Other than arguing that K-State (and now KU!) have surpassed Nebraska in football in large part due to their connections to Texas, which our new coaching staff are rebuilding.

Does that work?
You keep believing this! Let us all know how it works out for you 🤣

You keep believing this! Let us all know how it works out for you 🤣
Nothing to believe. It's simple data.
K-State in 2022: 10 wins and a conference title
Kansas is 2022: 6 wins and a bowl game.
Nebraska in 2022: 4 wins and two coaching changes.

What I believe makes no difference.

• Love
The CDC is in the heart of Atlanta. The former NBAF was located on Long Island, NY. This one is 'hardened' to withstand both the worst tornadoes and earthquakes possible. Much of it is underground.
It wasn't actually on Long Island - it was on Plum Island, which has no population and only the people who work at the facility are allowed on the island. But the facility is old and needs to be replaced. I think it was also getting harder and harder to keep it secure.

Last edited:
It wasn't actually on Long Island - it was on Plum Island, which has no population and only the people who work at the facility are allowed on the island. But the facility is old and needs to be replaced. I think was also getting harder and harder to keep it secure.
data=9XrJVWog6tzzcQBpTq4U1BSbg1_oQB66GkkPJhs-5mOKEho1bOd9ORBSdYo9kMBOMuQsaKV2ChR0dENq_tD8MqJGWR6_TUXDMNygQLLDcVSBogZyEgsRK7H1cRGVA9C4U1EYxTSeV0j_tj4rQeETDsPWZXDJyF1h2KwBqKrtD5ms53fYtC1FPPs-RU0RGogt0NFjTi_BkevVwTJietWLTN9hA25jZageVj8QF2oT8DyYjACd6DodxOz2ov7C

To my knowledge the island is an actual island only accessible by boat. I'd rather have any animal disease out there with winds blowing out to sea rather than in the middle of America's breadbasket

To my knowledge the island is an actual island only accessible by boat. I'd rather have any animal disease out there with winds blowing out to sea rather than in the middle of America's breadbasket
Well, I'm glad you weren't making the decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT