ADVERTISEMENT

Why is the Big 10 blowing off free ESPN time?

The Chicago Tribune's excellent cfb writer Teddy Greenstein raises an interesting question today - why didn't the Big 10 avail itself of free publicity this week on ESPN?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...days-greenstein-spt-0728-20150727-column.html

And why isn't this board assailing Riley for vacationing in Texas instead of spending a day in Bristol on his own?

Until Riley or one of his assistants starts making asinine comments like the below I have a hard time bashing anything done in regards to recruiting.....this appeared to be the norm for Bo and his clowns. If Riley and his coaches start to get sloppy in the recruiting game you can bet that people will bitch.

NU will send out eight coaches to recruit this week. Head coach Bo Pelini and offensive coordinator Tim Beck are the guys who are not likely to hit the road. Recruiting coordinator Ross Els said Nebraska had a slightly less-coordinated plan of which players to visit this week vs. the first bye week, when NU visited all of its top prospects.

"This week there was some gray area of (assistants) really not deciding where they wanted to go until the last minute," Els said. "There were either options or it was a situation where we said … I don’t know. It was just different for some reason of being a little bit unsure on where to go. I guess I don’t know why."

The Chicago Tribune's excellent cfb writer Teddy Greenstein raises an interesting question today - why didn't the Big 10 avail itself of free publicity this week on ESPN?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...days-greenstein-spt-0728-20150727-column.html

And why isn't this board assailing Riley for vacationing in Texas instead of spending a day in Bristol on his own?

Am trying to picture Pelini doing the "car wash" in Bristol. Can you imagine Bo sitting live with Cowturd? You thought the Harbaugh interview was uncomfortable/awkward.

Riley took time off his vacation to host jordan stevenson. Also one of the big ten coaches didn't agree to go on the car wash so the whole conference didn't end up going.

Until Riley or one of his assistants starts making asinine comments like the below I have a hard time bashing anything done in regards to recruiting.....this appeared to be the norm for Bo and his clowns. If Riley and his coaches start to get sloppy in the recruiting game you can bet that people will bitch.

NU will send out eight coaches to recruit this week. Head coach Bo Pelini and offensive coordinator Tim Beck are the guys who are not likely to hit the road. Recruiting coordinator Ross Els said Nebraska had a slightly less-coordinated plan of which players to visit this week vs. the first bye week, when NU visited all of its top prospects.

"This week there was some gray area of (assistants) really not deciding where they wanted to go until the last minute," Els said. "There were either options or it was a situation where we said … I don’t know. It was just different for some reason of being a little bit unsure on where to go. I guess I don’t know why."

That story obviously validates for you how you feel about Bo. He's no longer here though so who really cares.

Why isn't Riley there now?

Can we back up a moment?

These in studio ESPN interviews are God Awful. The vast majority of the ESPN personalities don't even watch college football. Do you think Stephen A. Smith even knew who coached at Boston College before today?

To suggest recruits are sitting at home right now watching ESPN and deciding which school to attend because a coach is on Sportscenter at 11:42 Eastern is God Damn preposterous.

Reactions: DeevDan
Can we back up a moment?

These in studio ESPN interviews are God Awful. The vast majority of the ESPN personalities don't even watch college football. Do you think Stephen A. Smith even knew who coached at Boston College before today?

To suggest recruits are sitting at home right now watching ESPN and deciding which school to attend because a coach is on Sportscenter at 11:42 Eastern is God Damn preposterous.
I don't necessarily disagree with you on the very limited point you make (recruits basing their decision on the appearances), but some more in-tune people certainly hold an opposite opinion, at least considering the visits to have a larger purpose than securing immediate commitments. From the same column:

Same goes for the Big Ten's decision to spurn the annual ESPN "Car Wash," during which coaches come to Bristol, Conn., to promote their programs on TV, radio and online. Every SEC, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 coach opted to participate except for Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury, but the Big Ten coaches balked this year.

Think about that: Coaches turning down a broadcasting partner offering free promotion to a nation of fans and recruits.

