ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Yet to Come?

rje-3

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2004
Lots of predictions for the off-season, here are a few I’m thinking about…

+ Few top players with the extra year choose to stay. Many will transfer or try to go pro, citing “I love the team, the State, the fans and HCSF. I wish him the best, but I feel a change of scenery is best for everyone. Thank you …”

+ Record transfer portal additions from mid-tier players. Some may try the waters and hope HCSF will take them back if they have no options. If we start seeing lower unit players moving on to Kearney, Wayne, South Dakota, NWMSU, North Dakota, etc., it will be a bad omen.

+ We are unlikely to see many, if any Top 100/250 4-stars headed our way this year. It will be a 3-star heavy class with the hope of adding a bunch of disgruntled players from other programs. The odds of QB Raiola coming here down the road with his options … 0% IMO … unless his Dad joins the staff!

+ Former 4/5-star transfers Markese Stepp. (So) and Tyreke Johnson (So) may be among the first to move on. I’m not sure Stepp even played today, despite both Ervin and Johnson being injured. Have we seen Johnson in a game for the last two months? Whether they stay or go, it points out how difficult it is to bet on the Portal to turnaround a program. Neither of these top talents made any impact this year. It worked well for Toure, but he was a Grad Transfer, not so much for the others.

+ Does Frost go JC or Transfer Portal as his first choice? I like JC as it’s a bunch of hungry guys seeking opportunity … rather than people not happy about playing time somewhere else. Perhaps go Portal for Grad Transfer Seniors with one season left, like Toure, and JC for others? Without a major infusion of talent that can get on the field immediately at OL and DE (rusher), we (and HCSF) are in trouble.

+ How big does Frost go after a transfer QB or does he work to convince AM to try once more to see if their partnership can produce a different outcome? He’s pushed All-In on AM already, wby not give it one my try if AM is up to it? If AM comes back, I suspect Smothers goes to the Portal. His stock didn’t go down today.

+ Defense looked good most of year, but they had everyone back. Not the case next year. They will lose most of the top players, with major loses likely at DL and DB. If Farmer is the standard we can expect at DB next year, we have BIG problems.

+ With so many big name staffs turning over, can Frost even convince top coaches to come here? What attracts them to work for a coach on the hottest of hot seats, vice go with a new staff that has a 3-4 year runway ahead of them. The only answers might be allegiance to NU or HCSF, or loads of cash. We will soon know. I think he needs proven success or he won’t attract the on-field talent he needs. Perhaps looking at Husker legacy and Husker-tied coaches will be his focus?

+ The sellout streak may continue thanks to some generous donors, but watch the seat availability when the renewals start hitting. Will they start reducing donations to keep people committed to season tickets? We upgraded from NEZ last year to ES Lower Bowl this year, at a decent cost … it was worth it. No comparison when it came to comfort and enjoying the game, not even close. From uncomfortable for entire games, taking 30-minutes to get out at the end, to actually having room to move and let people by without hurting me or them. Food vendors actually make it to our seats throughout the game. Restrooms are a 3-minute trip for guys, vice at least 10-minutes minimum in the NEZ for us. I have to believe if people sat in these “older” sections they would be shocked. Maybe they would be shocked by the donation as well, but the game experience is completely different … even when the Huskers are not winning. The key to future sellouts IMO is upgrading the entire experience across the stadium. If you do that and start fielding a winning product on the field, perhaps the donations are not that big of deal. I sense that fielding ”just a competitive product” is no longer acceptable to the fans, unless it produces a Bowl Game.

+ When will we see ADTA start looking to reduce stadium capacity by eliminating seats in cramped rows? While creating room between rows in the NEZ higher up may not be possible, removing 5 seats per row probably is. Most rows have an odd number of of seats anyway. Might we see ADTA announce a closure of sections of South Stadium next year “for needed upgrades” with other motives also playing into it?

+ If HCSF doesn't survive next year, the new staff will inherit some nice practice and team facilities.

Love my Huskers, but the weeks and months ahead will be turbulent and painful in many respects. Unfortunately, the betting odds are against HCSF this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News