Three coaches went ahead and made their own arrangements: Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald, Michigan State's Mark Dantonio and Franklin, the second-year coach at Penn State. (An Illinois spokesman said Tim Beckman declined because of a scheduling issue.)

"ESPN obviously offers an enormous platform to talk about our team," NU spokesman Paul Kennedy said via email, "and we get to visit with a huge group of Northwestern alums. ESPN was nice enough to extend the invite again this year, and we didn't hesitate."

It's a shame so many others did.

So it's fact, not opinion, that at least three Big 10 coaches think it is worth it, two of whom (and maybe three, this year at least) are out-recruiting Nebraska this cycle; and it is certainly a fact that Pelini was routinely savaged on this board for his vacations.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on the very limited point you make (recruits basing their decision on the appearances), but some more in-tune people certainly hold an opposite opinion, at least considering the visits to have a larger purpose than securing immediate commitments. From the same column:

Same goes for the Big Ten's decision to spurn the annual ESPN "Car Wash," during which coaches come to Bristol, Conn., to promote their programs on TV, radio and online. Every SEC, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 coach opted to participate except for Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury, but the Big Ten coaches balked this year.

Think about that: Coaches turning down a broadcasting partner offering free promotion to a nation of fans and recruits.

Three coaches went ahead and made their own arrangements: Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald, Michigan State's Mark Dantonio and Franklin, the second-year coach at Penn State. (An Illinois spokesman said Tim Beckman declined because of a scheduling issue.)

"ESPN obviously offers an enormous platform to talk about our team," NU spokesman Paul Kennedy said via email, "and we get to visit with a huge group of Northwestern alums. ESPN was nice enough to extend the invite again this year, and we didn't hesitate."

So it's fact, not opinion, that at least three Big 10 coaches think it is worth it, two of whom (and maybe three, this year at least) are out-recruiting Nebraska this cycle; and it is certainly a fact that Pelini was routinely savaged on this board for his vacations.

I'm not a puppet. I can think for myself.

Wait....I thought Pelini was no longer here so who really cares? Exactly what I thought in regards to you bringing up Riley's vacation in your OP. I knew what you were getting at...and that's why I responded with some of Bo's minions idiocy. Let me know when Riley and his staffs recruiting plans are in shambles and making stupid comments left and right. Until then, I won't be complaining about his recruiting tactics

Reactions: huskerbux
What's funny is that people's hate for ESPN , blind them to the fact everybody the majority of sports news is viewed via an ESPN outlet.

Besides people who really watch sports, get highlights and news from all sports stations.

Its the fair weather fan that watches ESPN only.

We should always take the opportunity to be on ESPN.

Maybe you've missed some things along the way that lessen the impact of Riley's absence. Perhaps you watched last year's national championship? Riley did a little show on ESPN that night while the game was ongoing - if you get a chance, it's a nice thing to watch. Are you on Twitter? If you are, you might want to follow Mike Riley or any of his recruiting assistants - you might have to unfollow some accounts first (I suggest unfollowing "fake" ones). Perhaps you'd prefer to witness a press conference instead? Be sure to prepare your questions in advance, block out plenty of time (they run long now), and don't be surprised if they have to stop the event before you get your turn to ask.

Or, you could simply think harder before bringing that weak arse troll crap back to the board. Dare to dream.

It was reported Riley came home early from his vacation to make sure he was on campus for Stevenson's visit. Yeahhhh, probably why nobody is bitching. Last year our recruiting guru's would still be trying to figure out who does what.

Riley did the championship game.......ease up everyone. They go to Saban's office in Alabama more than he ever goes to Bristol (other than to make commercials) - we need to get to that level

I think it's only fair to note that this board savages everything: old coach, new coach, old poster, new poster, troll, saint, mod, soccer, cycling, cops, non cops, gun owners, non gun owners, man, woman, & child, hairy, shaven, white, red, black, normal uni's, alt uni's, road uni's, nike, adidas, bob, tom, carl, grass, fieldturf, food, prospects, ex prospects, players, ex players, cars, booze, drugs, sauce, weather, short lists, long lists...:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:o_O

GBR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT